Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagull Behaviour

Options
  • 24-06-2017 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I was just sitting watching a seagull and was wondering what it was doing. It had something black (a fish is my guess from the shape of it, but i was a bit of a distance away) and it flew up several metres high and dropped the object. He then picked it up and repeated this process over and over. My first thought was that whatever it was was attached to some string or a line and that it couldn't go any higher, but then i wondered if it was dropping the object in order to kill it? Anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gulls often drop molluscs and hard shelled foods to crack them open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I'd go with trying to crack open some kind of shell fish.

I've sometimes looked at the number of attempts, and wondered if the food value of the item is more than the energy spent getting at it.

Advertisement