Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I'm looking at ordering an exercise bike on Argos and the specific product quotes a delivery time of 2-9 days
    But when i go to the checkout, it mentions delivery within 28 days
    Anyone know what thats about?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Argos.ie web site is offline (.co.uk is fine).

Update @ 12.30pm: working now - appeared to be an outage for some users, mobile site was OK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wildrover444

I see on the argos no chat thread that tassimo bosch coffee machine is on sale for 36 euro . I have the dolco gusto for the last year or so. Is the bosch any better. I fancy a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

I see on the argos no chat thread that tassimo bosch coffee machine is on sale for 36 euro . I have the dolco gusto for the last year or so. Is the bosch any better. I fancy a change.

I have a Tassimo machine for a number of years and use it every day. Cant fault it. Pods/discs can be purchased in various places - inc most bigger supermarkets and Amazon. I'd not sure if the range of coffee is as extensive as the other brands. I am occasionally tempted to purchase one of the other machines for "a change" too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

leex wrote: »
    I have a Tassimo machine for a number of years and use it every day. Cant fault it. Pods/discs can be purchased in various places - inc most bigger supermarkets and Amazon. I'd not sure if the range of coffee is as extensive as the other brands. I am occasionally tempted to purchase one of the other machines for "a change" too. :)

I'm thinking of getting an aeropres or French press.

Is the Tassimo a better option?

Different products. Tassimo = convenience but quality of coffee wouldnt be at same level as buying beans/coffee. You would not have same choice of coffee with Tassimo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Hi all,

Lowest price ever for Tassimo Vivy 2 pod machines at €36.29 :)

I spotted this bargain on Hotukdeals.

1) Tassimo by Bosch Vivy 2 Pod Coffee Machine - Cream
    2) Tassimo by Bosch Vivy Pod Coffee Machine - Grey
    3) Tassimo by Bosch Vivy 2 Pod Coffee Machine - Black

Happy shopping!

I had one of these tassimo machines with tonnes of free capsules - ending up having to throw the majority out as they expiry date was poor

and also felt it was a quite unnecessary way to make coffee with plastic and foil to dispose of

if any one considered as a gift I'd just suggest , its a good price but consider if the recipient really into the excess waste - e.g. my sister would go nuts if I gave her one

leex wrote: »
    Different products. Tassimo = convenience but quality of coffee wouldnt be at same level as buying beans/coffee. You would have same choice of coffee with Tassimo either.

Are the bosch pods better taste than gusto pods

I cant comment on that as I havent tried the Gusto pods.

Details of Tassimo range here: https://www.tassimo.com/ie/drinks

There is a barcode on the Tassimo capsules that the machine reads and this dictates the cup size. You can top this up as required also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Coffee pods are never going to be better than brewing your own if you're talking about quality. Pod machines are quicker and cleaner so if it's convenience you want then they're a decent option. I have a Lavazza Modo a Mio pod machine and I love it, ditched my Nespresso for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I have a Dolce Gusto and find it great, although I've tasted drinks from a Tassimo too and they're very comparable. The perk with Dolce is that you can get own brand pods if you wanted. Overall I find the Tassimo machine to be more complicated than the Dolce Gusto I have, with no reward for it. This seems to do a good job of explaining the differences.

I have a Dolce Gusto and find it great, although I've tasted drinks from a Tassimo too and they're very comparable. The perk with Dolce is that you can get own brand pods if you wanted. Overall I find the Tassimo machine to be more complicated than the Dolce Gusto I have, with no reward for it. This seems to do a good job of explaining the differences.

Thanks. Think il stick to dolce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm the op for the Tassimon Vivy bargain alert on the other Argos thread. :)

I don't have a Tassimio, but I'm on my second Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine and I really rate it. I wanted a coffee machine for cappuccinos and lattes and before buying my first dolce gusto a few years ago, I compared the machines in terms of the quality of the bi-phase drinks (i.e. ones which have both a milk pod and a coffee pod). Iirc many reviewers on the internet said that while the Tassimo has name brand pods like costa, cadburys, L'or etc., the milk pods for bi-phase drinks were significantly better for the Dolce gusto, so that swung it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Hi all,

Lowest price ever for Tassimo Vivy 2 pod machines at €36.29 :)

I spotted this bargain on Hotukdeals.

1) Tassimo by Bosch Vivy 2 Pod Coffee Machine - Cream
    2) Tassimo by Bosch Vivy Pod Coffee Machine - Grey
    3) Tassimo by Bosch Vivy 2 Pod Coffee Machine - Black

Happy shopping!

That is a serious bargain. These are around €120. Just picked one up, many thanks.

That is a serious bargain. These are around €120. Just picked one up, many thanks.

A good bargain yes, but these are usually £40 on Amazon (and currently price matching Argos at £30).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Taken from another thread. This may help some - If you are burning through any electrical appliances (earphones, kettles, kitchen gadgets), go to argos take out the product insurance ~€5, when the item goes bust, bring it back and they'll replace it. With the new item buy the product insurance again and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Taken from another thread. This may help some - If you are burning through any electrical appliances (earphones, kettles, kitchen gadgets), go to argos take out the product insurance ~€5, when the item goes bust, bring it back and they'll replace it. With the new item buy the product insurance again and repeat.
    How long does insurance last for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Patsy167 wrote: »

Sometimes the manufacturer will replace if you are infact burning though multiple of the same product. I had two sets of sennheiser earphones. Both developed a fault in one ear in less than a year. I contacted them and they sent me out a replacement set no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've tried, over the past couple of weeks to give Argos some money in return for some items (which I'm pretty sure is how shops work) but it's virtually impossible.

I tried to buy a dishwasher. They have 3 pages of them on their site, so quite straightforward I thought. Preferred to pickup from store. Tried every single one that could be collected, in four different stores, no luck.

Tried reserving a couple of them, not able to reserve. Then an exciting day came, it wasn't in stock, but I could order for collection! Filled in the phone number, and email, in return I got a lovely reservation email with no reservation details, and when I went to try again I could no longer order for collection.

Finally, I thought I'd just order one for delivery, so I picked a reasonably cheap one with the shortest delivery date, 7 to 14 days and the site wouldn't let me place an order.

So I went elsewhere.

tl;dr Argos is a pain in the hole.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

Soarer wrote: »
    Canon Pixma TS5150 for €48.19.

Must be a misprice as it’s £60 on .co.uk.

Mightn’t be groundbreaking, but might dig someone out of a hole for the next few weeks.

€120 in Currys (sold out!)
    €98 with HuntOffice.
    €80 with SoundStore.
    €80 with DID.
    €70 with Canon themselves.

Thanks op, reserved,Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Argos' systems down in Tallaght this morning... Can't honour reservations at the minute as they can't look them up. Unbelievable. They will have six weeks to fix it of course...

All I see with Argos Ireland is failure after failure. The staff on the ground are excellent, but it seems the business is not well managed. Who is even in charge of their Irish operations?

I still believe we will see them exit Ireland after Christmas blaming C-19 or Brexit as the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Argos' systems down in Tallaght this morning... Can't honour reservations at the minute as they can't look them up. Unbelievable. They will have six weeks to fix it of course...

Don't think they are closing as they have a reservation system for click and collect which allows them to remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Don't think they are closing as they have a reservation system for click and collect which allows them to remain open.

They will non-essential so likely closed. Probably home delivery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

JDxtra wrote: »
    All I see with Argos Ireland is failure after failure. The staff on the ground are excellent, but it seems the business is not well managed. Who is even in charge of their Irish operations?

I still believe we will see them exit Ireland after Christmas blaming C-19 or Brexit as the reason.

"Failure after failure" seems harsh. They've been in Ireland for 24 years. If they've been failing they're taking their time at it.

"the business is not well managed", genuinely curious, what are you measuring this by?

I probably agree with you last comment, but I suspect a lot of companies will use this as an excuse to exit Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

website is awful, theres a start

EmptyTree wrote: »
    "Failure after failure" seems harsh. They've been in Ireland for 24 years. If they've been failing they're taking their time at it.

"the business is not well managed", genuinely curious, what are you measuring this by?

It's only in the last few years that I see issues creeping in. I guess it's fallout from the sale of the business to Sainsburys who have no other operations in the Republic of Ireland.

Here’s an example. The new Nest Audio speaker - the Euro RRP for this is €99.99. Google Store will sell this directly including delivery for €98.36 (due to current VAT changes).

If you search the Argos.ie web site for “Nest Audio” you will be presented with 2 correct items with no thumbnail image and 2 unrelated items. The item is listed as €108.89, way above the expected price. No issues on the .co.uk web site, and in fact they have an offer (discount if you buy two) that is not even listed on the .ie web site.

So, in general…
    • The .ie web site has been left on their old system – the .co.uk one was refreshed a few years ago and is kept up to date
    • Occasional system issues - web site down, search down, navigation broken, reservations down etc.
    • Some items have no picture
    • During busy periods, site will be brought to its knees (no excuse for this)
    • No catalogue (good idea) - however web site needs to be solid and user friendly
    • Some stock issues – either no stock for items or item listed as “in stock” when in fact it’ll be a few days wait (might as well order online elsewhere)
    • No reservation system for next gen consoles.
    • Questionable pricing (in excess of the Euro RRP and the GBP to Euro conversion)
    • UK based support only.

I want them to continue operations here, and they are the perfect “Covid friendly” bricks and mortar retailer. However I'm not seeing the business getting the attention it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Doodah7 wrote: »
    They will non-essential so likely closed. Probably home delivery only.

They should be able to operate the click and collect service.
    Under level 5
    From Gov.ie “ any other retail outlet that operates an online or other remote system of ordering goods for purposes of collection at the retail outlet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- they said they're open for click-and-collect and home deliveries.
    Same for Smyths. Easons have managed to get themselves classified as essential this time- and aren't closing at all.

This certainly isn't like the first lockdown........

Advertisement