Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a property in Glenshane, Tallaght - can I expect any trouble?

Options
  • 24-06-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey all,

Just moved back from the UK after many years away, and got a job in Dublin city.
    An opportunity has come up to buy a house in Glenshane, Tallaght.
    It is very reasonably priced but my only concern would be whether or not I should expect any trouble?
    Is this an area where, if you keep yourself to yourself, you should be fine or do I run the risk of break-ins/abusive behaviour etc?

Would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure how it is there days but I know that 10 years ago it would have been considered a very 'lively' area. Just from a basic google search it seems that joyriding is still a big problem - http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/tallaght-residents-call-on-council-to-ramp-up-more-joyriding-deterrents and it's not somewhere I'd look to live personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's well priced for a reason.

Unless you're from that area or used to that environment and accept I'd look elsewhere.

That green is plagued with kids on scramblers and joy riders in general. Also drug dealing in broad daylight.

I'd rather 30min extra on my commute and live elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Avoid at all costs ,
    It's a kip of an area unfortunately ,one of the few places in tallaght I'd never choose to rent or buy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I wouldn't buy there unless you're from there.

If you can budget a little more there's a number of other estates in Tallaght that would probably suit better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter. Thanks

How reasonably priced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Lots of horse abuse there too.Stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

pilly wrote: »
    How reasonably priced?

I looked it up, there is one for 175k and one for 199k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

LirW wrote: »
    I looked it up, there is one for 175k and one for 199k.

Hmm, pretty good value I suppose for a starter home.

I don't know OP, I grew up in Tallaght, albeit not in Glenshane and I never had an ounce of trouble, no break-ins, car was never robbed. In saying that I lived at the front of one of the oldest estates there.

It's been a few years since I was around there but it does have a bad name. Maybe drive around a couple of times at night, once during the week and once on a Saturday night, see what's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

pilly wrote: »

It's been a few years since I was around there but it does have a bad name. Maybe drive around a couple of times at night, once during the week and once on a Saturday night, see what's happening?

This 100%. Get a feel for the area. Go into the local shop / takeaway / cafe and see if you feel like it's a place you could live. Visit at different times. Is traffic bad in rush hour? Are buses full /check timetables for frequency? Etc etc

It's the biggest purchase people make yet some people don't do the full research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

Just dont do it, I live only about a 10 min walk away and work with some people from there,joyriding,scrambling and drug deals in the daylight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GraceCareer

Thanks so much for getting back.

Thanks to all for the replies, really informative and great.
    The house is around 200k (I know the owner and they've not put it on the market yet)

Sounds like a bit of a chance. I will definitely head over there a couple of nights this week for a look around.

Advertisement