Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post breakages

Options
  • 23-06-2017 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Im sure this has been asked before here but cant see anything.

Long story short, sent a parcel with AP and they snapped it in half along the way! Standard post an the AP website says it isnt insured, but surely Paying €10 for the postage they have some responsibility???

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The an post website is correct, standard post is not insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

jonnycivic wrote: »
    The an post website is correct, standard post is not insured.

Any they have no responsibility to ensure safe arrival of package??

Seems a bit off!

I do realize I should have insured it but have sent loads of stuff with no problems - Just got pics back from receiver and it looks like someone stood on it!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ardinn wrote: »
    Any they have no responsibility to ensure safe arrival of package??

Seems a bit off!

I do realize I should have insured it but have sent loads of stuff with no problems - Just got pics back from receiver and it looks like someone stood on it!!!!

They are paid to move it from A to B, not to insure it. If there is no signature on receipt, how would you prove that An Post damaged it, and not the receiver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you want it insured then pay for insurance. You paid for delivery only. They may well say it was incorrectly packaged, if it could be snapped in half.

If you want it insured then pay for insurance. You paid for delivery only. They may well say it was incorrectly packaged, if it could be snapped in half.

I truly believe someone deliberately tried to break it along with everything else, It was a ugly stik 50lb boat fishing rod - they are virtualy unbreakable!! (virtually, obviously) it would have needed a fair belt - there is videos of people online trying to break them and failing!!

Im getting more angry the more I think of it! It had to be deliberate! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I truly believe someone deliberately tried to break it along with everything else, It was a ugly stik 50lb boat fishing rod - they are virtualy unbreakable!! (virtually, obviously) it would have needed a fair belt - there is videos of people online trying to break them and failing!!

I see your point..it would take enormous force to break a boat rod :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's an enormous leap to say that somebody in An Post deliberately broke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just remember what kinda of people end up working in these jobs. Not always the cream of the crop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ED E wrote: »
    Just remember what kinda of people end up working in these jobs. Not always the cream of the crop.

Bit of an unfair generalisation there?

It's an enormous leap to say that somebody in An Post deliberately broke it.

Not when you know what they broke - continued increasing pressure was needed to snap this! More weight than something heavy falling on it or someone standing on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭FreshCoffee

I recommend you pursue this through the An Post complaints procedure outlined here:

www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/Customer+Charter/Feedback+and+complaints/

www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/Contact+Us/Complaint+Resolution

In particular, I recommend (based on your description) that your complaint be based on "mistreatment of post" and that you avoid claiming based on any type of accidental damage as they are more likely to push back based on their T&C's. It seems like you can provide a strong argument and photos that it was mistreated. They will of course still push back but their procedure above (which they are required to have by law) includes your right to take the issue to the Customer Advocate, Comreg (probably useless) and the small claims court (costs €25) and if the value is significant it may be worth your while doing so.

I recommend you pursue this through the An Post complaints procedure outlined here:

www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/Customer+Charter/Feedback+and+complaints/

www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/Contact+Us/Complaint+Resolution

In particular, I recommend (based on your description) that your complaint be based on "mistreatment of post" and that you avoid claiming based on any type of accidental damage as they are more likely to push back based on their T&C's. It seems like you can provide a strong argument and photos that it was mistreated. They will of course still push back but their procedure above (which they are required to have by law) includes your right to take the issue to the Customer Advocate, Comreg (probably useless) and the small claims court (costs €25) and if the value is significant it may be worth your while doing so.

Thanks for that - I may follow it up this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The comreg decision and the resultant code of complaint handling is designed to put you back in the position should proper delivery have been effected. I actually worked on both sides on this specific issue. The example always given was that if you missed out on a tender because of late delivery you couldn't claim for that but even in the case of standard post you could claim for the cost of the envelope postage printing etc. If you need the details of the customer advocate pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Was it packaged properly?

We send glass with an post - over 200 packages a week. Probably one breakage a month.

We are responsible for packing properly and understanding how a package travels.

We understand that packages move about and other packages can fall over, so packing is the key. If a 20kg box of papers falls at a certain angle onto something not well packaged, it will cause damage.

The application of fragile labels helps too.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Was it packaged properly?

We send glass with an post - over 200 packages a week. Probably one breakage a month.

We are responsible for packing properly and understanding how a package travels.

We understand that packages move about and other packages can fall over, so packing is the key. If a 20kg box of papers falls at a certain angle onto something not well packaged, it will cause damage.

The application of fragile labels helps too.

Yes, it was very well packaged, fragile tape all over it too. wrapped in a cloth bag, wrapped in paper, then wrapped in shredded cardboard, then boxed in heavy duty 2 layer cardboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Yes, it was very well packaged, fragile tape all over it too. wrapped in a cloth bag, wrapped in paper, then wrapped in shredded cardboard, then boxed in heavy duty 2 layer cardboard.

Then maybe look at a "mishandling" report.

It does suggest something heavy fell on it - I've seen how parcels are handled, mostly they are in cages and safe, but oversized items can be moved manually and this means they are not protected within a cage.

It was oversized allright - 6ft in length - ill post pics in a bit!

Advertisement