Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controller for PC

Options
  • 24-06-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I wanted to pick up a present for my dad and he recently got himself a very good laptop. He doesn't play a huge amount of games but he's recently started playing skyrim and he's quite enjoying it :) However, he'd like to be able to have his laptop plugged into his main tv and be able to play on the sofa.

I'd like to get some recommendations on a good controller that is ideally wireless as the distance to the sofa from the tv stand (where the laptop is plugged in) is about 3 meters.

would appreciate any insight into something that will work with minimal tweaking also :)

Cheers!
    Red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Xbone is possibly the best bet (mine didnt work but others here had no issues).

Needs a USB adapter and it works wirelessly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

There's also the Razer Turret, haven't used one myself but if he prefers keyboard and mouse to the controller it might be a solution (albeit a pricey one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I use the Xbox One S controller. I love the Dualshock 4 too but the Xbox one just pips it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RedXIV wrote: »
    he's recently started playing skyrim and he's quite enjoying it :)

Skyrim is much more enjoyable with a M+KB, IMO.

Its other games like Mirrors Edge/Racing where the controller becomes useful.

I use an Xbox One controller, but really an old Xbox 360 controller works just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

xbox one controller for pc kit as it comes with the needed receiver.
    for example.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Controller-Wireless-Adapter-Windows/dp/B01691M0QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498415173&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+one+controller+for+pc

Just make sure you get the windows receiver as they can often be sold seperatly, The batteries are just standard AA's and last quite a long time but you can easily buy an aftermarket battery and charger kit later.

Ps, you might need to run windows update to get the drivers once it's plugged in, but it usually works out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Xbox One controller hands down if buying new, though the older 360 controller and receiver 2nd hand would be half the price and would work just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cheers guys! Appreciate the help!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there much messing around involved getting an Xbox One controller working via the steamlink? Anyone have experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ThrowBag

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there much messing around involved getting an Xbox One controller working via the steamlink? Anyone have experience of it?

I would of thought it was plug in and play but i did read that the ps4 controller connects with it a little better.

I use a wired 360 controller. its fine its only for gtaV when Im driving in it. or mad max.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

For a game like skyrim I''d definitely want the steam controller over the xbox one.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ThrowBag wrote: »
    I would of thought it was plug in and play but i did read that the ps4 controller connects with it a little better.

I use a wired 360 controller. its fine its only for gtaV when Im driving in it. or mad max.

It's plug and play wired alright, but there's a bit of messing involved to get it working wirelessly apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ThrowBag

It's plug and play wired alright, but there's a bit of messing involved to get it working wirelessly apparently.

So I believe but plus in and play games on the couch who wouldnt love that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

ThrowBag wrote: »
    So I believe but plus in and play games on the couch who wouldnt love that :D
    I use two wired Xbox 360 controllers (for Windows) when on the couch using the Steam Link (or upstairs connected to the gaming PC) - absolutely flawless performance as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not really, I got one with the rift. Plug it in, press the buttons to link them, job done.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Not really, I got one with the rift. Plug it in, press the buttons to link them, job done.

It works wirelessly without the wireless adapter? I find that hard to believe unless it's one of the newer Bluetooth ones? And it works with the steam link without needing third party software?

It works wirelessly without the wireless adapter? I find that hard to believe unless it's one of the newer Bluetooth ones? And it works with the steam link without needing third party software?
    It came with an adapter when it was packaged with the rift. There's usually a PC version that comes with extras like that. Don't know about steam link. It's just a bluetooth link isn't it?

It came with an adapter when it was packaged with the rift. There's usually a PC version that comes with extras like that. Don't know about steam link. It's just a bluetooth link isn't it?

It's not Bluetooth unless it's an Xbox One 's controller unfortunately, which is why there's fiddling required when it comes to the steam link.

It's not Bluetooth unless it's an Xbox One 's controller unfortunately, which is why there's fiddling required when it comes to the steam link.
    I just know I haven't had any problems, it behaves just like the wired xbox controller I had before. I'm assuming that dongle is available to buy outside of the rift kit?

I just know I haven't had any problems, it behaves just like the wired xbox controller I had before. I'm assuming that dongle is available to buy outside of the rift kit?

it is. I never asked how to get it working directly with a PC though as that's pretty straight forward, I was asking specifically about using it with the steam link which seems to require buying third party software.

• Advertisement
Advertisement