Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which OS for slightly dated pc?

Options
  • 25-06-2017 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm probably going to reinstall my windows over the next few weeks (been a long time since I've done this) as it's getting a bit bogged down and needs a good clean up!

Pc spec isn't the greatest by todays standards:
    AMD Athlon X3 440 3ghz
    8GB Ram (I might look into adding another 8GB)
    GeFroce 8800 GTS
    Samsun SSD 850 Evo 250GB

Main use is for Lightroom and some Photoshop, plex server and general browsing. I use Revit on it occasionally and quite slow compared to my work pc - large models and older spec than work pc

Currently running Win 7 which seems fine but it's a little old at this point? Would I feel/see any benefits upgrading to Win 8/8.1 or Win 10? Will either free up a little ram and run smoother over Win 7?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doubt it would make an appreciable differences and getting proper drivers for the mobo/GPU could be a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Now that you mention drivers, I don't think my Creative xfi pro card is compatible with win 8-10 either.

Would I be better of sticking in an additional 8gb and have 16gb total?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

jozi wrote: »
    Currently running Win 7 which seems fine but it's a little old at this point? Would I feel/see any benefits upgrading to Win 8/8.1 or Win 10? Will either free up a little ram and run smoother over Win 7?

You wouldn't see many benefits. Windows 7 is the XP of its time. Reliable.

If you're up for trying some non-windows alternatives to those apps, I suggest a linux distro which seem to be drastically less demanding of resources, even drive space.
    Revit
    Lightroom
    Photoshop

Otherwise i'd reccomend just stick with W7. Give it a clean installation if you wish and always remember to turn off as many non-essential startup applications & services with msconfig. If your windows came with a lot of bloatware it's worth uninstalling all of it, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If I was you I'd do a clean install on Windows 7 and be happy with that.

I can't think of anything in 8/10 I need over 7. Tbh I think 7 is a lot less cluttered.
    Windows 8~10 are a mess with options scattered all over the place.

I wouldn't bother with Linux, and I would upgrade the hardware in this machine. Start saving for a new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You wouldn't see many benefits. Windows 7 is the XP of its time. Reliable.

If you're up for trying some non-windows alternatives to those apps, I suggest a linux distro which seem to be drastically less demanding of resources, even drive space.
    Revit
    Lightroom
    Photoshop

Otherwise i'd reccomend just stick with W7. Give it a clean installation if you wish and always remember to turn off as many non-essential startup applications & services with msconfig. If your windows came with a lot of bloatware it's worth uninstalling all of it, too.

Error 502 from those links ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Looking at those specs, a clean win7 install should run absolutely fine.

i have run win 8 & 10 on work pc's that were due a refresh and never have i felt that they worked better than a win7 refresh. However i havebseen a linux distro like linux mint give life to an otherwise destined for the scrap heap pc or laptop.

Revit and Photoshop etc are notoriously heavy apps, that do demand a bit from your workstation, and your expectations may need to be set realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Error 502 from those links ;)

All work for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

beauf wrote: »
    All work for me...

Just tried one again and it works now.

Thanks.

Advertisement