Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java OutOfMemoryError

Options
  • 15-06-2017 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help me out here, not sure if my code is causing this or just not having a particularly hi-spec machine.

I'm trying to iterate over a month's worth of files in a directory, there's likely 4300+ files for any given month and each file could have between 1-5000 records. The idea is to split each record of each file into a string array and add to a list of string arrays for further processing elsewhere.

This is the error I get...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
    at java.lang.String.split(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.String.split(Unknown Source)
    at processedCdr.ProcessedCdrFiles.processedFileCdr(ProcessedCdrFiles.java:42)
    at processedCdr.ProcessedCdrFiles.processedFiles(ProcessedCdrFiles.java:27)
    at processedCdr.ProcessedTest.main(ProcessedTest.java:15)

My PC has 4GB DDR3L 1600.

My code is as follows...

[PHP]
    // Get files from directory and pass them to FileCdr method
    public List<String[]> processedFiles(String date) throws FileNotFoundException {

File dir = new File(processedDir);
    File[] directoryListing = dir.listFiles();

if (directoryListing != null) {
    for (File child : directoryListing) {
    if(child.getName().contains(date)){
    processedFileCdr(child);
    fileCount++;
    }
    }
    }
    return cdrArray;
    }

// iterate over file and add records to cdrArray list
    public void processedFileCdr(File CDR) throws FileNotFoundException{

Scanner file = new Scanner(new FileReader(CDR));

while (file.hasNextLine()) {
    String[] line = file.nextLine().split(",");
    if(line.length > 2){
    cdrArray.add(line);
    }
    }
    file.close();
    }

[/PHP]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭lynchie

Increase the heap size using -Xmx. Default is probably not big enough for the data you are keeping in memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Worth logging how many files you're iterated through before you hit the error. Will help you determine the max heap size you'll likely need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Gave that a try, upped it to 3GB and no change at all, stopping after 1390 files. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Would wrapping the FileReader in a BufferedReader help?

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/BufferedReader.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

If we estimate line size at 256 char, your String array will be around 5G.

While that might be a maximum it's a worthwhile sizing exercise when deciding Xmx

(4300 * 5000 * 256 ) / (1024 * 1024 * 1024) = 5.126 Gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If it's a 32bit jvm then be careful that you wont be able to increase the heap to much over 1400 MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's a 64 bit jvm. No luck so far, using BbuffeReader actually result is slightly less performance, upping the heap size makes no difference.

At this stage I'm at a loss. I guess running it in monthly batches is a no go.

Alternatively I can limit the fields added to the array, the files have 43 fields, would have preferred to add all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 laowai

I don't know what your data looks like but unless it is in csv or something, perhaps you could store/represent your data more efficiently than simply using a string?

Advertisement