Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert at Home

Options
  • 20-06-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

God forbid I'll need to repeat, but honestly despite everything the LC exams was a total catastrophe. While I could explain the background info another time - has anyone here repeated the LC at home, or even home schooled the course entirely? Or know anyone who has? The secondary school experience just wasn't for me, and while I know there's obviously a fixed curriculum and particular methods to answering questions etc., I know I'm more of an 'independent learner', I just feel a different approach to the Leaving Certificate in general would suit me. Also, as an external candidate, how would I go about orals and my Geography project (which I hope I can duplicate, maybe :confused: )?

^^^^ Yes, hypothetical but any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't duplicate the projects and you would need to get a teacher to be able to attest they supervised your work on next year's projects. You could do this with your old teachers (if they agreed) and drop in once every so often to show them what you have done. You would probably need to arrange to go on next year's Geog Field Trip with next year's group.

You probably haven't done as badly as you think.
    Just in case, investigate PLC routes into your desired course and have a backup plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Having repeated this year, I would recommend going back to school. I had free classes during English and Irish as I didn't repeat them and took on other subjects. I know even from just these classes that I would have died of boredom at home if I had to sustain that much time learning independently. I did feel coming to the end of the year that I would be better off at home, but I didn't because it is extremely hard to stay motivated when not in school, classes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 covfefe98

God forbid I'll need to repeat, but honestly despite everything the LC exams was a total catastrophe. While I could explain the background info another time - has anyone here repeated the LC at home, or even home schooled the course entirely? Or know anyone who has? The secondary school experience just wasn't for me, and while I know there's obviously a fixed curriculum and particular methods to answering questions etc., I know I'm more of an 'independent learner', I just feel a different approach to the Leaving Certificate in general would suit me. Also, as an external candidate, how would I go about orals and my Geography project (which I hope I can duplicate, maybe :confused: )?

In a similar position to yourself. If you were in good terms with your teachers in your old school they surely wouldn't mind signing off your coursework otherwise I guess grind school offer these resources (not sure but ik The Institute does this for Ag Science based off their website).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ronanmurphy98

covfefe98 wrote: »
    In a similar position to yourself. If you were in good terms with your teachers in your old school they surely wouldn't mind signing off your coursework otherwise I guess grind school offer these resources (not sure but ik The Institute does this for Ag Science based off their website).

Well at least I know I'm not alone ! :D If I repeat, its unlikely I'll sit it in my present school however - the board don't allow students from grind schools to sit the LC but I'm not too sure about myself. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to change Geography for another subject, maybe Economics given its a short course - I could be a lot worse off. I have heard of external candidates getting Ag science projects signed off fairly easily but no other projects in other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aimeeggg

I repeated this year but only decided in November, I was in UCD. By far the best decision I made. I was thinking of doing the same but I feel like you need structure, you don't understand how structure is a huge element of studying, however if you're super disciplined then it's definitely doable. I went to the institute this year and it was amazing. So unlike a normal secondary school. You get to go to what classes you want to and if not you can just go to the study hall that's open from 6am - 9pm. There's no school politics or interaction which I loved as I just wanted to focus on my leaving however if you're looking for friendship you can definitely use the institute for that there's a huge social element there if you're open to it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

aimeeggg wrote: »
    I repeated this year but only decided in November, I was in UCD. By far the best decision I made. I was thinking of doing the same but I feel like you need structure, you don't understand how structure is a huge element of studying, however if you're super disciplined then it's definitely doable. I went to the institute this year and it was amazing. So unlike a normal secondary school. You get to go to what classes you want to and if not you can just go to the study hall that's open from 6am - 9pm. There's no school politics or interaction which I loved as I just wanted to focus on my leaving however if you're looking for friendship you can definitely use the institute for that there's a huge social element there if you're open to it

It's 'unlike a normal secondary school' because it's not a school.
    Where will you sit your exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aimeeggg

spurious wrote: »
    It's 'unlike a normal secondary school' because it's not a school.
    Where will you sit your exams?

I sat my exams in my old school but the institute does have its own exam centre

Advertisement