Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Sportage issue

Options
  • 22-06-2017 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I bought a 151 Sportage in late March from a Kia Dealer in Dublin.
    Its the 1.7 diesel and there was approx 42k kms on it.
    In the last month or so, it was shuddering intermittently when accelerating but in the past week it has got much worse.
    I have now pinpointed that the shuddering/hesitating occurs at just under 2000 rpm. At lower of higher revs, it's fine.
    A local mechanic put a code reader on it but it didn't show up anything.
    He thought it may be a fuel filter. I then rang the garage I bought it from they also said it may a fuel filter and to bring it into them next week. They also said it had gotten a new filter when it was serviced just before I bought it.
    My issues are: Does anyone have a similar experience with this happening on a sportage? I get my diesel in the same place every week and have never had issues like this before.
    Could it be another issue? somebody else mentioned an ERG valve
    I have been told a fuel filter won't be covered under the warranty even though it potentially needs replacing after less than 3 months. Is this correct? If it is, I'd just get my own mechanic to fit a new one
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum.

Fuel filter is not a warranty item, it's a consumable like oil filter/air filter etc.
    If the seller did replace this filter it is probably not the culprit, but may as well get it checked.

Read this, it is similar?
    http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-2003-2010-sportage/59975-slight-hesitation-accelerating.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What sort of driving are you doing.
    As above that wouldn't be warranty.

Warranty will usually consist of engine and gearbox and of course if any recalls for commonly found defects if found across the range.
    Could be likes of an air bag sensor or faulty injectors and so on.

If you use for short trips its not the ideal motor and will suffer from blocked dpf and egr.

These can be expensive fixes so make sure the car gets good long runs and run it over 2.5k revs for 30 mins to help regen and clearing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bear83

I thought I'd get those answers about the filter and warranty and I understand what yous are saying but the fact it's only been fitted 3 months surely is well below the life expectancy of a filter. And it seems to be a common fault with them that filters give trouble. If I got bad diesel somewhere and it clogged it up, I'd have no issue

Thanks for the link but it's 2wd so and the hesitation is becoming more than slight over the past few days.

And since I got it, I've done several long runs. It's getting lots of driving.

I'm just abit irritated and worried as I went from a super reliable 08 car to a 15 in the hopes I would have trouble free driving for the foreseeable future and 3 months in, I have this issue

Only other symptom I forgot to mention and I'm not sure if it is a symptom is that I got a burning smell the other day when I parked it but I don;t know for sure if it was it or a nearby car

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm far from being a mechanic but I'm thinking that could it be the flywheel/clutch from the sounds of what your saying around shudder and burning smell. I know Kia have had problems with these on Ceed and Sportage diesels in the past.

I don't know about that. It's not really happening at gear change. It's only if I drive in any gear and just cruise at a little under 2000 rpm, it will start to judder/shudder. At first only I would notice but it's become strong enough now that passengers will notice it too. I'll mention that to them though. Thanks for the reply

Another person I spoke to today thought maybe the turbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm far from being a mechanic but I'm thinking that could it be the flywheel/clutch from the sounds of what your saying around shudder and burning smell. I know Kia have had problems with these on Ceed and Sportage diesels in the past.

Could well be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Does the lose power, OP?

Juddering and a bad smell says EGR to me. Prob pumping the gas back in to the engine too early or mistiming it somehow. The valve is probably knackered

Doesn't lose power really. Just chugs like I'm in too high of a gear.
    I've rang the garage this morning to double check the fuel filter isn't under warranty but they said, although it isn't, they will cover the cost of replacing it as it is only in less than 3 months, which is pretty fair I have to say.
    I'm beginning to doubt it is a fuel filter though.

Would an ERG show a code?

If it's the turbo on a 2 year old car then I'd expect Kia to cover it under warranty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 roz135

might depend on the mileage

• Advertisement

The OP said the car has only 42k km.

I brought the car into the garage yesterday. As far as I'm aware they put it on a code reader and it showed no codes so they did nothing. The whole thing was pointless as my own mechanic had already put the code reader on it so I knew nothing would be shown.
    I would have thought they would have at least test drove it although it hasn't been too bad over the last few days.
    They said possibly dirty diesel and the filter may have been partially blocked but it unclogged itself now. They said if it was a serious issue, there would have been a fuel pressure code showing up.
    So I'll see how it drives over the next week and go from there.

Thanks for all the replies from everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

My kia ceed ran like crap for months, no fault code either.
    Changed the egr valve and it was sound.
    In my case there was lots of blue/grey smoke on a cold start up and took ages to start.
    Now it starts much quicker, still has a bit of smoke but noticeably improved.
    Also drives like a rocket now too :pac:
    Have your mechanic either blank off the egr or replace it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Bear83 wrote: »
    Would an ERG show a code?

To be fair it probably would in my experience.

Worth keeping in mind if the situation doesn't improve however.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alsiet2017

Bear83 wrote: »
    I thought I'd get those answers about the filter and warranty and I understand what yous are saying but the fact it's only been fitted 3 months surely is well below the life expectancy of a filter. And it seems to be a common fault with them that filters give trouble. If I got bad diesel somewhere and it clogged it up, I'd have no issue

Thanks for the link but it's 2wd so and the hesitation is becoming more than slight over the past few days.

And since I got it, I've done several long runs. It's getting lots of driving.

I'm just abit irritated and worried as I went from a super reliable 08 car to a 15 in the hopes I would have trouble free driving for the foreseeable future and 3 months in, I have this issue

Only other symptom I forgot to mention and I'm not sure if it is a symptom is that I got a burning smell the other day when I parked it but I don;t know for sure if it was it or a nearby car

Thanks for the replies
    its likely that the burning smell is your DPF going through the regen cycle. it burns off the particulates in the filter at high temp. perfectly normal if this is the case.

Advertisement