Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bjj for fat guy?

Options
  • 22-06-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey folks. Have a bit of a weird question and sorry if this isn't the right place to send it but I need some straight advice. I'm very interested in learning BJJ but have concerns regarding my level of fitness and current weight. I'm rapidly approaching 30 years old, 6' tall, 24 stone (fat, not "big-boned") and have zero athletic experience. I've been interested in doing it for years but have only recently gotten off my ass to make efforts in losing weight and getting fitter. I'm wondering whether or not I should start BJJ yet. I'd love to start training but am worried that my current size and fitness levels would make me a liability to those I train with and could end up hurting someone, people not wanting to train with me, not being able to keep up in warm-ups, drills etc.

I don't mind being told straight that I'm too heavy as I am, as it would offer me another goal to aim for in my weight-loss but if that's the case, around what size should I aim for before I can safely start training without hurting someone (and pissing off a load of his jiu jitsu mates)? Sorry if this is a weird question, I just wasn't sure how to find out before showing up somewhere and embarrassing myself or anyone else who was too nice to tell me to jog on. Also if anyone had any recommendations as far as accepting gyms around the Dublin / meath / Kildare who wouldn't mind a fat slob starting to roll with them. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Cheers for reading and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Do not worry about being large this is one of the most common questions in BJJ. Constantly people say I am too unfit or large etc to do it. You are not everyone is when they start just show up and do it you will get fit by doing it and if you stick at it will likely work to get in better shape to do it better. Just show up and do what you can everyone will see you doing that and you will be respected for it. As to injuring someone you are very unlikely to I train with a powerlifter who is 20 stone of muscle and have never been injured by him or other large people. Yes, you will struggle at the beginning everyone does even really fit guys as it takes to get adjusted to it.

Also at the beginning regardless of who you are people will be less eager to train with you. Injuries are far more common from beginners as they don't know what to do si spaz out. Just show up step on the mats and have fun.

There are a ton of gyms in those areas so if you have any specific areas myself or others could offer advice for a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Get down to a class and trying it out. Your only regret will be not having of tried it sooner.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

I wouldn't spend another second worrying about being unfit or overweight and get on the mats. I think BJJ is perfect for getting fit as people can go at their own pace. I go to Satori BJJ in Blanchardstown and it is a fantastic club - excellent coaches, friendly and supportive atmosphere, great facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Let's us know how you get on if you decide to go ahead with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nonsense mate, you'll be fine and accepted anywhere. I'm currently doing the wimp 2 warrior classes there is 1 girl about 100kg and a guy about 125kg, they are constantly training and fun to roll with IMO.

You'll soon gain a pretty good level of fitness doing BJJ, doing rounds with someone is physically exhausting.

I recommend you try to attend strength and conditioning classes at whatever gym you join also. They are geared towards fights and will work on your cardio, flexibility and explosiveness.

Best of luck, go for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Google Roy Nelson and have a look at him. Heavyweight in the UFC who would probably be a Middleweight if he lost his fat, and he also happens to be a BJJ wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

If you go to a gym you will start to learn the basics.

If you don't you won't.

Get over there, the weight will come off while your learning and one thing will motivate you to work harder on the other.

Ask them about the nutritional side of things as well as the BJJ training as you will be surrounded by people who have taught themselves about all the aspects that go with being a pro athlete.

You're not doing this to get a UFC contract or be the next McGregor, its fun, enjoy it and don't feel self conscious. All that will be expected is that you make an effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There's an SBG coach who posts here, he's a purple belt now and in great shape, when he started he was a big lad, lost the weight because of taking up BJJ.

Good coach too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm a big lad and I've just agreed to start at the end of this month. I have no fear about my size because it's going in the right direction anyway since my nutrition and training are on point, the BJJ I'm sure will speed up the process

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

There's an SBG coach who posts here, he's a purple belt now and in great shape, when he started he was a big lad, lost the weight because of taking up BJJ.

Good coach too.

That would be me.

I wasn't obese, as I'm 5"11" and broad shouldered, with big legs. But when I started Jiu Jitsu, I was just north of 20 stone/120kgs. I had moobs, was carrying far too much excess weight, would break into a sweat with little to no exertion and would've been fairly introverted, if loud. I was weak of mind and that led to over eating, eating your feelings I call it, general depression, anxiety and a general feeling that I wasn't living up to my potential.

Jiu Jitsu hasn't cured all of that entirely, but it has certainly transformed my life.

I am now 90kgs, having gotten down to 83 a year or so ago, but have incorporated more S&C and Yoga into my routine which has led to greater muscle mass and endurance than ever. This is mainly down to Jiu Jitsu. My flexibility is also through the roof. My mind is much stronger and able for the ups and downs that life throws your way. I'm still an introvert, but with extrovert tendencies. I'm now louder and have greater vocal range, weirdly (talking loudly to be heard whilst coaching and singing has done this though)!

In general the knowledge I've accumulated over the past several years has percolated it's way into every area of my life. My diet is so much more varied, helped by the fact I can cook, my mood is so much better in general, stressful situations are much easier to deal with, I know the value of putting time into learning a skill and that there are no short cuts. You just have to put yourself forward.

I still sweat like a motherf*cker though! :rolleyes:

Don't let your weight stop you, ever. It's not your weight stopping you, in any case, it's your self conscious self that talks to you inside your head, impeding your progress. Learn to tell this voice to piss off, have a sense of humour about it all and just get to it.

No matter where you decide to try, enjoy the journey. I still am. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement