Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Laptop HDD with SSD, can i use same windows key?

Options
  • 17-06-2017 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

Hello

Work are letting me keep an old laptop for personal use; but they kept the hard drive

Can i install an SSD and use the windows 7 professional key that comes with the laptop (on sticker underneath)

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep. The key is tied to the motherboard (SLIC in the BIOS) so changing drive won't matter.

Sometimes you will be required to phone a Microsoft answering machine to activate it. Takes 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

ED E wrote: »
    Yep. The key is tied to the motherboard (SLIC in the BIOS) so changing drive won't matter.

Sometimes you will be required to phone a Microsoft answering machine to activate it. Takes 2 mins.

Thank you!

ED E wrote: »

So the key is for Win 7 professional (Dell), the windows site that contains the iso wont let me download the iso,it says to contact the manufacturer.

Any ideas? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Can you try
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/OSISO

with the laptops service key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

So the key is for Win 7 professional (Dell), the windows site that contains the iso wont let me download the iso,it says to contact the manufacturer.

Any ideas? :confused:

You could use the media creation tool to make a bootable windows 10 installing usb drive

Much faster then Dvd

Win7 is only supported for about 2.5 years

Your windows 7 pro key will activate windows 10 pro

• Advertisement

ressem wrote: »
    Can you try
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/Drivers/OSISO

with the laptops service key?

That worked mate thank you so much!!

Phonicks wrote: »
    You could use the media creation tool to make a bootable windows 10 installing usb drive

Much faster then Dvd

Win7 is only supported for about 2.5 years

Your windows 7 pro key will activate windows 10 pro

is this still working? i thought that period was over no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

is this still working? i thought that period was over no?

It is still available, did that a few days ago. Worked perfectly.

Advertisement