Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't Classic Hits 4fm available nationwide?

Options
  • 25-06-2017 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Why isn't this radio station available to all the country? It seems to only be available in population centres like Limerick, Dublin etc. Why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Multi-city licence only, insufficient spectrum for a nationwide licence. Newstalk operate on a quasi-national licence for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

4FM = 4 cities - Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And Clare while Waterford for some reason isn't included even though there is plenty of room on the FM band for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Cush wrote: »
    Multi-city licence only, insufficient spectrum for a nationwide licence. Newstalk operate on a quasi-national licence for this reason.

Couldn't Classic Hits and Newstalk pay for places on Saorview if they wanted to be on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Couldn't Classic Hits and Newstalk pay for places on Saorview if they wanted to be on it?
    Yes but no independent has done so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

The original thinking behind the licence was that there wasn't any radio stations catering for the 50s market in Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The original thinking behind the licence was that there wasn't any radio stations catering for the 50s  market in Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway.
    There's bugger all radio in the South East when you exclude the nationals, let alone a station that targets the 50s market.
    lertsnim wrote: »

And Clare while Waterford for some reason isn't included even though there is plenty of room on the FM band for it.
    Clare because residents would get overspill from Limerick and Cork regardless so I suppose they were pencilled in to make it official. The South East on the other hand seems to be carefully avoided.

There's bugger all radio in the South East when you exclude the nationals, let alone a station that targets the 50s market.

Clare because residents would get overspill from Limerick and Cork regardless so I suppose they were pencilled in to make it official. The South East on the other hand seems to be carefully avoided.
    The northwest is always missing out as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Why isn't Newstalk available from Clermont Carn the way Today FM is? It's almost impossible to pick up a decent Newstalk FM signal in NE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I pick up 4 fm loud and clear from overspill even though I'm living just outside the franchise area which is Limerick City. I do feel sorry for areas such as the Southeast and Southwest of the country as the choice of raido to listen to is very limited. Co. Kerry is a typical example as I've been down there recently and apart from Radio Kerry, Spin Southwest and the national stations the number of stations are limited.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    Their most powerful transmitter by far is the one on Maghera at 50kW. Covers Galway, Clare, Limerick and some of north Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The other option is radio app and sync with the Bluetooth in the car. The good apps have 128 kbps stereo sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Karsini wrote: »
    Their most powerful transmitter by far is the one on Maghera at 50kW. Covers Galway, Clare, Limerick and some of north Kerry.
    That's where I get my reception from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DublinCDT

lgs 4 wrote: »
    The other option is radio app and sync with the Bluetooth in the car. The good apps have 128 kbps stereo sound.

Car only has call audio bluetooth .... sob sob :(

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

DublinCDT wrote: »
    Car only has call audio bluetooth .... sob sob :(

This will help: T11 Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter

https://youtu.be/0tEMkXp_3xs

One of the best on market, I have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Why isn't Newstalk available from Clermont Carn the way Today FM is? It's almost impossible to pick up a decent Newstalk FM signal in NE.

NT is on 107.9 from there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clermont_Carn#Analogue_FM_radio

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The original thinking behind the licence was that there wasn't any radio stations catering for the 50s market in Dublin, Cork, Limerick & Galway.
    Nova isn't the only station playing a lot of 80's music.

In theory DAB would have allowed lots of stations, mainly because
    A - it has been allocated a lot more spectrum than FM and
    B - many channels use lower quality bitrates

But the takeup by commercial stations is meh.

or if you have the internets
    http://www.classichits.ie/listen-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Karsini wrote: »

And I presume that the power restriction is part of the licence conditions.

Today FM & RTE are whacking out 160KW from the same site whilst Spin & Newtalk do 20KW. Clare FM TX is 5kw.

I think Branigans plan was to get Nova on the same basis as 4. He was using Trial licences for a multicity rock station under The Rock branding he's used originally to convince the BAI the market was there for the Dublin version. Likewise for the multicity.

When the BAI asked for expressions of interest back in June Branigan was proposing a rock station (Nova) that served Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway and Kilkenny, as well as the Midlands and the North East of Ireland

STB. wrote: »
    And I presume that the power restriction is part of the licence conditions.

Today FM & RTE are whacking out 160KW from the same site whilst Spin & Newtalk do 20KW. Clare FM TX is 5kw.

I think Branigans plan was to get Nova on the same basis as 4. He was using Trial licences for a multicity rock station under The Rock branding he's used originally to convince the BAI the market was there for the Dublin version. Likewise for the multicity.

When the BAI asked for expressions of interest back in June Branigan was proposing a rock station (Nova) that served Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway and Kilkenny, as well as the Midlands and the North East of Ireland
    That covers most of the country, why wouldn't he go the whole hog and broadcast to the rest of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    That covers most of the country, why wouldn't he go the whole hog and broadcast to the rest of it?

Realities of cost vs return Zorro.

RTE have to do it, a commercial station does not have those PSB requirements. It is afterall a commercial venture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement