Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options?

Options
  • 18-06-2017 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I badly screwed up my leaving cert so far and still have 2 subjects to go. I'm certain at this stage I won't get anything in my CAO (all over 400 points). I've struggled with a chronic illness for the past 3 years and missed a lot of school and fell behind. I don't find the leaving cert to be bad at all but didn't get the opportunity to prepare for it. The courses i'm aiming for are between Medicinal Chemistry in Trinity, Science in UCD or Chemical and Pharmaceutical Science in DCU (want to get a decent career in Pharmaceutical so I know what I want to do). Only have he core basics covered but have the notes for every subject so that's not a problem. What are my options for next year as I'm defo not getting any of the above courses(ain't being negative but realistic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Repeat, do a plc or apply for a level 7 since there's still change of mind.
    Science in DIT is around 300, you should see if there's any way doing it can get you where you want to be.
    There may be other options as well, but those were the first that came to mind.

Edit; science in dit isn't 300 but one of the direct courses might be, physics for example is around 330 according to their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 covfefe98

thetalker wrote: »
    Repeat, do a plc or apply for a level 7 since there's still change of mind.
    Science in DIT is around 300, you should see if there's any way doing it can get you where you want to be.
    There may be other options as well, but those were the first that came to mind.

I've looked at the course in DIT but don't feel it'll get me to where I want to be (don't have any problems with the college) and i'm not sure I can get into the courses above with a PLC (not sure if theres a PLC out there for the courses). Was considering repeating from home or going to a repeat college (non fee paying as i'm private school rn) as I've been through the leaving cert cycle for 3 years (did 5th year twice)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

I know you can get into UCD science or DIT science through a plc but there's limited spaces so you'd have to do pretty well.
    Bife has a level 5 in laboratory techniques that apperantly is enough to apply to science in UCD or Trinity.
    But like I said the places are very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

covfefe98 wrote: »
    I've looked at the course in DIT but don't feel it'll get me to where I want to be (don't have any problems with the college) and i'm not sure I can get into the courses above with a PLC (not sure if theres a PLC out there for the courses). Was considering repeating from home or going to a repeat college (non fee paying as i'm private school rn) as I've been through the leaving cert cycle for 3 years (did 5th year twice)

Do some of the access programmes in colleges allow people who have been ill in?

daraghwal wrote: »
    Do some of the access programmes in colleges allow people who have been ill in?

I thought those were only for people with learning difficulties like dyslexia

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you qualify for DARE?
    Not sure if it's too late to apply though, if you haven't already.

**edit Plenty of time for next year.
    http://accesscollege.ie/dare/

spurious wrote: »
    Do you qualify for DARE?
    Not sure if it's too late to apply though, if you haven't already.

**edit Plenty of time for next year.

Yea I'm supposed to qualify under DARE but got rejected. The resource teacher in my school said they changed the application system and they now favour people with physical and intellectual disabilities like fair enough . Many people I know across different schools also got rejected so I guess they changed the system. Guess I'll have to apply as an external candidate to the CAO and DARE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

covfefe98 wrote: »
    Yea I'm supposed to qualify under DARE but got rejected. The resource teacher in my school said they changed the application system and they now favour people with physical and intellectual disabilities like fair enough . Many people I know across different schools also got rejected so I guess they changed the system

Would you be able to concentrate on your studies in college if you fell behind this year. It's only a year and it really isn't the end of the world, if it sets you up better for college it might be your best option. Good luck with your rest of your exams.

Would you be able to concentrate on your studies in college if you fell behind this year. It's only a year and it really isn't the end of the world, if it sets you up better for college it might be your best option. Good luck with your rest of your exams.

Tbh I don't mind repeating since I have all the notes for the subjects but I'll have to pick up another subject. By the sounds of it it'll next to impossible to get into my course with a PLC. I don't know if I should repeat at home or go to a repeat school (not Ashfield or the Institute type schools). I feel that I'll be able to do a lot in one year and have contact with two teachers in my present school for signing the project work. I'm terrible at languages so I'll keep those results and pick a subject between either Business or Economics

• Registered Users Posts: 20 phd

With regards to DARE your eligibility is not impacted by the prioritisation of those with physical or sensory disabilities. Your eligibility is determined by your medical evidence from your consultant and the completed impact statement from your school. Your guidance counsellor has not advised you correctly and perhaps is covering for not having completed the impact statement sufficiently.

• Advertisement

phd wrote: »
    With regards to DARE your eligibility is not impacted by the prioritisation of those with physical or sensory disabilities. Your eligibility is determined by your medical evidence from your consultant and the completed impact statement from your school. Your guidance counsellor has not advised you correctly and perhaps is covering for not having completed the impact statement sufficiently.

I provided sufficient documentation and the school did there part (I go to a well known fee paying school).They helped me get exempt from Irish and German. I don't know I guess. I'll reapply next year. DARE isn't on the top of my mind and even if I got it it still wouldn't be enough at this stage as the courses I put were 400 and above and I'd be lucky even to get 300 points at this stage. Missing a lot of school and appointments played a big pat in this

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I am repeating this year. Last year I did Irish at OL and everything else at HL. English, Maths, Technology, French, Business, Biology, Chemistry. I did biology outside of school since 5th year. This year I am doing just the 6. I am also useless at languages so I'm doing Maths, Technology, French, Biology, Chemistry and Ag Science. I took on Ag science in school this year and I am still doing biology outside school. I would recommend you repeat in a school purely because of the boredom you would experience at home. I had free classes for English and Irish in school this year and just used them as study classes for the Biology. As for taking on another subject, I would recommend doing it. It helps with the boredom of going over the same stuff. If I got bored of say Chemistry, I could just do a bit of Ag Science that I've never done before and then go back to it. It would be extremely hard to stay motivated outside of school and in my experience, it would not work. There is only so much study etc. you can do on your own in a day. I would recommend picking business over economics as business is mostly reading from the book whereas there seems to be a bit more teaching to economics.

daraghwal wrote: »
    I am repeating this year. Last year I did Irish at OL and everything else at HL. English, Maths, Technology, French, Business, Biology, Chemistry. I did biology outside of school since 5th year. This year I am doing just the 6. I am also useless at languages so I'm doing Maths, Technology, French, Biology, Chemistry and Ag Science. I took on Ag science in school this year and I am still doing biology outside school. I would recommend you repeat in a school purely because of the boredom you would experience at home. I had free classes for English and Irish in school this year and just used them as study classes for the Biology. As for taking on another subject, I would recommend doing it. It helps with the boredom of going over the same stuff. If I got bored of say Chemistry, I could just do a bit of Ag Science that I've never done before and then go back to it. It would be extremely hard to stay motivated outside of school and in my experience, it would not work. There is only so much study etc. you can do on your own in a day. I would recommend picking business over economics as business is mostly reading from the book whereas there seems to be a bit more teaching to economics.

Yea fair enough. I'll have to see over the summer if can study properly at home or not and how my schedule goes. Yea I've gotten similar responses to do business from my friends. Appreciate the advice

Advertisement