Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display Ports

Options
  • 22-06-2017 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

What's the point? In work we have Dell PCs with HDMI slots, and Dell monitors with DP slots, and not a single DP>HDMI cable in sight. My existing monitor uses the only VGA slot on the computer so to add another monitor I bought a HDMI>DP adapter for one of my own HDMI cables, unbeknownst to me this only works when the computer has the DP and the monitor has the HDMI port.

Talk about a ****in' pain in the balls.

Morning rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All workstation graphics cards have multiple displayports and have done for years as standard, all gaming cards have them also. Dell Optiplex models (the ones found in work environments) from the last 5 or 6 years all have built in displayport also. Worst case scenario a displayport/hdmi adaptor is €2 online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I have a Vostro model, it has 1 VGA and 1 HDMI, no displayport.

I have a displayport/hdmi adapter, but the dual screen only works if the displayport end plugs into the PC, and the HDMI into the monitor. But in my case it's the other way round. Hence my rant.

DisplayPort is royalty-free while HDMI requires royalties to be paid for every unit sold with a HDMI port. That's what it comes down to in the end.

As you noticed, DisplayPort-HDMI adapters are unidirectional so you can only put them in the video card.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pelvis wrote: »
    I have a Vostro model, it has 1 VGA and 1 HDMI, no displayport.

Vostro = Cheap as chips. Nothing wrong with them, but you get what you pay for. Most firms will opt for the more competent Optiplex lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

ED E wrote: »
    Vostro = Cheap as chips. Plenty wrong with them, but you get what you pay for. Most firms will opt for the more competent Optiplex lines.

FYP ;)

Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement