Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Mira 2 Elite

Options
  • 21-06-2017 7:55am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry for the newb questions, but my Mira Elite 2 Shower has finally given up the ghost, had a friend look at it and he reckons the pump is gone in it, as it is 15 years old and has had (at least) daily use I really can't complain. I need to replace it and am looking for a recommendation for a like for like, there seems to be loads of options on Argos and sites like that so I'd really appreciate advice on a like for like replacement. The shower is in an upstairs en-suite and is tank fed, I'd prefer to have 1 with the same footprint as the old 1 so I don't have to go messing with tiles. I also don't have any brand affinity.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Clareman wrote:
    Sorry for the newb questions, but my Mira Elite 2 Shower has finally given up the ghost, had a friend look at it and he reckons the pump is gone in it, as it is 15 years old and has had (at least) daily use I really can't complain. I need to replace it and am looking for a recommendation for a like for like, there seems to be loads of options on Argos and sites like that so I'd really appreciate advice on a like for like replacement. The shower is in an upstairs en-suite and is tank fed, I'd prefer to have 1 with the same footprint as the old 1 so I don't have to go messing with tiles. I also don't have any brand affinity.

You can get a new mira elite should have a similar foot print only thing is it will more than likely need the cable changed from your board to the shower. Existing shower is probably fed by 6sq and new shower will more than likely need 10sq. Get a registered electrician to check cabling for you. Replacing a shower is restricted works now so you have to use a registered electrician and you must get a reci cert for the works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

EHP wrote: »
    You can get a new mira elite should have a similar foot print only thing is it will more than likely need the cable changed from your board to the shower. Existing shower is probably fed by 6sq and new shower will more than likely need 10sq. Get a registered electrician to check cabling for you. Replacing a shower is restricted works now so you have to use a registered electrician and you must get a reci cert for the works.

I'll be getting a registered electrician to do the work, water and electricity isn't a good thing to be messing with.

Any links to any decent new Mira Elites?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Clareman wrote:

Go to your local plumbing providers they nearly all carry them in stock and most will have them on display.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

EHP wrote: »
    Go to your local plumbing providers they nearly all carry them in stock and most will have them on display.

Good point, I'll head down at lunch, I've gotten so used to buying online I was going to just order it and click and collect it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Clareman wrote:

The current version of the mira elite, the mira elite qt, is very problematic. Search here on boards.ie for Mira elite qt & you will see how bad this shower can be. Main issues are casing cracking, leaks and really bad pumps.
    I would suggest a triton t90sr. It's a different footprint to the mira but this is won't pose a problem if you use a dedicated electric shower repair company. If for any reason the triton t90sr won't work out then have a look at the triton t900pi. It's the same footprint as the mira elite. It's the same type of quality as your old mira.
    The triton t90sr is by far the best pumped electric shower on the market so I'd be trying to make this work if you possible

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The current version of the mira elite, the mira elite qt, is very problematic. Search here on boards.ie for Mira elite qt & you will see how bad this shower can be. Main issues are casing cracking, leaks and really bad pumps.
    I would suggest a triton t90sr. It's a different footprint to the mira but this is won't pose a problem if you use a dedicated electric shower repair company. If for any reason the triton t90sr won't work out then have a look at the triton t900pi. It's the same footprint as the mira elite. It's the same type of quality as your old mira.
    The triton t90sr is by far the best pumped electric shower on the market so I'd be trying to make this work if you possible

Thanks, a friend of mine is an electrician and will be installing it for me, I've another friend a tiler who could fix any problems with tiles I guess.

I ended up getting a MIRA Elite QT from a local suppliers, they said that there can be problems with them but they are very good in hard water areas like Clare and if there's a problem it'll appear within the first 2 years so the warranty will cover it, they also pointed out that my last Mira lasted 15 years so why change to another brand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Hi Sleeper12, I've been following relevant threads for a long time and the day has finally come --- my 14 years old Mira Elite 2 gave up with water leakage and electric shock. As per your recommendation, I have bought a brand new Triton T90SR for the replacement. My major problem is that my shower area is really restricted and there is only around 5-6 centimenters from the right side of the Mira shower to the shower door. I am expecting some plumbing work. What would be the easiest workaround? Just want to get a clear picture on how much work would be involved to avoid any rip-off. Thank you!

We do jobs like this a few times per week. If it's a concrete wall then there's a tough job chasing the wall. If it is a stud partition then I'll be easy enough to move the pipe & cable the few inches. An angle grinder will make short work of it but even a tile bit will do if no angle grinder.
    It's possible that there are no tiles behind the shower so you might need to patch it up.

We do jobs like this a few times per week. If it's a concrete wall then there's a tough job chasing the wall. If it is a stud partition then I'll be easy enough to move the pipe & cable the few inches. An angle grinder will make short work of it but even a tile bit will do if no angle grinder.
    It's possible that there are no tiles behind the shower so you might need to patch it up.

Thanks for the quick response, Sleeper12! I believe it is a stud partition. Would a certified electrician be capable of doing all these on his own?

• Advertisement

icylava wrote:
    Thanks for the quick response, Sleeper12! I believe it is a stud partition. Would a certified electrician be capable of doing all these on his own?

He certainly should be. They do a lot of same work plumbers do. We'd have to fish pipes down walls and electrician fish cables. We pull floorboards upstairs and so we doing they.
    Should be easy peasy for him.

He certainly should be. They do a lot of same work plumbers do. We'd have to fish pipes down walls and electrician fish cables. We pull floorboards upstairs and so we doing they.
    Should be easy peasy for him.

Got the shower replaced yesterday! I'm amazed by how silent Triton T90SR is. It's almost like main-fed electric shower! Water pressure is great. I'm very happy with the replacement.

The cable and pipe did get move a bit but we tried to do as little damage as possible to the tiles. The shower head slide rail was not moved and the right side of the main shower case is now very close to the shower door, which is fine and is not causing any issues.

The only thing that's not perfect is that wall was tiled to fit the shape of the Mira shower so there are no tiles behind the Mira shower. We had to patch up a bit. It would be perfect if the tiler could foresee possible shower replacement in a few years time and only leave a small hole on the tile for the cable and pipe ....:-)

icylava wrote: »
    Got the shower replaced yesterday! I'm amazed by how silent Triton T90SR is. It's almost like main-fed electric shower! Water pressure is great. I'm very happy with the replacement.

The cable and pipe did get move a bit but we tried to do as little damage as possible to the tiles. The shower head slide rail was not moved and the right side of the main shower case is now very close to the shower door, which is fine and is not causing any issues.

The only thing that's not perfect is that wall was tiled to fit the shape of the Mira shower so there are no tiles behind the Mira shower. We had to patch up a bit. It would be perfect if the tiler could foresee possible shower replacement in a few years time and only leave a small hole on the tile for the cable and pipe ....:-)

That's the way it's supposed to be done. There's too many "Handymen" passing themselves off as tilers.
    I'm delighted it worked out in the end. You made the right choice with that Triton. Less than 1 percent, actually closer to a half percent fail rate under warranty

Advertisement