Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Coldwater to Tropical

Options
  • 22-06-2017 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Roma 90L tank. There are currently 3 Goldfish (2 are 1.5-2yrs old and 1 is 6 mths old),  2 algae eaters and 2 Tetra (surprised they've survived the past year)

I'd like to move to tropical tank. I have a Fluval heather and also the Fluval filter that came with the tank. 
    The goldfish are making a lot of cleaning.
    Is there anything I need to do to change the tank over. I plan to have the heather at 24C.
    I've not tested the water yet. 

Also, does anyone want some Goldfish??? (North Co Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've done this without breaking down the tank, not much to it really.

Once the goldies are gone do a large water change and service the filter as no doubt they've left a load of gunk (and nitrates) behind them.

When you introduce the heater initially set it low and gradually move it up day by day to the desired temperature. A big temp change mightn't be good.

You've probably got a good bacteria colony going so no need to slowly introduce fish imo. Personally I'd add more to the group of tetras first - 6+ (preferably 10+) tetras will shoal and will act as "dithers" to help calm any other fish you add.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I did a check of the water quality last night.
    The ammonia level is as close to 0 as I can make out, it could be 0.1
    N03-40; N04-0,Ph-7.5;KH-150;GH-160.

Would folks generally want goldfish ?

Advertisement