Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media

Options
  • 14-06-2017 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I seen Virgin Media are installing broadband in my town, they are connecting cables to houses in a terraced street near me. If i don't want cables on my house can they just attach them? I would have thought not but i heard someone saying that the sent what appeared to be just mail saying they would be attaching them unless otherwise instructed. I find this hard to believe though! Surely they don't have the right to enter my property without permission or enter and attach them if I'm not home to stop them!? thanks for any help!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Usually they'll need wayleave agreements before they can do any cabling.
    I've seen people move into houses where the previous owners refused cabling or had it removed, Tory build the network around these houses and generally refuse to retrofit services later down the road because of the costs involved.

Generally, they'll have a community liaison officer, far as I know these are now employed by FMI and aren't working directly for Virgin. That's the case in the town next to me which is being cabled for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

I am not a Virgin Media customer and never have been , but there is a Virgin Media connection box on the roof of my house and 3 other houses take their connection from it. Am I entitled to have this box removed and just allow the Virgin Media cable to run along my roofline ? The box is very unsightly to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

robinwing wrote: »
    I am not a Virgin Media customer and never have been , but there is a Virgin Media connection box on the roof of my house and 3 other houses take their connection from it. Am I entitled to have this box removed and just allow the Virgin Media cable to run along my roofline ? The box is very unsightly to me

You can ask them to remove but you will usually get a good discount from them for having it is usually a good route to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

There is also a Talk to VM forum where a Virgin rep may have a definitive answer for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the houses are older they may have a wayleave agreement in place from a former cable company that either had or intended to cable them up; these remain valid even with new owners. Most older areas getting cabled up now are areas that already had cable in the past rather than full new rollouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dundrum23

I was a UPC and VM customer from January 2013 til March 2017, i.e. for 4 years.
    When i closed my account, the VM staff went up on a ladder on my house, without informing me of the day and time, yanked out whatever cables in order to disconnect me, leaving tacks all over my driveway, which i did not see as they were grey plastic and small nails which blended in with my concrete driveway. As a result, i got a car puncture and had to get this repaired.
    Their level of unprofessionalism is astounding.

I also don't want the cables or box on my house anymore. I want all Virgin Media (VM) cables and the box removed from my house within a week, i.e. by 26th April 2018. VM has no right or wayleave on my property to keep these cables and box there. In fact, it is a criminal offense to keep property on my property without my consent. They do not have my consent nor will you attain it. Failing VM removing these, I will have no choice but to have them disconnected within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

dundrum23 wrote: »
    I was a UPC and VM customer from January 2013 til March 2017, i.e. for 4 years.
    When i closed my account, the VM staff went up on a ladder on my house, without informing me of the day and time, yanked out whatever cables in order to disconnect me, leaving tacks all over my driveway, which i did not see as they were grey plastic and small nails which blended in with my concrete driveway. As a result, i got a car puncture and had to get this repaired.
    Their level of unprofessionalism is astounding.

I also don't want the cables or box on my house anymore. I want all Virgin Media (VM) cables and the box removed from my house within a week, i.e. by 26th April 2018. VM has no right or wayleave on my property to keep these cables and box there. In fact, it is a criminal offense to keep property on my property without my consent. They do not have my consent nor will you attain it. Failing VM removing these, I will have no choice but to have them disconnected within a week.

Thanks for letting us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dundrum23

You're welcome.
    By the way, I tried to contact VM several times via their website, but my queries failed to go through. It seems as if it's intentional on their side, given im not currently a customer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I take it you've confirmed there is no wayleave and you're okay with the backlash if it takes out a few of your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

In fact, it is a criminal offense to keep property on my property without my consent.

Can you link us to the legislative basis confirming this assertion?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This isn't the Talk To Virgin Media forum.

Additionally, they likely have a wayleave over the property which predates you ever owning it; which you will not be able to renegotiate. They will be able to reinstate cables if you damage them and expect prosecution for the costs.

Also, even without a wayleave it isn't a criminal offence of any description. Civil perhaps. Proceed with caution rather than the rather bullish nonsense you're doing now.

There is a legitimate angle to request that the tyre is replaced (puncture repairs are never that good) due to sloppy work by their contractors, though.

Advertisement