Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAF (UK) - Restricting Private Aviation?

Options
  • 21-06-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have connections to the private aviation sector and apparently in the past few weeks the RAF bases used for private aviation, mainly around London I believe, have reduce the capacity and movements of private aviation. It would appear slots are harder to get at short notice, a staple of the private aviation jet set I suppose.

Curious is there a reason as to why?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

What I think is ridiculous is that it's 2017, commercial aviation is busier than even and yet most of the airspace over Wales is restricted as it's "military" airspace, despite it being smack bang in the centre of one of the busiest sectors in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Perhaps 737MAX has something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eponymous wrote: »
    Perhaps 737MAX has something to do with it?

No.

Security concerns and likely military build-up would be. A new aircraft model that won't ever fly there isn't

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

L1011 wrote: »
    Security concerns and likely military build-up would be. A new aircraft model that won't ever fly there isn't

I think that reference was the poster here called 737MAX!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Although your post is vague, I assume you are referring to RAF Northolt as it sees a significant amount of private jet traffic.

Although it is an old link, this may be a contributory factor although I haven't heard much recently.

https://www.bigginhillairport.com/2015/01/court-case-causes-safety-review-of-raf-northolt/

Northolt can only have X amount of aircraft movements per day. With the increase in private jet traffic its not unreasonable to assume that its getting harder by virtue of the increased demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenger wrote: »
    I think that reference was the poster here called 737MAX!! ;)

Ah yes. Its too sodding hot here for injokes. Office built in 1968 and not really modernised since :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Advertisement