Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Found - Red Nokia 6700 Ballinclea

Options
  • 19-06-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭

Found last Thursday/Friday at the entrance to Ballinclea Park (the Res), Killiney.
    SIM inside, I haven't been able to find a Nokia charger yet with the small charging pin to power it up.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

josip, take the sim out and it should show which company its for. Contact them and give them the sim card number and tell them you are trying to trace the owner and they should sort it all out for you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

jonnycivic wrote: »
    josip, take the sim out and it should show which company its for. Contact them and give them the sim card number and tell them you are trying to trace the owner and they should sort it all out for you then.

Three said that I should take the phone to the nearest Garda station :(
    So Three don't give a fiddlers, and I doubt if the Gardai will engage the services of their forensics bureau for this one.
    I'll try to get a phone that takes a full size sim and see if the recent call list will help me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

josip wrote: »
    So Three don't give a fiddlers, and I doubt if the Gardai will engage the services of their forensics bureau for this one.
    I'll try to get a phone that takes a full size sim and see if the recent call list will help me.

Thats very unusual, i have never had an issue with lost phones with any of the providers and I have used all them now to return phones I have found.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

see if the recent call list will help me.

many have a number called "Home" too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

What do you expect three to do? - It probably a PAYG with little or no contact details. They have zero responsibility here.

Of course Gardai won't do any forensics or anything else, but it is where you go if you found something and want to try and get it back to the owner.

Similarly if you lost something, many would call the local garda station to see if it was left in.

• Advertisement

Yes gardai is the place to go, I did not cop on the OP was dismissive of the idea.

Last phone I found I believe belonged to a schoolgirl on her way to a local school near a garda station, as it was on a route htey use and had girly stickers on it. So left it in the station and said it was likely belonging to a student. If stuff is not collected after a certain time I think they are meant to contact you and you are allowed take it yoursef if you wish. (I heard bike thieves used this scam, rob a bike in dublin hand it into a station in galway, claim the bike as their own a year later).

Second last phone I found the "Home" number and a guy came to collect it in about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That phone was launched in 2004 and if any of you are on Facebook and follow Dublin Bus, you will be aware that they are continuously screaming about the number of lost phones they have and which nobody comes to claim.

So handing that phone into a Garda Station will be a complete waste of time, it's completely worthless and obsolete. I'm not surprised that Three didn't want to know and while I salute the OP's attitude in attempting to unite the phone with it's owner, you really have to say that in this case there isn't any justification for any action beyond dropping it into your local Spar, sticking a note in the window and leaving it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

One of the lads in work who never dumps anything, brought in a slimline Nokia charger and we got the phone charged up.

The SIM was no longer functional but the keypad wasn't locked so from the messages I was able to get in touch with the owner.

The last messages were from 2011 which was when the owner last used it so it was probably one of their kids who had it in the park. So apart from a small satisfaction of having tracked down the owner, the exercise was of zero practical benefit.
    Might even be a negative outcome if one of the kids gets in trouble, although that's unlikely given the age of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

One of the lads in work who never dumps anything, brought in a slimline Nokia charger and we got the phone charged up.

The SIM was no longer functional but the keypad wasn't locked so from the messages I was able to get in touch with the owner.

The last messages were from 2011 which was when the owner last used it so it was probably one of their kids who had it in the park. So apart from a small satisfaction of having tracked down the owner, the exercise was of zero practical benefit.
    Might even be a negative outcome if one of the kids gets in trouble, although that's unlikely given the age of the phone.

Very well done !!!!

Very well done !!!!

Are you feeling it too - the reflected warm glow of smug satisfaction (worthy of no less than four exclamation marks), knowing that the OP busted his arse to reunite the phone with it's owner?

Oh hang on...
    .... the exercise was of zero practical benefit.

Virtue is it's own reward.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    So handing that phone into a Garda Station will be a complete waste of time, it's completely worthless and obsolete.
    The phone could be of huge value to the owner, I know both my parents would be very upset if they lost their phones (with little resale value). It is not the value of the phone, it is what is on it.

I would imagine many people would have messages, numbers, notes, addresses, photos etc which they have never backed up.

It would be like saying "I found an old photo album, possibly briming with photos, had an address book, possibly totally filled out inside too, but there were locks on them, I fecked them out, sure you can get similar down the 2 euro shop".

I have seen old looking phones shown in photos on the gardai lost & found section. I can well imagine some people are delighted to get their phone back from dublin bus too.

rubadub wrote: »
    The phone could be of huge value to the owner, I know both my parents would be very upset if they lost their phones (with little resale value). It is not the value of the phone, it is what is on it.

It's a toss-up as to which happens first - they lose the phone or it just stops working. The outcome is the same, you lose the data. So I'm not losing sleep over a 13 year old phone that got mislaid, it would have stopped working fairly soon anyway.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen old looking phones shown in photos on the gardai lost & found section.

And your point is?

The reason the Garda and Dublin Bus websites have so many unclaimed phones is because they are old crocks that people aren't bothered to reclaim.

The outcome is the same, you lose the data.
    the data people want most may be on the sim and/or memory card in the phone.
    And your point is?
    point is that gardai seemingly do accept in phones, old or not, it is clear they do not think it is "a complete waste of time". Obviously they do get people looking for them or they would not be putting them up. I would not expect them to have photos of say a pair of iphone headphones which may have the same resale value as a clapped out phone -they obviously recognise that a phone may be of massive value -like most people would.
    The reason the Garda and Dublin Bus websites have so many unclaimed phones is because they are old crocks that people aren't bothered to reclaim.
    thanks Captain Obvious. And the "old crocks" that are claimed is because people are bothered to reclaim them -for obvious reasons, well obvious to me anyway.

Advertisement