Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Mortgage Lump Sum - when is the right time?

Options
  • 15-06-2017 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I have a mortgage question I'm looking for some advice on.

I have a lump sum of 6k that was earmarked for something, but isn't going to happen now. Obviously saving rates are non existent at the mo, so was thinking about dumping it into my mortgage.

Is it better to pay lump sums off your mortgage when the interest rates are low? I think our mortgage rate is 0.75% as we're on a tracker.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I have a lump sum of 6k that was earmarked for something, but isn't going to happen now. Obviously saving rates are non existent at the mo, so was thinking about dumping it into my mortgage.

Is it better to pay lump sums off your mortgage when the interest rates are low? I think our mortgage rate is 0.75% as we're on a tracker.

With a rate that low it's not really gonna save you a whole lot of money. It's probably not far off what you'd get in a savings account. Why not buy some AIB shares!!! :)

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

Minimum buy of 10k for those shares. I don't know enough about it to get involved in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Its hard to say since your interest rate is so low it won't make much of a difference I take it your mortgage is your only debt you don't have car loan/credit card etc which would be higher rate

Also would depend on your ability to save and earnings. Only you know the answer. If you dont see yourself looking for a personal loan in the near future pay it towards mortgage now IMO.

No other loans, or loans on the horizon (I always buy older cheap cars), and I have some savings outside this.

OK, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Look into investing in a fund. Most financial companies have one. I have one that will eventually be a children's college fund. Giving me 6/7 % a year so far. Or start up a pension. Your mortgage rate is too low to even think about lumping into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+ 1 your Tracker mortgage is the cheapest money you will ever borrow so you should be able to invest somewhere else and get a better rate of return

6/7%? wow. Not bad.
    Did you get it through a bank or where?

Advertisement