Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Primevideo - Subtitles issue

Options
  • 19-06-2017 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hey there folks.

Has anyone else experienced issues with English Subtitles for foreign portions of English Titles on Primevideo? These would be sections of a predominantly English Language TV show or Movie where characters speak a foreign language for a scene. Usually these sections have automated English Subtitles however for some reason on Primevideo these sections don't and if you switch on subtitles it defaults to showing the foreign language subtitles and usually there are no English subtitles available (because it's an English title!).

I have come across this in Mr Robot (during the Danish passages) , the movie The Debt (which is unwatchable as a result) and most recently in Fear the Walking Dead (S1 : E3)!30 mins 30 seconds in they speak Spanish, if you put on English CC it just says 'Speaks Spanish' which is a wonderful help.

Curious whether anyone else has noticed this or better yet has a work around? Support are no use and just tell me how to switch on CC which as noted doesn't solve anything.

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Yeah I found this aswell. When watching the man in the high castle. & mr robot.
    In high castle the subtitles would be fine for an episode (there is a lot of Japanese) and then when the next episode played, the subtitles from the previous episode would come up! In the end I just had to have cc on all the time.

I've no solution I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Karmella wrote: »
    Yeah I found this aswell. When watching the man in the high castle. & mr robot.
    In high castle the subtitles would be fine for an episode (there is a lot of Japanese) and then when the next episode played, the subtitles from the previous episode would come up! In the end I just had to have cc on all the time.

I've no solution I'm afraid :(

Yup forgot about Man in the High Castle, pita, at least it ain't just me. I ended up googling for Mr Robot and found a redit thread where someone gave the Danish translations which was quite useful. Its unfortunate though as it really spoils things, hopefully they get it sortef. If you're feeling inclined you might ping support so they get other people reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Yep, I've reported it to support before. Lots of problems with subtitles.

Occono wrote: »
    Yep, I've reported it to support before. Lots of problems with subtitles.

It's a right pain in the @ss...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but when I did a search, this seemed to be the thread for the issue I was having.

I recently popped on Deutschland 83 on Amazon Prime and there is still the same problem as described above. There doesn't seem to be any default English language subtitles for the show, only English CC, which can be very annoying/distracting if you are just reading the subtitles for translation purposes and not because of any hard of hearing reasons.

I was recently watching The Americans on Amazon and had no issues during the Russian sections (sub-titles displayed just fine). Is it because a show like The Americans has the subtitles built into the show, but a German language show like Deutschland 83 doesn't?
    The new season is starting soon (possibly an Amazon exclusive?), but now I'm hoping it still appears on Channel 4 or RTE again so I can watch it with normal subtitles instead.

• Advertisement

Great show, dreadful streaming service

Advertisement