Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Primary PME -Opinions

Options
  • 14-06-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm a male in my mid-20s considering doing the Primary PME in Hibernia. I've spoke to a couple of people I know who've done the course and they said they found the course very difficult. They felt support wasn't great when they were having difficulty with something and felt overwhelmed by the workload at times saying they were given assignments at short notice.

I just want to know if it'd be worth it considering the cost and commitment involved. Also, it looks like I might have to put my sporting interests on the back burner if I did the course. I play rugby but it seems like the evening webinars would mean I'd have to stop training. Does anyone know if there would be a way around that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

LMLFC92 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a male in my mid-20s considering doing the Primary PME in Hibernia. I've spoke to a couple of people I know who've done the course and they said they found the course very difficult. They felt support wasn't great when they were having difficulty with something and felt overwhelmed by the workload at times saying they were given assignments at short notice.

I just want to know if it'd be worth it considering the cost and commitment involved. Also, it looks like I might have to put my sporting interests on the back burner if I did the course. I play rugby but it seems like the evening webinars would mean I'd have to stop training. Does anyone know if there would be a way around that?

Hi LMLFC92, I just started in the April Cohort, and although the workload is intense, I havnt had to give up any of my commitments. I work 3 jobs, (one of which is teaching music in the evenings, go to the gym 4-5 times a week and play with a music group).
    The webinars can be listened to again after the initial date as they are all recorded, and seeing as there is 200+ in your class they do not take the roll. However, for the tutorials and onsites they do seem to take note of attendance, but we have only had 2 of tutorials and 3 onsites since starting the course.

All that being said, you do need to be RIDICULOUSLY organised and self motivated. They give you all the material on a Monday and you feel like you are playing catch up all week until it's all done.
    I found the deadlines are grand, we've had like 6 weeks notice for one and 3/4 weeks for another, so I personally wouldn't call that short notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Roisinnolan

LMLFC92 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hi,
    I am also on the PME in primary education with Hibernia April cohort. I'm 26 on the course and probably one of the youngest in my regional group. I have to say I am really enjoying it more than I thought. The sessions are time consuming and there are a lot of webinars for maybe 1 hour 2-3 hours a week or some weeks you could have more. We have had 2 saturdays in ucd, and about 3 in our regional centre and this week we had a full week of on sides for ped 1 and it was great fun. I was dreading the on sites as I just wanted online learning and I have to say there great days and I have made great friends already. We are now on the countdown for the Gaeltacht which should be very useful. In terms of assignments, we were given 2 months for our first assignment, now when we were given them we couldn't do them right away because we didn't have the sessions done but they gave us lots of support through assessment webinars, assessment forums with questions answered within 1-2 days. I don't know what people expect it's an online masters course they're not going to be holding our hand through it. Overall, it is such an enjoyable course and the content is brilliant. It is tough with the amount of sessions released each week and assignments to keep you going there is never a moment to not be doing something regarding the course. I would highly recommend it if teaching is something you want to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hi,
    I don't know what people expect it's an online masters course they're not going to be holding our hand through it.

I agree completely! I haven't done this course but I've given Irish grinds to a lot of people who are doing it. Always amazes me when they perplexed at how time consuming it is. Getting a masters, part time, while also working is going to be hard. But they've all gotten through it and gotten jobs from it. Most seem to really enjoy it. I don't see why you'd have to give up rugby for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi LMLFC92, I just started in the April Cohort, and although the workload is intense, I havnt had to give up any of my commitments. I work 3 jobs, (one of which is teaching music in the evenings, go to the gym 4-5 times a week and play with a music group).
    The webinars can be listened to again after the initial date as they are all recorded, and seeing as there is 200+ in your class they do not take the roll. However, for the tutorials and onsites they do seem to take note of attendance, but we have only had 2 of tutorials and 3 onsites since starting the course.

All that being said, you do need to be RIDICULOUSLY organised and self motivated. They give you all the material on a Monday and you feel like you are playing catch up all week until it's all done.
    I found the deadlines are grand, we've had like 6 weeks notice for one and 3/4 weeks for another, so I personally wouldn't call that short notice?

I presume the roll would be automatic if you log in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

If you know in your heart that primary teaching is what you want to do, I'd take any possible option of getting there. I was not hugely positive how Hibernia ran their course but it was a means to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MMB11

Just wondering the amount of time you spend on average a week studying ? I have been told that 20hours a week is supposed to be dedicated to the course however from speaking to past students they have said it is double that. It would be interesting to hear from a current student.

Also , how often do you have on sites in Dublin and in your region? I have been told is it every Saturday for regional on sites and then once a month for UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

MMB11 wrote: »
    I have been told that 20hours a week is supposed to be dedicated to the course however from speaking to past students they have said it is double that. It would be interesting to hear from a current student.
    UCD

Sorry to be digging up an old thread here. I was told 37 hours study a week is needed outside of classes, tutorials etc. How is someone supposed to hold down any kind of job alongside that kind of time commitment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

37hrs per week seems a lot. Considering some do hold down jobs.
    I'd imagine it would be weekends and evenings.
    Then again im sure there would be quiet times and busy times during the year so spacing yourself out and keeping a serious eye on your calendar is essential. I reckon if you have a good study routine from your degree then it'll stand to you.
    Most college groups get a Facebook WhatsApp group going so that might keep you tuned into what others are doing.

Hi all, I am currently a BCOMM undergrad and would love to do Primary afterwards! Just wondering, how hard is it to actually get into the course? Any tips on how to prepare for the interviews? I'm currently only 2nd year but would like to get straight into primary once I'm done the course. What time of the year do you apply? Any help is appreciated thanks guys

Advertisement