Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTEs "best of" pathetic summer scheduling

Options
  • 24-06-2017 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I think it's pathetic that RTE are broadcasting a "best of" late late show and a "best of" the today show in those programs regular slot during the summer. At least tv3 can keep their daytime chat shows going all year round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I guess as long as viewers keep watching it, then they'll probably keep on showing them. Same for Reeling In The Years, Room To Improve, Mrs Browns Boys and others which are on a constant repeat. It's lazy alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dirty old anorak

Whatever happened to having a summer gameshow to replace winning streak ? Now they just show a pat short rerun at 8.30 on Saturday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Whatever happened to having a summer gameshow to replace winning streak ? Now they just show a pat short rerun at 8.30 on Saturday nights

I think the Nicky Byrne shambles that was on 2 years ago has led RTE to believe that nothing could match the suspense, intensity and smash hit show Winning Streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think the Nicky Byrne shambles that was on 2 years ago has led RTE to believe that nothing could match the suspense, intensity and smash hit show Winning Streak.

That shambles was meant to replace Winning Streak in the Autumn, Spring and Winter, with Winning Streak being on during the summer.

However, of course, Winning Streak was reinstated once RTÉ got sense, but it isn't broadcast on bank holiday weekends.

There used to be a summer Lotto gameshow, i.e. Fame and Fortune, The Trump Card, The Big Money Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah remember now it's great value for money, your T.V licence according to Dee Forbes looking for her increase. While in reality there is nothing on rte for the summer.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Ah remember now it's great value for money, your T.V licence according to Dee Forbes looking for her increase. While in reality there is nothing on rte for the summer.

Unless, of course, there are viewers in the Republic who welcome another chance to see the adaptation of the Len Deighton novel "SS-GB", which is being broadcast on RTÉ 1, starting next Tuesday night at 11:20 (Even some of those who saw it on BBC 1 via terrestrial overspill, cable or satellite may like to watch at least some of it again because of "mumbling" in the dialogue in the first episode).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Unless, of course, there are viewers in the Republic who welcome another chance to see the adaptation of the Len Deighton novel "SS-GB", which is being broadcast on RTÉ 1, starting next Tuesday night at 11:20 (Even some of those who saw it on BBC 1 via terrestrial overspill, cable or satellite may like to watch at least some of it again because of "mumbling" in the dialogue in the first episode).

TBH the type of programme that should air earlier in the night, but RTE are afraid to muddy RTÉ ONE with BBC repeats and consider a repeat of an irish show better than a first showing for them of US or English programming.

Elmo wrote: »
    TBH the type of programme that should air earlier in the night, but RTE are afraid to muddy RTÉ ONE with BBC repeats and consider a repeat of an irish show better than a first showing for them of US or English programming.

RTÉ broadcast EastEnders in a peak-time slot on RTÉ 1. Furthermore, it also broadcast The Fall and Quirke (it was an associate producer alongside the BBC in both) in peak-time.

US and UK imports that are broadcast in peak-time usually appear on RTÉ 2 - that was the channel's original purpose.

Hour-long BBC dramas probably wouldn't get high ratings in peak-time on RTÉ 1 and wouldn't fit in peak-time because of the necessity of having commercial breaks and then the Nine O'Clock News would probably be on at 9:10.

RTÉ broadcast EastEnders in a peak-time slot on RTÉ 1. Furthermore, it also broadcast The Fall and Quirke (it was an associate producer alongside the BBC in both) in peak-time.

Even I see a massive difference between RTÉ airing an English based/produced drama over a co-production or even a non-RTÉ funded drama based in Ireland.

EastEnders I would argue is due to competition from Coro St and Emmerdale. (Though I think it could be moved to RTE2 at this stage)
    US and UK imports that are broadcast in peak-time usually appear on RTÉ 2 - that was the channel's original purpose.

Times change even by 1988 RTÉ started to move away from simucasts of English programming on RTÉ2 as it rebrand to Network2, due to more people taking up Cable. At that stage RTÉ 2 really became the Sports/Children's and Youth programming channel. With it becoming the Olympic Channel in 1992 and Coro St moving to RTÉ1.
    Hour-long BBC dramas probably wouldn't get high ratings in peak-time on RTÉ 1 and wouldn't fit in peak-time because of the necessity of having commercial breaks and then the Nine O'Clock News would probably be on at 9:10.

BBC dramas could air after 9:30 on RTÉ, they have preformed well in the past, and are surely better than The Best of The Late Late Show.

45% of all programming in Peak on RTÉ2 is a repeat, 20% on RTÉ One.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

appledrop wrote: »

You can't be expecting public servants to work through the summer like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Even the Nationwide episodes are repeats from earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

In some instances its repeats of repeats territory within months/1 year of initial broadcast. Case in point was Nationwide today but Id imagine most of its core audience probably wouldn't even notice anyway.

In some instances its repeats of repeats territory within months/1 year of initial broadcast. Case in point was Nationwide today but Id imagine most of its core audience probably wouldn't even notice anyway.

They notice RTÉ have just stopped listening.

Times change even by 1988 RT started to move away from simucasts of English programming on RT as it rebrand to Network2, due to more people taking up Cable. At that stage RT really became the Sports/Children's and Youth programming channel. With it becoming the Olympic Channel in 1992 and Coro St moving to RTOne.

BBC dramas could air after 9:30 on RT they have preformed well in the past, and are surely better than The Best of The Late Late Show.

45% of all programming in Peak on RTis a repeat, 20% on RTne.

Presumably, RTdoesn't believe that a BBC drama would do well in peak-time anymore due to wide availability of BBC channels via Sky (free-to-air in the Republic as well as the UK), Freesat and internet protocol television (e.g. eir) as well as terrestrial overspill - though Happy Valley and Doctor Foster (neither of which I watched) were broadcast at 10:15 (peak-time is 6:00 to 10:30). Furthermore, The Night Manager (which I did watch) was broadcast at the not-too-late time of 10:40 (I watched it on RTOne because I missed it when it was on BBC One)

Furthermore, ITV network drama Unforgotten was broadcast at 10:15 on RTOne and then at 9:30 on RT.

I'm aware of the change of branding to "Network 2" and the availability of cable TV starting in areas of the Republic where there is no terrestrial overspill. I mentioned the broadcast of some UK programmes on peak-time on RT in the context of it being a nod to RT's original purpose.

PS: There's a technical issue on boards.ie that is preventing me from putting the fada on the E in the name of our national broadcaster!

I recommend Happ Valley if you haven't seen it.

While 22:15 is at the very end of peak. I am sure RTÉ do think that these dramas won't perform in peak you have to remember that nothing in peak is preforming all that well on either channel and RTÉ couldn't possibly know how well the would to airing at 9:30 as they have never done so.

Many people did get the chance to see many BBC distributed ITV dramas due to the dropping of UTV by Virgin

I recommend Happ Valley if you haven't seen it.

While 22:15 is at the very end of peak. I am sure RTdo think that these dramas won't perform in peak you have to remember that nothing in peak is preforming all that well on either channel and RTcouldn't possibly know how well the would to airing at 9:30 as they have never done so.

Many people did get the chance to see many BBC distributed ITV dramas due to the dropping of UTV by Virgin

I'm aware that UTV Ireland didn't have the rights to non-ITV Studios productions.

It is to RTs credit that it has broadcast some ITV network dramas that were not produced by ITV Studios, e.g. The Halcyon (which I did watch and which was distributed by Sony).

PS: Arrggggh...I still can't put the E with the fada on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm aware that UTV Ireland didn't have the rights to non-ITV Studios productions.

It is to RTs credit that it has broadcast some ITV network dramas that were not produced by ITV Studios, e.g. The Halcyon (which I did watch and which was distributed by Sony).

as in RT???

Ctrl-Shift-Alt e

BTW, apologies if you've already tried this..

as in RT???

Ctrl-Shift-Alt e

BTW, apologies if you've already tried this..

NO have being having similar problems the e fada is type using AltGr +E (as with euro symbol). It appears in my text but is dropped when posted. Seem fine when using mobile site RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

RTE could catch up with Casualty and maybe show it on Sunday nights. E.R. did well for them.

It's currently being treated like dirt along with Holby City.

Would it kill them to show Holby City on RTE2 even.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    RTE could catch up with Casualty and maybe show it on Sunday nights. E.R. did well for them.

It's currently being treated like dirt along with Holby City.

Would it kill them to show Holby City on RTE2 even.

They could air either as a replacement for Today. The Bill is missed from their daytime schedule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement