Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about wrong style brake discs

Options
  • 16-06-2017 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I recently purchased a Front & Rear discs for my car (2004 Audi A4), due to time contraints i've only gotten around to fitting them now.

I pulled off the wheel today and noticed that they are different styles.

My car has 'slip on' discs and the ones I purchased have an additional hole for a hex bit.

This is my first car, hence my first time doing discs, I have done the brake pads before.

Is it safe/okay to put the new discs on without the bolt or would the discs be a different 'fit'

I have waited too long and now I can't return them.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

How long are the hex bolts? If they don't protrude past the back side of the disc, then they may be there to break the disc free of the hub next time your changing them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Buckley710 wrote: »
    I recently purchased a Front & Rear discs for my car (2004 Audi A4), due to time contraints i've only gotten around to fitting them now.

I pulled off the wheel today and noticed that they are different styles.

My car has 'slip on' discs and the ones I purchased have an additional hole for a hex bit.

This is my first car, hence my first time doing discs, I have done the brake pads before.

Is it safe/okay to put the new discs on without the bolt or would the discs be a different 'fit'

I have waited too long and now I can't return them.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

If you've never worked on discs and they aren't identical to the ones on the car bring it to a mechanic to check. Brakes are one part of a car that you can't bodge, spend some money on a professional as it'll save you much more if you make a mistake.

Did you buy the discs online or a motor factors? If a motor factors and you haven't used them they might be able to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Hole wont make any difference as long as the diameter and depth are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Buckley710

cletus wrote: »
    How long are the hex bolts? If they don't protrude past the back side of the disc, then they may be there to break the disc free of the hub next time your changing them

Possibly, I can't tell you how long they are because the ones on the car are the ones without.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Provided the dizcs are correct fit size wise, you are ok.Audi for years sold cars without that fixing zcrew and changing a wheel could be a pain cause the disc was free to rotate once the wheel studs were out. For that reason they used to supply a plastic headless stud to insert while wheel was off. The fixing screw keeps everything togetger when wheel off but once wheel is bolted on, its no longer serving any safety function.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you've never worked on discs and they aren't identical to the ones on the car bring it to a mechanic to check. Brakes are one part of a car that you can't bodge, spend some money on a professional as it'll save you much more if you make a mistake.

Did you buy the discs online or a motor factors? If a motor factors and you haven't used them they might be able to change them.

Bought them off MicksGarage about 2 months back and plastic was taken off (not by me) so I highly doubt they'd take them back.

And I'm fairly confident that I know how to change discs on my car, I'm not an total beginner to brakes, I've rebuilt my front calipers and the car still brakes on a gold coin.

There is a rounded 22mm bolt on the back of the caliper that I'd say has never been replaced in the 13 years since the car left Ingolstadt on a transporter.

I just don't want to/have time to remove the disc and realize I have to put the old one back on.

As you said my safest bet is probably to head to the main dealer and ask the question tomorrow, I have to buy a few replacement 22mm's to replace the old ones there anyway. And I highly agree, brakes & suspension are the 2 areas I would never take a risk with.

My mechanic seems to sense whenever I need him and goes on holidays, I had an alternator reconditioned 2 months ago and it went again the day he left.

Hole wont make any difference as long as the diameter and depth are ok.

Thanks for your answer, the both look identical apart from the hole.

mickdw wrote: »
    Provided the dizcs are correct fit size wise, you are ok.Audi for years sold cars without that fixing zcrew and changing a wheel could be a pain cause the disc was free to rotate once the wheel studs were out. For that reason they used to supply a plastic headless stud to insert while wheel was off. The fixing screw keeps everything togetger when wheel off but once wheel is bolted on, its no longer serving any safety function.

That sounds very plausable to be honest, the discs came up with my Reg No. and appear identical in size so I'm guessing they are going to work. I'm selling the car in a few months and don't want to put next owner in a bad situation.

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement