Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal Walk: Coolmine to Castleknock Train Station

Options
  • 22-06-2017 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was thinking about taking the kids on a walk along the canal.

Starting point would be Coolmine train station and ending up at Castleknock station.

Can anyone confirm if the path is manageable and/or safe for young kids?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I have not been on that stretch since last year but I would not say it is. Its a narrow trail with lots of vegetation on both sides so would need to be careful on footing and a steep drop into the canal below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

on a dry day its ok, but be wary - there are some slippy patches, steep falls to the canal and in a couple of places there is easy access to the rail line itself.

on a wet day i would totally ignore.

if it suits you, i prefer the walk from clonsilla to the crossing at porterstown/mochtas crossing (or other direction), as both are better, wider paths.

or from bradys towards ashtown. it is properly paved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Thanks for the replies. Will give it a skip so.

I as thinking of this route as we could pop over to 12th Lock for ice-cream at the end :)

Maybe when they are older and more sure footed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

quazzy wrote: »

I as thinking of this route as we could pop over to 12th Lock for ice-cream at the end :)

I've done this walk with my baby in a ergo baby thinge. Walk is fine but narrow in parts.

Other way is nicer actually. Coalmine to Clonsilla walk. Opens up to a nice paved path at the nextbridge by the football pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

quazzy wrote: »

I did it with my four year old son a few weeks ago, it is fine. The path is level all the way along, except for an occasional tree root.

Do it on a dry day and there won't be any issues, you couldn't bring a buggy down it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Thanks - I'll check it out so myself and then bring the kids along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

chris85 wrote: »
    I have not been on that stretch since last year but I would not say it is. Its a narrow trail with lots of vegetation on both sides so would need to be careful on footing and a steep drop into the canal below.

I can absolutely confirm this! I went down there on the bike yesterday evening and it is very overgrown with nettles on both sides of you leaving a very narrow gap to get through. Tree roots sticking out are tripping hazards and one wrong foot and you could end up at the bottom of the very steep bank and in the water. Avoid with kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A few years ago I cycled it with 2 kids on bikes seats on my bike (one on crossbar, the other on a rear seat). I got about 200m past Castleknock train station before having to walk it, with them still in the bike seats. I only remember one or two narrow spots.

As you are getting mixed reviews here I suggest trying it out yourself.
    Here is an alternate route on quiet roads in Laurel Lodge. I use this daily with my 6 and 9 year olds (on their own bikes now).
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7095840

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

cycling in either direction is not recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There actually signs now saying no cycling. Its really MTB with suspension only. If you were allowed which you aren't.

I've done it (before the signs went up) with one of kids cycling, and tbh I should have turned back. It wasn't suitable for either of our bikes. Walking is probably ok, for an older child. There is a big drop here to the canal.

That said Laurel Lodge is quiet enough to cycle through. Incidentally when you get to coolmine station, go backwards to the station and then under the canal bridge instead of crossing the road. I do that if I'm cycling into town via the canal.

Pity they don't make a proper green way of this section. It would be a fantastic link for loads of people if they did.

...Rant...
    It amazing how they spent all that money widening the roads, through Laurel Lodge for the bus, (a completely inept job btw) and the provision for cycling, especially for kids is hysterically bad.
    There are few joined up routes in the area for cycling kids around. Its an utter disgrace..../Rant....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I can absolutely confirm this! I went down there on the bike yesterday evening and it is very overgrown with nettles on both sides of you leaving a very narrow gap to get through. Tree roots sticking out are tripping hazards and one wrong foot and you could end up at the bottom of the very steep bank and in the water. Avoid with kids

Tools going down it on a bike despite signs telling them not to are far more of a hazard than a few nettles.

The issue with bikes is that the path is so narrow to in places its hard to pass each other even as walkers. It would be impossible to get any speed up on the it. I I see some joggers on it though.

On a bike you could hit a root and disappear over the side. Happened to one of my friends when we cycled here as kids. The reeds kept him out of the water though.

Those non cycling signs appeared in the last year or two. AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

beauf wrote: »
    Those non cycling signs appeared in the last year or two. AFAIK.

I wasn't aware of the signs, certainly not clear to me at 9 in the evening.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tools going down it on a bike despite signs telling them not to are far more of a hazard than a few nettles.

Please keep it civil and less of the insults, thanks.

Advertisement