Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3c: unlocking phone with broken display

Options
  • 25-06-2017 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I had started this thread yesterday but it doesn't show up.
    To cut a long story short, I smashed the display of my phone, a Sony Xperia Z3c, and now it's insensitive to the touch. I can't unlock the phone through swipe and pattern and I can't access the content of the phone to have a backup unless it's unlocked.
    Is there a shortcut or a way to work this problem around? I have very important things inside the phone that I can't afford to lose.
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you can use screen vysor app ,it mirrors the android phone screen on your pc monitor,
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mirror-android-screen-pc-mac-without-root/
    this sends the screen display from the phone to the pc monitor ,
    after you install the vysor chrome app .
    its best to do this on a windows pc.
    then you can control the android phone,menu, apps,settings etc,
    acess data on the phone by clicking the pc mouse and looking at the pc monitor.
    see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYL6lVBjqYg

this is not a phone rooting app.
    It just sends the screen to a pc monitor and allows you to use the pc mouse
    to control the phone menu,s .

there maybe be other phone casting apps
    google phone to screen app.

i think theres a full 32bit windows vysor program you can download
    if you find the chrome app to be not easy to use.

https://www.vysor.io/

theres a vysor app in the chrome web app store.

i had to download a windows sony driver to get it to work on my
    sony z3 phone when i plugged my phone into my windows 7 pc.

you may be able to just plug in the phone to your windows,pc or laptop,
    And just browse to sony device z3 , folders,
    if your pc loads up the sony phone driver.

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiaz3compact/kb/0231018805656b91c0145c620eeaf004cb9/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pBQLVmab1M

many phone chargers have a usb 1 to usb micro cable which can be detached and used on a windows or mac pc to
    attach to the phone and copy the data from the phone to a folder on the pc.
    http://www.sync-droid.com/syncdroid-getstarted.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you happened to have a USB to Micro USB adapter, you can use a mouse to use your phone. Had to do that when my screen smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Grayditch wrote: »
    If you happened to have a USB to Micro USB adapter, you can use a mouse to use your phone. Had to do that when my screen smashed.

Ignore Riclads nonsense and do this.

You can browse folders on an android phone by plugging in a usb cable from the phone to the pc .
    You may need to download a sony z3 usb windows driver to get acess to the phones internal data and folders,
    and not just the data on the sdcard .
    Dealz shops sell micro sdcard readers for 1euro 50cent.
    dealz sell usb to micro usb cables for the same price.
    IF you want to control the phones menus,and settings from a pc or mac computer, you,ll need to use an app like vysor.

https://www.fonepaw.com/recovery/android-backup-with-broken-screen.html

i don,t know if this program will work on a sony z3 phone.

I plugged in my sony z3 phone to a pc,
    using a usb - usb micro cable.
    it says installing device driver.
    After 2 minutes it says device drive installed,
    in lower right part of the screen .

I go to my computer it says sony media player.
    i click open.
    it shows nothing.

my pc is windows 7.
    With connection to the internet.
    i unplug the phone i go to settings,
    usb, i select Usb MTP Mode in the phone menu.

I plugged the phone in using the usb cable
    after a minute i go to ,pc, my computer,
    sony experia.

It shows 2 folders .
    folder -internal data.
    folder2 - external. = ie sdcard 29gig.

I have my phone in developer mode from 3 weeks ago when i used vysor app.
    the sony phone has 3 usb modes
    charging mode only thru usb ,
    mtp usb connection,
    some other usb mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Update.
    None of the apps that I downloaded as adviced by riclad worked.
    I went for an OTG cable that I connected to the microUSB port of the phone, the other end has a female USB connector. To this I connected a wireless mouse and it worked fine.
    I was able to unlock the phone from the first step, the SIM PIN. Then I was able to browse among all apps.
    Then I connected the phone to the PC, but it said that the phone is locked and I need to select the MTP function, which I can't do because the mouse is now off.
    Either the PC or the mouse, can't have both connected at the same time.
    So the only solution that comes to my mind is to use a BT keyboard with touchpad. I just ordered it from Amazon, I will have it tomorrow morning.
    The OTG cable was needed anyway because without it I couldn't enable the BT function that I keep always disabled to save the battery.
    Tomorrow I will have the BT keyboard, so I should be able to complete the job.
    I will let you know later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭914

Update.
    None of the apps that I downloaded as adviced by riclad worked.
    I went for an OTG cable that I connected to the microUSB port of the phone, the other end has a female USB connector. To this I connected a wireless mouse and it worked fine.
    I was able to unlock the phone from the first step, the SIM PIN. Then I was able to browse among all apps.
    Then I connected the phone to the PC, but it said that the phone is locked and I need to select the MTP function, which I can't do because the mouse is now off.
    Either the PC or the mouse, can't have both connected at the same time.
    So the only solution that comes to my mind is to use a BT keyboard with touchpad. I just ordered it from Amazon, I will have it tomorrow morning.
    The OTG cable was needed anyway because without it I couldn't enable the BT function that I keep always disabled to save the battery.
    Tomorrow I will have the BT keyboard, so I should be able to complete the job.
    I will let you know later.

If you can unlock the phone with the mouse, you need to go into settings, developer options and enable USB debugging, you should then be able to use any of the mirroring apps.

In your first step there, that you can browse the apps, can you access settings and turn off the screen Lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Grayditch wrote: »
    Wow, you learn something new every day. Just tried it and it works, obviously, but feels very strange!

914 wrote: »

If you can unlock the phone with the mouse, you need to go into settings, developer options and enable USB debugging, you should then be able to use any of the mirroring apps.

In your first step there, that you can browse the apps, can you access settings and turn off the screen Lock?
    Yes, I could turn off the screen lock. Currently I have only set the stand-by mode to 30 minutes rather than the previous 30 seconds, so that I can have the time to do handle things without the risk of having the phone locked after the time-out.
    Where do I find the developer options?
    I haven't the broken phone with me right now, I have my tablet with the same OS and it seems I can't find it.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭914

Yes, I could turn off the screen lock. Currently I have only set the stand-by mode to 30 minutes rather than the previous 30 seconds, so that I can have the time to do handle things without the risk of having the phone locked after the time-out.
    Where do I find the developer options?
    I haven't the broken phone with me right now, I have my tablet with the same OS and it seems I can't find it.
    Thanks!

Go to settings > about phone > build number and tap the build number 7 times. You will see a notice saying "developer options enable or your now a developer" something like that. Go back to settings and developer options should be above about phone. (second last option in the list in settings).

Once in developer options you should see "enable debugging"

• Advertisement

OK, thanks, found it. On my tablet.
    I will look into it on my phone when I'm home later today.
    This could be useful. Anyway the BT keyboard has been purchased and payed for, it's on the way and I will have it tomorrow early in the morning.

Update.
    I was able to unlock the phone with my wireless mouse and an OTG cable that I bought on purpose.
    But when I connected the phone to the PC the phone wasn't set to file transfer and this setting was only possible via touch or mouse.
    So on Friday I purchased a BT heyboard with track pad on Amazon and I received it on Saturday morning. It worked great, I was able to control the phone flawlessly and to backup everything.
    Now the next step is to buy a new phone to move all the stuff in it. I am still thinking about a good and reliable phone.
    Thanks everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Good to know how to get around this.

Advertisement