Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Min charge for surgery in public health service?

Options
  • 20-06-2017 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭

I've no medical card or insurance and going in for operation in Beaumont on the public health system.

Is there a charge I pay for this ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Or is it free if you are referred by a GP (as I was)?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've no medical card or insurance and going in for operation in Beaumont on the public health system.

Is there a charge I pay for this ?

Thanks

It's €80 per day up to a maximum of 800 in any rolling year.

It's €80 per day up to a maximum of 800 in any rolling year.

Cheers, is the "free with GP referral" only for emergency operations ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cheers, is the "free with GP referral" only for emergency operations ?

The 80 per day is for overnight stays

Stheno wrote: »

Its not overnight, its a day operation and going home in afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thought it's if you need a bed regardless of whether it's over night, I got hit with it twice this year, once for an overnight and once for day surgery. I've private insurance.

Thought it's if you need a bed regardless of whether it's over night, I got hit with it twice this year, once for an overnight and once for day surgery. I've private insurance.

Well I'll be under a general so will be in bed for 8 hours or so and get the usual afters (tea/toast) so maybe that incurs the 80 charge?

Weird you got charged if u had insurance, thought the bill went to your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe I can claim it back or something must check but had to pay it when checking in.

Or a day case procedure as well. Scopes and other minor theatre day surgeries are billed at 80 for public patients.

Well I'll be under a general so will be in bed for 8 hours or so and get the usual afters (tea/toast) so maybe that incurs the 80 charge?

Weird you got charged if u had insurance, thought the bill went to your insurer.

The hospital I work in do direct billing to insurers and the first the patient hears about it is when they get their statement once their insurance has settled it.

The GP referral covering the cost relates to A+E charges not to elective procedures.
    Also if you're admitted to hospital then the A&E charge isn't raised, you then go into the 80 per day situation.
    Good Luck!

• Advertisement

The hospital I work in do direct billing to insurers and the first the patient hears about it is when they get their statement once their insurance has settled it.

The GP referral covering the cost relates to A+E charges not to elective procedures.
    Also if you're admitted to hospital then the A&E charge isn't raised, you then go into the 80 per day situation.
    Good Luck!

OK right, so if you break your arm and see a GP they get you in for the A+E rate (I.e. free), but if you see a GP about getting a non-emergency operation done (I.e. removing a metal plate etc) then you pay 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

OK right, so if you break your arm and see a GP they get you in for the A+E rate (I.e. free), but if you see a GP about getting a non-emergency operation done (I.e. removing a metal plate etc) then you pay 80?

The A&E charge and the daily rate for using a hospital bed are two different things.

If you break your arm and your GP refers you to A&E, you do not have to pay the A&E charge. If you are sent home, there are no other charges. If A&E admit you to hospital, you then have to pay 80 per day

If you are booked into hospital in advance for a procedure, you pay 80 a day.

huskerdu wrote: »
    The A&E charge and the daily rate for using a hospital bed are two different things.

If you break your arm and your GP refers you to A&E, you do not have to pay the A&E charge. If you are sent home, there are no other charges. If A&E admit you to hospital, you then have to pay 80 per day

If you are booked into hospital in advance for a procedure, you pay 80 a day.

Crystal clear thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Or a day case procedure as well. Scopes and other minor theatre day surgeries are billed at 80 for public patients.

I've had a couple of endoscopes done and wasnt charged.

I've had a couple of endoscopes done and wasnt charged.

Have you got a medical card or insurance?

Were you referred by a GP? Was it in the A&E ?

Have you got a medical card or insurance?

Were you referred by a GP? Was it in the A&E ?

no to the first two questions and i was referred by my GP.

no to the first two questions and i was referred by my GP.

I think then GP referrals get you a free procedure because it's not classed as "surgery", or because it was in the A&E.

Perhaps someone else knows for definite.

I think then GP referrals get you free procedure because it's not classed as "surgery", or because it was in the A&E.

Perhaps someone else knows for definite.

nothing to do with A+E. i havent been to a+e in years. 2 endoscopes that involved sedation and i took up a bed if only for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Going in for my second operation in 5 years this Thursday, I'd better hurry on and track down my medical card.

This thread is after waking me up now.

€80 is something I'm short on at the present moment.

KC161 wrote: »
    Going in for my second operation in 5 years this Thursday, I'd better hurry on and track down my medical card.

This thread is after waking me up now.

€80 is something I'm short on at the present moment.

Good luck, glad to have highlighted it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement