Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Defence Forces

Options
  • 17-06-2017 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I made serious steps to joining the Irish Navy shortly after I left school in 2007. I dropped out of an Arts Degree in UL after 6 months. I'd everything gone through with the Navy and then I pulled out in September 08 and went back to college. My father stepped in and said no.

At 28 now I regret not doing it.

Anyone here ever serve in the Army, Air Corps or Navy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Not me. But, DEFTLEFTHAND, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You?
    They have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom.

You pulled out, and you ask if anyone here served in the Army, Air Corps, or Navy. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what they know; that serving saves lives. And their existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, 'saves lives'.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want them on that wall. You need them on that wall.

They use words like honor, code, loyalty. They use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. They have neither the time nor the inclination to explain themselves to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that they provide, and then question whether others have served!

I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think, at 28, you regret !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Did you order the code red?

You're God damn right I did !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Man it's the Irish Navy not SEAL Team 3. I didn't expect to be going to war. I was thinking more of patrolling the Irish coastline and bothering fishermen by boarding their vessels to look at their log books.

I've always loved ships and and boats from a young age, my father was a ships officer in the Merchant Navy before he came home settled down and started his business and had a family.

That's what hurt me the most, he put a stop to my plans. He more than anyone should have understood my interest in going to sea. He didn't want that though, he wanted me to do my 4 year Degree and go back and work for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

What's the upper age limit for the reserve defence forces....35? You could still serve with them.

Maybe they'll even let you go full time.

• Advertisement

jcorr wrote: »
    What's the upper age limit for the reserve defence forces....35? You could still serve with them.

Maybe they'll even let you go full time.

I think 26 is the cut off point.

It's gone now for me. It's something which I'll always regret not doing.

The Merchant Navy would still be an option I suppose. 3 year Nautical Science Degree to become a Deck Officer. Not the same thing at all though, I don't want work on merchant ships like my Dad did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Uncle Albert: Just imagine it, Rodney. Monday, you sail out of Southhampton Water. Tuesday, you're through the Bay of Biscay. Wednesday, you've rounded Cape St Vincent. Thursday, you dock in Algiers...

Del Boy: And Friday it's your turn in the barrel!

Uncle Albert:There was nothing like that on any of my vessels! A few funny ones but nothing like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

A relative joined the Army aged late 20s. Older than you. This was recently. At least enquire if it's something you can do.

Uncle Albert: Just imagine it, Rodney. Monday, you sail out of Southhampton Water. Tuesday, you're through the Bay of Biscay. Wednesday, you've rounded Cape St Vincent. Thursday, you dock in Algiers...

Del Boy: And Friday it's your turn in the barrel!

Uncle Albert:There was nothing like that on any of my vessels! A few funny ones but nothing like that!

When they're on the fishing trawler in the 1987 Xmas Special. Uncle Albert is in the wheelhouse

Del: Turn right you silly old git you're going to hit the wall.

Albert: Starboard Del.

Del: Don't give me that Captain Birdseye nonsense, turn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Entertained notions of joining the navy in school, until my career guidance teacher asked "what rank is your dad"?
    "He's not in the navy" said I..
    "Well forget about it so" was my advice.

Plenty of other maritime options that gets you out on the ocean, ever think of retraining? At 28, you could be out with a marine engineering, oceanography degree at 32. Still only a pup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

The Merchant Navy would still be an option I suppose. 3 year Nautical Science Degree to become a Deck Officer. Not the same thing at all though, I don't want work on merchant ships like my Dad did.

A very good friend of mine always had that dream. When he took early retirement from the job we were in - he said right. Mad for it.

He lasted one week. In his words "It ain't a girl in every port and see the sights.... It's being locked in your ****ty dormitory below the water line for 18 hours a go". You couldn't drag him back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

You are only 28. People seem to think if you don't have everything figured out by the time you are 30 you are fcuked. Complete bullsh*t IMO.

I'm in the Navy also (13 years done) and can 110% sympathise with how you are feeling about the place (as for your feelings towards your dad not allowing you to leave, well that's on you I'm afraid though his fear was probably related to the recession) but there are so many options available to you.

Personally, I'm hoping to study part time in September with a view to being a homecare assistant. Ya I'll be taking a FCUKING HUGE hit in my wages but as you well know happiness trumps $$$$ every single time. On top of that I've a mortgage to deal with.

There is always the idea of becoming a mature student while working a part time job. You can get assistance with rent, college fees etc.

Even if you wanted to take an even longer view of things, you could plan to be a mature student starting in September 2 years. Live in on the base. Go to sea. Dump the car. Save up every single penny you can so in September 2019 you get to hit the restart button on your life. Easy for me to give advice from the other side of a website I know.

On a personal note, I'd tell your parents how the NS is making you feel and explain that you have a plan going forward. They'll understand and support you especially if you can answer their obvious questions promptly that will be racing through their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ruinedcomic

You could always try and join the Royal Navy ....cut off age for some roles there is 36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I guess the Royal Navy is different in that you may very well be posted to a war zone and actually be involved in a conflict. I guess (presume) the irish Naval service is different in that it is more to do with the refugee crisis, peacetime missions, anti drug gang missions, and naval fisheries protection off the Irish coast, etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Man it's the Irish Navy not SEAL Team 3. I didn't expect to be going to war. I was thinking more of patrolling the Irish coastline and bothering fishermen by boarding their vessels to look at their log books.

I've always loved ships and and boats from a young age, my father was a ships officer in the Merchant Navy before he came home settled down and started his business and had a family.

That's what hurt me the most, he put a stop to my plans. He more than anyone should have understood my interest in going to sea. He didn't want that though, he wanted me to do my 4 year Degree and go back and work for him.

My own father stopped me leaving school at 15 after I'd managed to secure an electrical apprenticeship, he pointed out the value of finish......

**** it ,just burn his house down.

My own father stopped me leaving school at 15 after I'd managed to secure an electrical apprenticeship, he pointed out the value of finish......

**** it ,just burn his house down.

Different circumstances. I finished my mandatory education. Didn't know what I wanted to do so tried the HPSS down in UL, an Arts Degree.

It was a going nowhere course full of pretentious arseholes. No job after it. I picked a proper course the second time around.

See I always knew that as the eldest son I was going to have to go back and become involved in our successful family business (some would say that that's a very privileged position to be in), I just wanted to have a decade or so to myself beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

JOIN THE ARMY - IT'LL MAKE YOU A MAN!!!

Thanks, but I prefer women...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

My father stepped in and said no.
    No offense, but if you let your Dad have a say then the defense forces probably weren't for you. Maybe you dodged a bullet , if you forgive the poor pun.

My Father tried to get me back out of the army :D
    I left school and joined as soon as I was old enough. He was a career soldier himself and most men in our family were in the army. He went to see my C.O and explained I'd forged his permission. C,O was a wise man as well as an outstanding officer and he told my Father he'd give me my ticket but we all knew I'd be back in 6 months anyway. BTW, the lovely Christian Head brother in my school told me he hoped I got my head blown off in the Leb but that is a whole different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A family member is retiring soon with over 40 years service in the PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

A family member is retiring soon with over 40 years service in the PDF.

Tis a grand way to store text and graphical material alright!

• Advertisement

Tis a grand way to store text and graphical material alright!

I think they mean Paramilitary Defence Force, not the compressed file format. One of the organisations from the northern Troubles days probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think they mean Paramilitary Defence Force, not the compressed file format. One of the organisations from the northern Troubles days probably.

What you you think the army are like?...the Irish Swiss Guard protecting our TD's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Cut off for RDF is 35, so there's an option. Getting in is a pain in the hoop at present as they changed the recruiting format (it's the same as the PDF now).

However training and pretty much everything you would do there are nothing like what PDF recruits go through.

It might quench your thirst but don't be expecting to get automatically into the PDF from it, respect from PDF members or overseas.

You can't compare a part time essentially amateur force to a professional full time one.

In saying that you get out of it what you put into it. I joined the Fca back in 2001, and ended up being commissioned. From an army family though and knew the way things work before I went in which helped a lot.

Try the rdf and if you hate that then you probably would have hated doing it full time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

You have the option to join the Naval Service Reserve up until you are 35.

You have plenty of time. Just keep an eye on the website for recruitment advertisements.

http://www.military.ie/reserve/organisation/naval-service-reserve/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Also

yvaN ehT nioJ

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FluxCap22

Has anyone passed the latest psychometric testing from last years competitions? Failed the recent one due to a insufficient high score. Anyone have any idea when they will be recruiting again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Try the Military forum on here, they have a subforum for recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Lads, the misconception that you need family in the defence forces to get in is a complete myth from what I can see. Of course there's a legacy element, but that's on a familial basis, not an organisational one. I'm the first one of my family to serve anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Life at sea is generally considered to romantic and exciting.
    But if you think about it, the bit everyone talks about is when you get off the ship somewhere different to where you got on. And you might be there for only a few days.
    Get a normal job and travel. Life on a ship is boring.
    You're always at work, finish your 12 hour watch and then what? Yeah many modern ships have amenities like gyms etc but that gets old. If it has a bar your drinking is probably monitored and restricted, UK government owned ships will restrict you to the recommended maximum alcohol intake.
    You don't get to decide what to eat, you can't really go for a walk, you get sick of looking at the same 10 - 15 people. Bad weather gets boring because your now further restricted to what you can do. Forget about skyping family on the slow internet, or phoning them without paying through the nose for the satellite phone
    Suits some people, I thought it would suit me but no chance now. I value my freedom lol

BTW op your still not to old to do something similar to navy, small boats, short stints. Have a look at RYA yachtsmaster courses etc. Expensive but if you get the commercial endorsement you can skipper small ferries, work boats that kind of thing. I know someone who captains a millionaires yacht out in the med for 6 months of the year off the back of those certificates. In his 40's but total playboy to, its the uniform I reckon.

Advertisement