Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Query; Fingal County Council

Options
  • 20-06-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,
    This question is specifically in relation to Fingal County Council. (Rural)

My Parents currently live in rural fingal and they have a large house on a half acre site; they would like to downsize and buy a new site in the same area; but they have been told that they won't qualifiy for planning permission as they already had a house in the area.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hello,
    This question is specifically in relation to Fingal County Council. (Rural)

My Parents currently live in rural fingal and they have a large house on a half acre site; they would like to downsize and buy a new site in the same area; but they have been told that they won't qualifiy for planning permission as they already had a house in the area.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks!
    You could move in to their house and reconfigure to give them a 'granny flat' downsizing sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheLowlyCat

BryanF wrote: »
    You could move in to their house and reconfigure to give them a 'granny flat' downsizing sorted!

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Basically they've their hearts set on a fresh build down the road and I can't afford to move away from work.

I am struggling to see why they wouldn't apply for planning just because they've already built a house in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

I don't think it's a runner as defined as housing need already met.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheLowlyCat

But surely there have been many older couples who wanted to build something smaller in the same area rather than going with the "granny flat" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Curious Fingal

yes I agree, Iam in almost exactly the same prediciment, I was born and reared and lived all my life in the area I am in rural Fingal and I am trying to sell my current large house which is on a large site but I want to stay living in the exact same area. The local farmer will sell me a new site but I am told there is no way I will get planning permission, againa l I want to do is downsize and stay in the same area.

• Advertisement

Myself and my wife received planning permission in the 1980's to build a bungalow on our own site in Fingal.
    The problem is now that all the kids have left, the house has become too big for the 2 of us and I wish to sell the house .
    The local farmer is willing to sell me another half acre site 300yrds from where im currently living.
    My question is am I eligible to qualify for planning permission on the new site if I sell my current property. I have been living in this area all my life which is 54yrs. We need to downsize but don't want to leave my immediate area.
    Anyone got any ideas???

This:
    Angry bird wrote: »
    I don't think it's a runner as defined as housing need already met.
    Anyone got any ideas???

Buy a site within a village or town boundary. Or do a house swap?

Buying a site within a village makes no odds still wont qualify!!!
    How could a house swap work they are trying to downsize???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Will not get planning for a new house. Want to downsize then buy, there's no other way of sugar coating it.

Buying a site within a village makes no odds still wont qualify!!!
    How could a house swap work they are trying to downsize???
    What 'qualification' is required if your within a development boundary?
    Re house swap- simply money your way, if the value of your property is greater!

• Advertisement
Advertisement