Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast cancer query

Options
  • 18-06-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi

I'm 38 years old, and have received a diagnosis of breast cancer this week.

I first noticed a lump in my breast a few weeks ago. Went to the GP, who wasn't concerned, but referred me to St. James hospital, as routine. There, the registrar who examined me again wasn't too concerned, but sent me for a Mammogram and Ultrasound. My first indication that something might not be right was watching the face of the girl who did the Ultrasound. She did not look happy - but it's hard to read people's faces - then suddenly another Radiologist popped in, took a look, and advised he wasn't sure what the lump was, but would take a biopsy, as a precaution. I went back this week, to be told this was a grade 2 cancer.

The thing is, I have almost none of the risk factors. I'm young, no weight issues, don't smoke, no family history.

Also, and this is my query, I don't feel unwell (which is good news...). I feel the same as normal. I'm aware of this lump in my breast, but it's not painful, and I don't feel sick. For this reason, I find the diagnosis almost hard to believe.

Have others had this experience? (being told you have cancer, but feeling ok).

I've got this half idea in my head that they might have mixed up the tests in the lab. Yesterday, I was thinking, could I ask them to redo the biopsy, as a precaution, before starting treatment....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

First of all, I'm sorry you have have bad news. I know that this is a shock which is hard to take in, and will take time to absorb.

A cancerous tumour often does not make you feel unwell and are typically non painful.You don't have to be is a high risk category to get breast cancer. A lot of women are feeling fine and living a healthy life when they find a lump.

No-one here can tell you that the diagnosis was wrong, but the fact that you are well and healthy does not mean that you cant get breast cancer.

Take your doctors advice about appropriate treatment and the next steps. Ask all the questions you need at your next appointment and take someone with you to help. Its hard to remember what to ask and what was said.

Good luck with the treatment, don't forget that caught early, the prognosis is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi Huskerdu

Thanks very much for your input, and kind words.

Agreed, I'll be preparing a list of questions to take to the next appointment.

Definitely not looking for any medical advice here, just an insight into other people's experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Smythz

Hi there, I was 35 when diagnosed and had no symptoms at all and wasn't feeling in anyway unwell.
    As they say - sh*t happens.
    You will get through it, it will be quite a bumpy road but remember how far treatment has come and how successful it can be.
    Wishing you the very best on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

Hi there. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis but you are very lucky to have got it caught early. You say you have no risk factors.. have you ever been pregnant had a child or take hormonal contraception?
    What will most likely happen now is surgery chemo or radiation, sometimes 2/3 but you will discuss with your consultant what is best for you. If surgery, there are various options available following the surgery such as prosthetic bras, implants and other preservation measures. They may also do a sentinel node biopsy at the time of surgery to check if it has spread to your lymph nodes.
    You should write down a list of questions and bring them in and utilize your time with the consultant. But dont worry.. you seem to have been diagnosed early which is good. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Thanks for your feedback Smythz and Casual Control.

I've been back to the consultant since my original post, and have a lot more information at this stage. They discovered the cancer is Her2+, so it appears I will need chemo + surgery (including sentinel node) + ratiotherapy + Herceptin for a year.... I'm getting the full works.

Waiting to get the start date now.

I still find it hard to believe at times, as I still feel fine. But apparently, this is quite usual, I've heard from a few different sources now. This is something which should be noted by others in the same situation. One of the nurses did say to me that this is a positive sign, as could indicate the cancer is not yet attacking the body.

In answer to your last query, no I had none of the risk factors. Never even been pregnant and not on hormonal contraceptive.

It seems to be just a case of very bad luck.

So, a warning to other girls, do keep a good eye on your body, and don't assume it won't happen to you.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Good luck with everything. I hope everything works out.
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    In answer to your last query, no I had none of the risk factors. Never even been pregnant and not on hormonal contraceptive.

Actually, starting periods earlier and/or never being pregnant slightly increases the chances of breast cancer and the pill only increases the risk by a very small amount.

There are so many things can can slightly change the risk, that none of us know.

It seems to be just a case of very bad luck.

So, a warning to other girls, do keep a good eye on your body, and don't assume it won't happen to you.....

Very good advice. The biggest risk factor for breast cancer is being female.
    It can strike anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Smythz

Best of Luck.
    I said to myself - I'll give cancer and treatment 1 year of my life in exchange for the rest of my life - this helped me accept the news.
    I had pretty much same treatments bar Herceptin but saw people who were on herceptin and seems to be easiest part of the treatment though its the longest. So if you can get the rest out of the way the hardest part will be done.
    you can PM me if you want to ask me anything.
    Also in the AMA there is a thread posted by someone going through treatment now.

Advertisement