Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Switching to automatic cars?

Options
  • 24-06-2017 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi I have had my learner permit for 4 months, taking one lesson a week (manual) and I just find it incredibly stressful! I hate changing down gears- specifically from 3rd down to second. i hate the panic when I'm next to a roundabout and have to change down, I frequently go into 4th accidentally and often my driving instructor has to help me with this issue.

I feel like by now I should be comfortable doing it and I feel like it's slowing down my progress in other areas of driving because I am so focused on clutch control/gears that it is taking my focus away from observation etc I know 100% I won't be ready for my test in august because of this.

We have just bought our first car (myself & Partner) and it is manual, I haven't driven it yet (Only ever been in car once a week with instructor)

We have 2 small kids & my eldest is starting primary school in September so I want to be able to drive confidently by then so I can bring her to school.

Should I just throw in the towel and get an automatic??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

hazelZzz wrote: »
    Hi I have had my learner permit for 4 months, taking one lesson a week (manual) and I just find it incredibly stressful! I hate changing down gears- specifically from 3rd down to second. i hate the panic when I'm next to a roundabout and have to change down, I frequently go into 4th accidentally and often my driving instructor has to help me with this issue.

I feel like by now I should be comfortable doing it and I feel like it's slowing down my progress in other areas of driving because I am so focused on clutch control/gears that it is taking my focus away from observation etc I know 100% I won't be ready for my test in august because of this.

We have just bought our first car (myself & Partner) and it is manual, I haven't driven it yet (Only ever been in car once a week with instructor)

We have 2 small kids & my eldest is starting primary school in September so I want to be able to drive confidently by then so I can bring her to school.

Hi,

My advice, change instructor.

A learner can only concentrate properly on one thing at a time. A good instructor would have taken you to a nice quiet road and taught you gear changing. Both up and down gear changes.

When you are happy with your gear changing, then and only then should you have been brought you to a junction. To give you confidence, perhaps full talk through the first time or two, then just the odd prompt, then unaided.

If you are going into 4th instead of 2nd he has not taught you how to hold the gear knob properly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I feel like by now I should be comfortable doing it

If you are only spending an hour a week behind the wheel it's not surprising that you aren't comfortable yet. If you can you really need to be driving more often. It took me months to get truly comfortable with gear changes and it only happened when I was driving regularly. And I made a huge leap forward once I started driving for a purpose, ie going for a practice drive was helpful but being the one to drive us to the cinema or on an outing made a huge psychological difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hazelZzz

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

My advice, change instructor.

I actually really like my instructor, he is very calm and patient and also turns every mistake I make into a positive situation. I don't think it is him so much as me ;P

iguana wrote: »
    If you are only spending an hour a week behind the wheel it's not surprising that you aren't comfortable yet. If you can you really need to be driving more often. It took me months to get truly comfortable with gear changes and it only happened when I was driving regularly. And I made a huge leap forward once I started driving for a purpose, ie going for a practice drive was helpful but being the one to drive us to the cinema or on an outing made a huge psychological difference.

I hope this is the case! I have organized to have my mum sit in with me tomorrow and I will try taking the car out for the first time, hopefully the bit of practice in between lessons will help.

I guess if I still can't get the hang of it an automatic is always an option..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

So many cars are available in automatic.

Wife had similar issue and went automatic and almost 20 years later has never had an occasion to have to drive a manual.

Some people will almost look down at people who go auto, but at the end of the day it takes the stress out of driving especially if you add a couple of kids to the mix.

I'd go auto and if later the need arises, go manual, but I doubt it will.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    So many cars are available in automatic.

Wife had similar issue and went automatic and almost 20 years later has never had an occasion to have to drive a manual.

Some people will almost look down at people who go auto, but at the end of the day it takes the stress out of driving especially if you add a couple of kids to the mix.

Thank you! Yes there does seem to be some kind of stigma about driving automatic, I just want something to get me from a to b.

I'll see how I get on over the next 2 months anyway but if I can't get the hang of it I think I will go auto, it seems like the better option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

One thing that helped me teach a relative to drive years ago was to get her to sit in a stationary car and pretend she was driving a route well known to her.

She would then go through the motions of changing the gears on this imaginary route. Anticipating when she would change down in particular coming up to junctions.

More than anything I think what helped was the constant association of hand and foot coordination.

Maybe try doing one lesson in an automatic and see the difference for yourself.

You also find that people who start driving an automatic after driving a manual for years, never go back to manual.

Auto is far more comfortable to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CeilingFly wrote: »
    You also find that people who start driving an automatic after driving a manual for years, never go back to manual.

Auto is far more comfortable to drive.
    After mainly driving a manual in Ireland, drove an auto uHaul truck in Toronto when moving. It's bliss, especially on hill starts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

CeilingFly wrote:

It really is better to go the other way round, tbh. OP would need to resit the test and get a whole new licence if they learn & pass in an automatic.

OP, autos are great, I have one myself and can't really see myself ever going back to a manual transmission but I do think that everyone should be able to drive one regardless. It's like being able to swim, it's a life skill that you'll never know when you might need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Thank you! Yes there does seem to be some kind of stigma about driving automatic, I just want something to get me from a to b.

I'll see how I get on over the next 2 months anyway but if I can't get the hang of it I think I will go auto, it seems like the better option for me.

If you got the hang of the gears with such a small amount of time I'd be amazed, it took me weeks and months before I had it down. You need to be practicing outside of lessons. I took my niece out several times (shes' done 4 lessons now) just to get her used to changing gears, only went as high as 3rd, then changing back down to 2nd.

I pestered her to sit in the car and just practice changing the gears when she was doing nothing. I did the same before I could drive, it helps a lot.

Everyone has trouble with it, but you will get it :) Just don't let it get you down.

This was all done in a private car park area.

p.s: The one thing I noticed she done a lot when changing from 3rd down to 2nd was not slowing down enough, making the car jump. Slow it right down then change.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

I could have wrote your first post a few years ago OP.

I had a manual car for a year and I just couldn't get the hang of the gearbox at all. I would turn into a complete stress head approaching roundabouts/ traffic lights. I would take longer routes to avoid busy junctions/roundabouts etc. and only drive when the road was quieter.

After sticking with it for over a year, I just decided to buy an automatic corsa and I honestly kicked myself for not switching sooner.

Don't worry about the stigma attached with driving an automatic. Better to be driving an automatic than not being about to drive at all

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It really is better to go the other way round, tbh. OP would need to resit the test and get a whole new licence if they learn & pass in an automatic.

OP, autos are great, I have one myself and can't really see myself ever going back to a manual transmission but I do think that everyone should be able to drive one regardless. It's like being able to swim, it's a life skill that you'll never know when you might need.

I never see the logic of it. Years ago yes when autos were few and far between and more expensive and troublesome, but these days almost every model has auto option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

When I was learning I would sit in a stationary car and change up and down the gears, time and again, with my eyes closed until it became second nature. Which you'll be glad to hear wasn't that long. Just move the stick with the palm of your hand.

As for an auto, they make sense if all your driving is urban. I wouldn't be too bothered what others thought of me driving an automatic.

Yes, there is a stigma about automatics and its totally wrong!

I think it might come from the time that automatics were prone to giving expensive mechanical trouble, but that day is long past. Also the fact that long ago the only automatics that the average Joe in Ireland saw were invalid cars might also also have impacted.

It used to be that if you passed your driving test in Ireland in an automatic, you were given a driving licence that only allowed you to drive automatic cars. Not sure if still applies but if so, it might be wise for them to change this rule.

In the US, if you do a test, its accepted that you will do it in an automatic and your licence will allow you to drive manuals as well. I have driven both and find that my driving is better in an automatic; it's more relaxed and less downchanging of gears etc.

Looking at the secondhand market, while few basic cars here are auto, quite a high proprtion of top models seem to have been bought in automatic configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Personally as someone who drives an automatic... They're lovely. However I wouldn't be keen on doing my test in one. You'll never be legally able to drive a manual unless you repeat your test. And who wants that hassle. If your car's in an accident or you need a replacement or to hire a car you may have more options in manual. I'd continue with the manual and you can always swap to automatic at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

I actually really like my instructor, he is very calm and patient and also turns every mistake I make into a positive situation. I don't think it is him so much as me ;P

Hi

uc?export=download&id=0BxptATNNxj1jRHlaVXlTd0NaVDg

Above taken from an advanced driving magazine. And in the case of a learner driver it is multiplied ten fold.

What you should do, drive along a quiet road, select a prominent point ahead, a signpost, gateway, whatever, tell yourself that is the entrance to a roundabout and as its clear of traffic, you will be able to drive through, so brake, change to the appropriate gear to safely negotiate. Have everything nicely done a car length or two just before the point.

No pressure, you can concentrate solely on gear changing. Then vary the scenario, you are going to have to stop, it is a 2nd gear, a 3rd gear junction, approach different speeds etc etc.

As someone suggested you can also practice the actual gear changing whilst parked. (In your own car). Look down at the gear lever, make sure you are doing it correctly, then practice without looking. And very important, Hand position, palm facing away for 1st and 2nd, palm towards for 5th and 6th. Up and down for 3rd and 4th.

When you are a happy gear changer you can now approach a junction and your feet and hands will be working mainly under your sub-conscious control and you can concentrate on observation/ traffic.

When I was an instructor my number one priority was to turn my pupil into a safe competent driver as quickly as possible. If they kept repeating a mistake I reckon it would be my fault, not the pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

absolutely under no circumstances give up and do the automatic test...get more lessons and buy an automatic after you pass the manual test.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I hope this is the case! I have organized to have my mum sit in with me tomorrow and I will try taking the car out for the first time, hopefully the bit of practice in between lessons will help.

It's almost certainly a lack of practice that is holding you back. I started driving last year, I'm in my late 30s so older than the average learner. My little boy is about the same age as your oldest, so I know that when you are a parent of small children your head is so, so full of parenting stuff (including giving constant mini-lessons on how dangerous cars are) that it's just really, really hard to learn a new skill. And the odds are that even on the best days, you are always a little bit tired and rarely get enough quality sleep. So it takes longer for your brain to adapt to putting all of the pieces together.

But really the only way to put it all together is to keep practicing. Driving for an hour and then not driving again for 167 hours isn't going to let you get to a point where it feels natural. You really, really have to drive every day or at least every second day. When I was 4 months into lessons I could change gears smoothly but by that point I was driving around 200km a week. And even at that I had to give each gear change a lot of brainspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

We have just bought an automatic car. I have been trying to learn to drive for on and off for 5 years and have gone through 3 different instructors. I can't even get out of my estate because it is a hillstart.

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about me just driving an automatic. I just want to be able to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Op you'll be grand with a bit more practice. I found the gears hard at the start, especially going down in gear. After a while it becomes muscle memory. It does take a while though! Especially seeing as you need to remember so many things at once as a learner. So keep practicing and don't bother with an automatic. Loads of people can drive a manual and you will be able to too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

leelee77 wrote: »
    We have just bought an automatic car. I have been trying to learn to drive for on and off for 5 years and have gone through 3 different instructors. I can't even get out of my estate because it is a hillstart.

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about me just driving an automatic. I just want to be able to drive.

Making the car move isn't the most difficult part of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Making the car move isn't the most difficult part of driving.

I'm well aware of that but it is the part I struggle with most. My feedbackfrom my instructor is that my road positioning and observation are excellent (when I do get the car moving). I just struggle with the gears and clutch and it is more a psychological thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭orionm_73

Have to echo the advice given already... you need to get out and drive more often. I was a late learner (early 40's) and was doing the one lesson a week. I couldn't seem to get the hang of it all. When I bought my first car and drove it almost everyday, my co-ordination and feel for the car improved in leaps and bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KeKe

As others have mentioned, OP's post could have been written by me when I first started too!

I'm in my late twenties and just started driving. I was too scared and unprepared to drive on my own as a learner so my only "real" experience was from my driving lessons. Pressure and social fear had me convinced I should just do the automatic test and do it but I stuck with manual and passed first time. I live in an area with many, many roundabouts so there is constant gear changing.

If your mother/partner can spare the time (or one look after the kids), maybe you could go to a large car park during quiet hours and just practice speeding up, changing gears, slowing down, changing back down and stopping. This can also help with reversing, positioning and all. Once I got comfortable with gear changing, it almost becomes second nature. My attention/focus was more on observation.

With the car stopped, you can practice your gear stick changing and your hand movements. I actually used to sit in the car in the driveway practicing the gear changes. :p

And from what I remember, passing an automatic test only gives you privilege to drive an automatic car. Your certificate of competency is marked and a 78 notation will appear on your licence signifying the restricted access. Similar to how if you are using a modified car (steering etc). Again, maybe not a problem if you're okay with it, but I think it would cause some problems if trying to drive in other countries.

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

Advertisement