Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Cheap but reliable PSU

• 23-06-2017 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭ Aodhan5000

Hi all,
    Looking for a fairly cheap (less then 50 quid if possible)but reliable PSU. It needs to be about 500 watts but it doesn't have to be modular. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 17,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Kimbot

I thought you could build and price any machine cheaper than manufacturers already? So surely you already know the answer to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭ Aodhan5000

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 17,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Kimbot

That would be grand to use, does the power supply have to be 500W? Like could it be 450? If so then have a look at this one: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/k72kcf/corsair-power-supply-cp9020049ww

Would I be better off with the 80+? Personally I think yes but corsair are a pretty reliable brand.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Would I be better off with the 80+? Personally I think yes but corsair are a pretty reliable brand.

The corsair is a grand unit, I have one running the last 4/5 years with no problems at all.

• Advertisement

Is it quiet though, I've read some reviews saying it's kinda loud.

Is it quiet though, I've read some reviews saying it's kinda loud.

The only noise out of my machine is the extraction/cooling fans. Nothing/very little at all from the power unit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ DesperateDan

If there's one thing I wouldn't cheap out on it's a PSU. Speaking from experience unreliable PSUs are often hard to pin down - sporadic, instant shutdowns with no dump files etc., 3 channels of fluctuating voltage to test, and often require tools like a multimeter and some serious fiddling to properly test. Any problems you read up on PSUs, the first thing people ask are is it a cheapo brand or not.

Definitely would make sure I bought a reputable brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭ K.O.Kiki

Is it modular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭ ED E

1rdqm4.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

• Registered Users Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭ K.O.Kiki

Is it modular?

Sorry, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,935 ✭✭✭✭ TerrorFirmer

There are cheap, junk PSUs that are to only be avoided regardless of what the use is - Arctic, CIT, Ace, etc.

Then there are cheap but functional units that are fine as long as you don't expect too much of them (eg to run them on very load very frequently) - Aerocool Integrator, EVGA white, Corsair VS, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ Alpha8

A Corsair CX450M is your best bet - 80+ Bronze, Japanese Caps and is semi-Modular.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 fleet

If there's one thing I wouldn't cheap out on it's a PSU.

This x1000

Power issues cause all manner of weirdness.

Corsair is a fine brand though.

Advertisement