Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free backup software to external drive

Options
  • 16-06-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭

I want to create a backup of my work PC onto an external drive, but then be able to navigate the contents from my home PC without have to restore the backup (i.e. mount the backup as a separate drive).

I read Comodo does this (can't find the download though), but recommend any others?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

mrcheez wrote: »
    I want to create a backup of my work PC onto an external drive, but then be able to navigate the contents from my home PC without have to restore the backup (i.e. mount the backup as a separate drive).

I read Comodo does this (can't find the download though), but recommend any others?
    As in have an exact duplicate of the files, a and not an image or compressed format?

You could copy the folders you want across initially from the work laptop to the external drive and then use Microsoft synctoy to sync the external drive from the work laptop then on, using the echo function it will update the external drive to exactly match what is on the work laptop i.e new files on work laptop copied across, files folders deleted on work laptop deleted on the external drive when synctoy is run

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Macrium Reflect will do that. You can mount any backup file as a drive and navigate it just like a real physical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Lu Tze wrote: »
    As in have an exact duplicate of the files, a and not an image or compressed format?

You could copy the folders you want across initially from the work laptop to the external drive and then use Microsoft synctoy to sync the external drive from the work laptop then on, using the echo function it will update the external drive to exactly match what is on the work laptop i.e new files on work laptop copied across, files folders deleted on work laptop deleted on the external drive when synctoy is run

I don't really have time to go through every folder so faster to just do the lot. I have a 3TB drive and the data is only around 400GB.

I'll check out Macrium, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

SyncToy is the business - I use it all the time. It's simple and it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Macrium Reflect worked out perfectly thanks!

I take it I'm not missing any important functionality in the Free version?

All I need is:
    - Backup everything
    - Mount it so I can explore contents

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mrcheez wrote: »
    Macrium Reflect worked out perfectly thanks!

I take it I'm not missing any important functionality in the Free version?

All I need is:
    - Backup everything
    - Mount it so I can explore contents
    Yes, the free version does all that. It doesn't support incremental backups though, only differential ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

SyncToy is the business - I use it all the time. It's simple and it works.

It's a nice tool, but it does have some issues where it can cause data corruption in some circumstances. At which point why not just use robocopy in a batch file using a scheduled task?

I've been using it for years! But I haven't directly checked every file for corruption - should I run some sort of check?

Is there specific circumstances where you have seen it cause corruption that I can look out for?

Edit: I use it for work backups so I might never open the files it copies but in 5 years time I might need to after a hard drive failure or some such! I use both cloud and local backups but both rely on synctoy!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've been using it for years! But I haven't directly checked every file for corruption - should I run some sort of check?

Is there specific circumstances where you have seen it cause corruption that I can look out for?

Edit: I use it for work backups so I might never open the files it copies but in 5 years time I might need to after a hard drive failure or some such! I use both cloud and local backups but both rely on synctoy!!

There were known issues with version 2 when used with a NAS (see this Netgear thread, for example). 2.1 is supposed to fix the issue but some people have still reported problems with it, and since Microsoft basically hasn't done anything with it since the release of 2.1 I would imagine it's functionally abandonware at this point.

Tbh, other than the gui I'm not aware of any reason to use it over robocopy, myself. And I say this as someone who used SyncToy to sync tools & files to my Swiss Army Pendrive in a previous job for years.

• Advertisement

My cloud backup runs Synctoy from the Task Scheduler in Windows 10 so I'd say that should be replaceable relatively easily! I'll look into it!

It's so handy for the usb backup though!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Anyone use this? Is it available for later versions of Win?

http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

Advertisement