Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 7 vs One Plus 5

Options
  • 24-06-2017 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey just wondering what phone would be best to get they both look great.

Usually use my phone for browsing, youtube, snapchat etc.. good front and back camera.

Would want it to last 3+ years. thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Apples and oranges, which ecosystem do you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭L360

Apples and oranges, which ecosystem do you prefer?

Haven't tried am iphone yet! Think I'll give it a go with the iphone thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you've never had an iPhone you might not like it. You can't compare those 2 phones on spec as it's not as simple as ones got a better camera etc it's all about the operating system with apple.
    iPhone 7 could be out of date very quickly when the 7s or 8 is released in September, I wouldn't be buying an expensive iPhone until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have iPhone for work and an android for private use, you can't really compare them. Android is miles ahead, iPhone is simplistic and easier to use (very restrictive). If you're used to android you'll not like the iPhone

Reports the oneplus 5 is giving 8-9 hours screen on time and has 1 hour quick charge. That would be my choice of the two.

Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Just got my one plus 5 this morning. Shocked how fast it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

I just bought the One Plus 5 and I love it. I would image you'll be shelling out an extra few hundred Euro for an iPhone. So, unless you had a strong reason to go with that I'd go OP5. The dash charge on OP5 is faster than anything I've ever seen, you really do go from 0-100% in an hour.

If you've never had an iPhone you might not like it. You can't compare those 2 phones on spec as it's not as simple as ones got a better camera etc it's all about the operating system with apple.
    iPhone 7 could be out of date very quickly when the 7s or 8 is released in September, I wouldn't be buying an expensive iPhone until then.

Don't apple support their devices for 3/4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

L360 wrote: »
    Don't apple support their devices for 3/4 years?

They do but the 6 was new, the 6s was a pile of shoite and the 7 is their twisted offspring. There's been no new phone since the 6. I'm expecting the 8 to be a game changer as they've got away with murder in the last 2yrs rehashing the same formula.
    I'd argue the current iPhone 5 SE is the best iPhone yet everything considerd yet it's the same body since 2012. Apple needs to step up in September and show the world it can innovate again or swap your shares for Nokia ones.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have a OP3, and have used quite a few Apple products (wife and kids iphone and tablets). I prefer android, but that's just me.

Price difference seems massive.

The higher spec OP5 is €559. That's 8gb of memory, and 128 gb of storage. Source

Iphone 7 is €1029 for the 128 gb model, and €1139 for the 256 gb model. Source

I'm reliably told that iphones hold their value well, but I could not ever imagine shelling out over a grand for a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 melodical

If anyone needs a code to get €20 off accessories when buying an OP phone, here you go!!: https://oneplus.net/invite#V46CQN6GHAJ4IR3

• Registered Users Posts: 20 melodical

My OP5 just arrived yesterday, up until now I've only ever had Samsung Smartphones the last one being the Galaxy S5.  It was a good phone, but as with all the others I've owned, the bloody thing would get red hot and you could see the battery tank in front of your eyes.
    I know I've only had the OP5 for 2 days, but already it feels quicker and the fingerprint scanner is light years ahead of the S5.  
    I've never owned an iPhone before, so can't really comment on that front, but I can't imagine the extra expense of the iPhone would yield much better performance over the OP5.
    Each to their own though, and good luck with the next purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

OP 5 is incredibly powerful. Possibly the best phone on the market

melodical wrote: »
    My OP5 just arrived yesterday, up until now I've only ever had Samsung Smartphones the last one being the Galaxy S5.  It was a good phone, but as with all the others I've owned, the bloody thing would get red hot and you could see the battery tank in front of your eyes.
    I know I've only had the OP5 for 2 days, but already it feels quicker and the fingerprint scanner is light years ahead of the S5.  
    I've never owned an iPhone before, so can't really comment on that front, but I can't imagine the extra expense of the iPhone would yield much better performance over the OP5.
    Each to their own though, and good luck with the next purchase :)

Thanks! Yes I'm trying to justify the extra €250 in an iphone :). I hope the OP5 works well for you!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

As always there are pros and cons to each.

Apple is vertically integrated and they keep tight control over their stack. This means that you get the latest iOS update the day it's released and your device will be supported for years (but might not get all the newest features as it ages).

Android on the other hand suffers from the same issues like the PC OEMs. Bloat. This often means awful apps that you can't remove easily and layers of UI crud. Samsung are particularly bad in this department. However there are exceptions such as the Nexus, Motorola and One Plus phones that use stock or near stock Android. You still have to wait a pretty long for OS updates and you'll be lucky to get many of them. And of course you can put whatever you want on there if you want.

iOS makes a lot of sense if you're a Mac user. There is a lot of integration such as Airdrop, hand off, universal clipboard etc. I can tether to my phone with a single click. You can get by pretty well with Android just be prepared to tinker a bit.

Because Apple builds everything from the processor out to the OS you get a solid device that's a good all round performer. Apple use the retina thing to limit screen resolution while you can get crazy high resolutions on some Droids (so you get to have that choice). Apple also use stupid fast storage which makes a big difference.
    This results in some really good performance scores compared to what should be much faster devices on paper.

When it comes to Apps both platforms perform well. You won't really be stuck for any particular app in either store. Apple do some nice first party apps. Their iWork and apps integrate via iCloud so you can work on any device but then again you can do this with Google Docs and even Office 365.

I find that I get pretty good battery life on iOS. In particular the standby performance is extremely good with almost no drain. I came home from work with 75% battery today. That said if you push it then it can drop as fast as anything.

And the biggest problem is price. The Apple Tax is real.

So it comes down to experience. If you love tinkering with apps and ROMs and all that fun stuff then Android is for you. If you want a solid platform that will last and mostly just works and don't really care that it's 'restricted' then get an iPhone.

5uspect wrote: »
    As always there are pros and cons to each.

Apple is vertically integrated and they keep tight control over their stack. This means that you get the latest iOS update the day it's released and your device will be supported for years (but might not get all the newest features as it ages).

Android on the other hand suffers from the same issues like the PC OEMs. Bloat. This often means awful apps that you can't remove easily and layers of UI crud. Samsung are particularly bad in this department. However there are exceptions such as the Nexus, Motorola and One Plus phones that use stock or near stock Android. You still have to wait a pretty long for OS updates and you'll be lucky to get many of them. And of course you can put whatever you want on there if you want.

iOS makes a lot of sense if you're a Mac user. There is a lot of integration such as Airdrop, hand off, universal clipboard etc. I can tether to my phone with a single click. You can get by pretty well with Android just be prepared to tinker a bit.

Because Apple builds everything from the processor out to the OS you get a solid device that's a good all round performer. Apple use the retina thing to limit screen resolution while you can get crazy high resolutions on some Droids (so you get to have that choice). Apple also use stupid fast storage which makes a big difference.
    This results in some really good performance scores compared to what should be much faster devices on paper.

When it comes to Apps both platforms perform well. You won't really be stuck for any particular app in either store. Apple do some nice first party apps. Their iWork and apps integrate via iCloud so you can work on any device but then again you can do this with Google Docs and even Office 365.

I find that I get pretty good battery life on iOS. In particular the standby performance is extremely good with almost no drain. I came home from work with 75% battery today. That said if you push it then it can drop as fast as anything.

And the biggest problem is price. The Apple Tax is real.

So it comes down to experience. If you love tinkering with apps and ROMs and all that fun stuff then Android is for you. If you want a solid platform that will last and mostly just works and don't really care that it's 'restricted' then get an iPhone.

Wow thanks for that detailed anwser! I don't own any other apple devices so I'm thinking of maybe sticking to what I know (android). But that being said I have heard iphones last a long time without performance slowing down.

Advertisement