Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Economics 2017

Options
  • 21-06-2017 1:20pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 6


    How'd yous find it?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon


    Everyone else said it was good enough but I found it to be a bit hard :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo


    Pretty disappointing to see that Trade and national income were pretty different to previous years idk, questions were asking strangely.
    Short questions were a bit difficult but attempted all of them.
    Relied on demand and supply and yet I found part (iii) difficult. :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Monaghan_98


    Not as good as I would have hoped, short questions were quite tricky, and part (iii) on question 1 was pretty awkward! Was hoping to get a H1 but I think I won't be getting it after that tbh


  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123


    I got 98% in my pre and honestly think i might have only scraped a H3 if not a H4 in ,sums up how **** the paper was for me.So annoyed like I have never got below 95% in a test since the start of 5th year.The Lc is a joke


  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234


    Telo123 wrote: »
    I got 98% in my pre and honestly think i might have only scraped a H3 if not a H4 in ,sums up how **** the paper was for me.So annoyed like I have never got below 95% in a test since the start of 5th year.The Lc is a joke

    Often you'll think that, but it's not necessarily true. If you got 95 in your pre you know your stuff & im sure you did better than you think, I thought I got 50-60 in my Irish mock and ended up with a h2.

    Found the supply and demand question very tough but other than that it was okay. I said imperfect competition for artisan market bc it said 'lots of new firms are entering', I don't think they can dock me for that since I explained it.

    For the supply & demand graphs of Q1, i just changed one of the demand of supply curves each time. Did you have to shift both for those graphs? I struggled a lot with that question


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31


    jogd1234 wrote: »
    For the supply & demand graphs of Q1, i just changed one of the demand of supply curves each time. Did you have to shift both for those graphs? I struggled a lot with that question

    I don't think so, for the first one (technological advancement in production) I shifted the supply curve, the second one (tax on cars) I shifted the demand curve as demand for electric cars would increase. I can't remember what the last one was.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Monaghan_98


    jogd1234 wrote: »
    Often you'll think that, but it's not necessarily true. If you got 95 in your pre you know your stuff & im sure you did better than you think, I thought I got 50-60 in my Irish mock and ended up with a h2.

    Found the supply and demand question very tough but other than that it was okay. I said imperfect competition for artisan market bc it said 'lots of new firms are entering', I don't think they can dock me for that since I explained it.

    For the supply & demand graphs of Q1, i just changed one of the demand of supply curves each time. Did you have to shift both for those graphs? I struggled a lot with that question

    I could be wrong but I think you had to shift the supply curve to the right for the first one, the demand curve to the right for the second one, and the demand curve to the left for the last one


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31


    "Leaving Cert Economics: Housing questions an ‘over-examination’"

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-economics-housing-questions-an-over-examination-1.3127906

    I definitely agree with that. There was only one short question on Brexit yet there were questions about housing/rent prices all over the paper! I know it's a major problem at the moment but the number of questions on it was excessive.
    I could be wrong but I think you had to shift the supply curve to the right for the first one, the demand curve to the right for the second one, and the demand curve to the left for the last one

    I'm fairly sure that's what I did. Part (c) was confusing though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Monaghan_98


    VG31 wrote: »
    "Leaving Cert Economics: Housing questions an ‘over-examination’"

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-economics-housing-questions-an-over-examination-1.3127906

    I definitely agree with that. There was only one short question on Brexit yet there were questions about housing/rent prices all over the paper! I know it's a major problem at the moment but the number of questions on it was excessive.



    I'm fairly sure that's what I did. Part (c) was confusing though.

    Yeah the wording of the last part did confuse me too tbh, also part (c) of question 2 was apparently an oligopoly according to the independent? I was almost sure it was an imperfectly competitive market... oh well done now :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31


    Yeah the wording of the last part did confuse me too tbh, also part (c) of question 2 was apparently an oligopoly according to the independent? I was almost sure it was an imperfectly competitive market... oh well done now :o

    It said monopolistic/oligopoly (monopolistic is another name for imperfect competition), so you were correct.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234


    VG31 wrote: »
    It said monopolistic/oligopoly (monopolistic is another name for imperfect competition), so you were correct.

    No, monopolistic is unrelated to imperfect competition.

    IMO they'll probably give marks for imperfect comp OR oligopoly, since it was unclear & majority would probably have said imperfect.

    For the supply & demand graphs I think I did what ye said, load off my mind. I was wondering if you had to shift both the supply & the demand curves on any particular graph, seems you didn't. Might've got the H1 if that's the case


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31


    jogd1234 wrote: »
    No, monopolistic is unrelated to imperfect competition.

    Monopolistic competition and imperfect competition are the same thing. Your probably confusing monopolistic with monopoly which are completely different.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Wyd2017


    Would someone kindly be able to tell me if-

    (I) The artisan food market was imperfect Competition
    Ii) the" motor tax on petrol cars in the future" would have caused the demand curve to shift to the right
    Iii) MRP curve for labour is the one with a backwards C ( lol)
    IV) what the answers for the true or false were
    I got T,F,T,T
    V) What two other methods of measuring national income other than output, I didn't know so I wrote down expenditure and income method?
    Vii) falling pound with respect to the Euro makes Irish goods more expensive on the international market?


  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234


    VG31 wrote: »
    Monopolistic competition and imperfect competition are the same thing. Your probably confusing monopolistic with monopoly which are completely different.

    Sorry, forgot that was another name for it. That's a relief anyway


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Wyd2017


    Also if the price ceiling on rents would have caused a shortage


  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj


    I think it would have resulted in a supply curve that slopes upwards at the start but then is horizontal when the price reaches €700 or whatever it was. I thought it was a hard paper tbh...I did the first three questions and the inflation question. Definitely too much emphasis on the housing market


  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭prmcnamara


    The Independent described it as a "very challenging paper". I didn't find it that bad and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing for me. It was definitely a weird paper though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N


    Found it hard enough tbh. Hadn't a clue what to do for part (a) of the National Income question but the other parts were okay. Trade Question was a bit different to the usual ones too. Was hoping for a H1 but I doubt I got it after that paper tbh.


Advertisement