Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London from Ireland

Options
  • 22-06-2017 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

I'm moving to London from Ireland in a few weeks to start a new job there, i will be working in North London in Borhamwood as a Quantity Surveyor, i am currently researching where wood be the best place to base myself to live, i would be looking for a room, as a single male in North London, somewhere that has a bit of buzz about the place, good transport links into the city, and not too expensive. i will be getting a company vehicle, so somewhere that the drive to work wont be to bad.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

dazzler101 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm moving to London from Ireland in a few weeks to start a new job there, i will be working in North London in Borhamwood as a Quantity Surveyor, i am currently researching where wood be the best place to base myself to live, i would be looking for a room, as a single male in North London, somewhere that has a bit of buzz about the place, good transport links into the city, and not too expensive. i will be getting a company vehicle, so somewhere that the drive to work wont be to bad.

Thanks.

Borhamwood is quite far out and not much around there with a "bit of a buzz".

Whats your maximum commuting time that you want and whats the maximum you want to spend per month on commuting? Also will you be driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 dazzler101

Potentially trying to avoid living in Borhamwood, even though it would lesser my commute big time, possibly looking into moving to places like Cricklewood, Kilburn or West Hamstead as they are close enough to the city to get a bus/Train in and not to far a distance to drive to work, Yes i will be driving so will save money on Public transport. Maximum commuting time for driving around 35mins. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Potentially trying to avoid living in Borhamwood, even though it would lesser my commute big time, possibly looking into moving to places like Cricklewood, Kilburn or West Hamstead as they are close enough to the city to get a bus/Train in and not to far a distance to drive to work, Yes i will be driving so will save money on Public transport. Maximum commuting time for driving around 35mins. Thanks

Kilburn/West Hampstead would be nice. Rent is reasonable there and there are some nice pubs around.

Id say you would be pushing 35 minutes max time in those areas. Your probably looking at a 30 minute drive at non rush hour which could easy go to 50 minutes at rush hour or more if there is any crashes or road works (happens a lot)

If i we're you id really workout the exact cost of owning a car vs buying a travel card every month. I did this before with my motorbike and it was more expensive to run the motorbike when taking into account (insurance, tax, fuel, servicing) and in your case you might have to pay something for parking a car.

A zone 2-6 travel card will cost you £158.30 which means you have unlimited tube travel for one month in Zones 2-6 and unlimited bus travel in all zones.

You could then only use buses to enter zone 1 or use Pay as you go. Its £231.20 for a 1-6 travel card.

Chances are if you work out the cost of your car + the normal travel you will be doing over the week on the buses and tube then it probably makes more sense to commute by train and to buy a travel card.

If you decide to take the train then West Hampstead is your best option as their is a train to Borehmwood in the morning that leaves every 10-15 minutes and the train takes less than 15 minutes.

Edit: Here is a list of all the travel card prices. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares-2017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 43 dazzler101

yeah 30-40mins drive wouldnt bother me at all. Im Getting a company vehicle that will cover, fuel, tax, insurance and service work so driving would suite me, and potentially get a bus into the city for nights out, im pretty sure it will be cheaper then tubes etc, just pay once off. looking at rent in that area could possibly get a room for about 600pm which is pretty good in a house share. hopefully it all pans out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

yeah 30-40mins drive wouldnt bother me at all. Im Getting a company vehicle that will cover, fuel, tax, insurance and service work so driving would suite me, and potentially get a bus into the city for nights out, im pretty sure it will be cheaper then tubes etc, just pay once off. looking at rent in that area could possibly get a room for about 600pm which is pretty good in a house share. hopefully it all pans out :)

How did that taking the bus into town instead of the tube thing work out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement