Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering a sibling

Options
  • 16-06-2017 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I've already posted about my current situation with regards to housing/social welfare/seeking work. My situation is I was kicked out of my home by my mother due to an argument over her boyfriend, I have been reduced to couch-hopping between family, friends and my partner's houses. My younger brother (who is 17) is no longer cared for by my mother, but he still resides at her house against his wishes.

He wants to live with me, so I have started the process of applying for social housing. I am an optimistic person, but even I understand my chances of recieving a council house in the immediate future are very slim to none. This brings me to the hope of gaining accommodation through a RAS or HAP type housing scheme (similar to the former rent allowance scheme).

I would of course prefer to move in with my boyfriend as well as of course my brother who wishes to live with me.

My question is would I be able to apply for foster care allowance whilst looking after him as he is still a minor and would be under my care.

Also my boyfriend lives in a home which is unfit for purpose. His mother is an alcoholic and we both have agreed if possible we would take his younger brother (who is 11) to live with us with both his and his mother's consent. Would it also be possible to apply for foster care for him as he would also be a minor and under our care.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Your brother would have to be in care to be fostered and you can't foster unless you become a registered foster carer. That process can take a while and they would be unlikely to approve it for you to foster a 17 year old. The biggest thing about fostering is you have to be in a stable situation. You don't have anywhere to live so could not provide stability to a child. Going forward with the 11 year old. He would need to be in the care of the HSE, you and your boyfriend would have to have a stable home for at least a year with room for the child and go through the assessment process which can also take a year.

Advertisement