Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do they want the work or not?

Options
  • 26-06-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new gas boiler to replace my 20 year old Potterton. I contacted 6 companies. Three got back to say that they would arrange a visit from a salesman/person. No reply from the other 3.
    Then nothing!
    This was over two months ago.
    What annoyed me more is that one of them is the company that I had my maintenance contract with.
    I know that you are not allowed to advertise here but is there any reason why they are not bothering? I have the cash ready and at this point want to get it done before next winter.

Rant over.

Comments

frodi wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new gas boiler to replace my 20 year old Potterton. I contacted 6 companies. Three got back to say that they would arrange a visit from a salesman/person. No reply from the other 3.
    Then nothing!
    This was over two months ago.
    What annoyed me more is that one of them is the company that I had my maintenance contract with.
    I know that you are not allowed to advertise here but is there any reason why they are not bothering? I have the cash ready and at this point want to get it done before next winter.

Rant over.

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Most plumbers are busy now but there's no excuse for standing you up
    The Heating & Plumbing Association Of Ireland has a list of RGI plumbers HAPAI

Or The RGI site has a list RGI Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

@Gary71 Dublin

I'll check these out, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm experiencing similar problems.

I've about a days worth of plumbing work to be done and I'm struggling to find an interested plumber.

I even tried placing an advert on tradesmen.ie and got no replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Frodi
    Your "location" here might put some off. :cool:
    Only joking, but laughed when I saw it.

There's good gas installers here, its not illegal to ask if they would be interested or could they recommended somebody reliable.
    They just need your area.
    They should reply via pm.

I don't do gas.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Just an update.
    I contacted 12 who were in my postal district on this list via email as well as our old maintainence company again. This time 6 + 1 get back to me. One has already had a site visit and four have arranged to call up.

I guess that there are decent folk out there, it's just a matter of finding them.
    With a bit of luck by this time next week I'll have some quotes to compare and be able to check them out.

Thanks all.

If people are too busy I'm happy for them. There is no excuse for not showing up or phoning to cancel. Gets our trade a bad reputation

Just another update. 7 visits later. 4 gave me a figure to literally just replace the boiler. 2 went more detailed and suggested upgrading the whole system. This made sense when they explained the reasons. Things such as the flue being too close to a window and the wrong size piping from the main to the boiler.
    Net result is that I am now planning to spend twice as much as planned but I'm happy to do so. This should future proof the system for a good many years to come.
    I'm also planning to upgrade the attic insulation but that is something I can manage myself.

Thanks to all for their help and input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

It's crazy I am.currently trying to engage a variety of different professions trades businesses for completely different reasons and they seem to not want the business!!!! Endless phonecalls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

frodi wrote: »
    Just another update. 7 visits later. 4 gave me a figure to literally just replace the boiler. 2 went more detailed and suggested upgrading the whole system. This made sense when they explained the reasons. Things such as the flue being too close to a window and the wrong size piping from the main to the boiler.
    Net result is that I am now planning to spend twice as much as planned but I'm happy to do so. This should future proof the system for a good many years to come.
    I'm also planning to upgrade the attic insulation but that is something I can manage myself.

Thanks to all for their help and input.

Hi,

Everyone is busy these days or away in sunny places, not their fault that somebody wants to do it during summer builders hollidays... :)

Dont forget the SEAI grant and go with zoning of the radiators as much as possible.

Have fun...

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Everyone is busy these days or away in sunny places, not their fault that somebody wants to do it during summer builders hollidays... :)

Dont forget the SEAI grant and go with zoning of the radiators as much as possible.

Have fun...

Wait till we get the first cold night & the heating needs to be used. There'll be thread after thread about the heating guys being busy & having to wait. My tip to readers is get the boiler serviced now & don't wait till it gets cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Wait till we get the first cold night & the heating needs to be used. There'll be thread after thread about the heating guys being busy & having to wait. My tip to readers is get the boiler serviced now & don't wait till it gets cold.

Agree with you do it now before the first cold ... but "my plumber" is away for few weeks and i have to wait until his return and for his mates and other builders and electrician and so on...it was my holiday and only time i can do this work without been ripped-off.
    Is well known that when they are busy they throw some high out of decency prices so that cannot refuse the work and hoping to catch you in the n€t ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

I do oil boiler servicing.

If I got paid €2 from everybody who calls saying "I thought I'd be good and call you before the rush" I'd be rich.
    But because nobody calls APRIL MAY JUNE or JULY, I'm not rich. :)

ps
    If you want to call me now, wait till April. :p

Advertisement