Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal Done Deal Scam

Options
  • 14-06-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Hey Gang,

firstly I've not been stung, I said no thanks straight off, but I'm wondering how this scam operates for the people attempting it.

Had a games console on donedeal, within about 30mins had full price offer
    but then received email re I had to send paypal request for full amount to them etc. that paypal protects buyer and seller ya da ya da.

Then to ship item via registered post protects buyer and seller ya da ya da.

So wheres the scam, I'm guessing they request the money back thru paypal which pulls it from my account then I'm out money + console.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

BobMc wrote: »
    Hey Gang,

firstly I've not been stung, I said no thanks straight off, but I'm wondering how this scam operates for the people attempting it.

Had a games console on donedeal, within about 30mins had full price offer
    but then received email re I had to send paypal request for full amount to them etc. that paypal protects buyer and seller ya da ya da.

Then to ship item via registered post protects buyer and seller ya da ya da.

So wheres the scam, I'm guessing they request the money back thru paypal which pulls it from my account then I'm out money + console.

Correct. It's the oldest scam in the book and the buyer always seems to get away with it.

Real scummy thing to do.

Only do sales via Bank Transfer or Cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yes basically thats it. They try it for all forms- cars, bikes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

callaway92 wrote: »
    Correct. It's the oldest scam in the book and the buyer always seems to get away with it.

Real scummy thing to do.

Only do sales via Bank Transfer or Cash.

I wouldn't consider doing sales through bank transfer, theres no protection for the buyer in that case.

PayPal won't give the money back if you have proof it's been signed for through registered post as far as I know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

How do you know it was a scam?

Seems that if it was, they'd leave out the registered post bit so they could claim never to have received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

If you provide a POD to paypal then they don't refund the buyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

But if you ship using registered post surely you are covered?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Other variations of the scam:
    • stolen paypal credentials/account
    • 'accidentally' overpaying and asking you to refund the overpayment
    • fake 'payment has been sent to your paypal account' notification

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Wondered about the address too, I'd have contact details etc. unless guards wouldn't be bothered following it up.

Anyhow, was suspect about the whole way the paypal was requested, I'm guessing its how its requested thru paypal that protects them more than the seller. A flaw they are expoliting in Paypal t&cs

Sorted anyhow, found a cash buyer

No scam there IMO. If you received payment and a delivery address then used registered post thus receiving proof of delivery then there is no grounds for the buyer to request money back for non receipt of goods

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If you ship it with registered post to the address from the PayPal account, you are covered by Sellers Protection Program as well.

When receiving paypal payments, always ship to the address from the account, nowhere else. Keep the proof of shipping and proof of delivery safe in case the dispute is opened.

https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

• Advertisement

NATLOR wrote: »
    No scam there IMO. If you received payment and a delivery address then used registered post thus receiving proof of delivery then there is no grounds for the buyer to request money back for non receipt of goods

They can request the money back on the grounds of 'Significantly not as described'. They are asked to send the items back and as soon as the item is received, the buyer will be refunded.

PayPal does not check if what they have sent back is actually what they have received... So you might receive a brick instead of your PS4; the money taken away from your accound and not being able to claim through Sellers protection program (because they don't cover SNAD disputes).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I was stung years ago for an iPad, like a fool.

What happened was, had the iPad on Done Deal. Got an offer for above asking price, to cover post to Nigeria (how f'n stupid was I to fall for this, I still kick myself).

So, buyer gives me his email address to request payment for the item. I then received an email from who I thought was paypal, basically saying that I had to provide them with a tracking code to prove the item was shipped, before they would lodge the funds to my account. The email looked very legit.

So, i had the iPad posted, and provided the tracking code too via the false Paypal email i received, and that was the scam.

An Post were entirely useless in helping me. I realised the scam pretty quick, but they wouldn't give me back the package, unless i had a warrant from the Gardai. It was only over the counter, hadn't moved even yet!

Lo and behold, all i had was the tracking code, watching my iPad landing in feckin' Nigeria.

Oh, and Done Deal were useless too, when I reported it to them. I've never used it again after this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Paypal isnt secure so?

grogi wrote: »
    They can request the money back on the grounds of 'Significantly not as described'. They are asked to send the items back and as soon as the item is received, the buyer will be refunded.

PayPal does not check if what they have sent back is actually what they have received... So you might receive a brick instead of your PS4; the money taken away from your accound and not being able to claim through Sellers protection program (because they don't cover SNAD disputes).

I'm aware that can happen but the OP was calling scam without any deal being done and no grounds to back it up

NATLOR wrote: »
    I'm aware that can happen but the OP was calling scam without any deal being done and no grounds to back it up
    Umm, perhaps, but I was pretty certain is was dodgy, so stopped it before it got any wind up.

and from the responses, it was only going to escalate once shipped etc.

Word of warning for others anyhow to be wary

Heres the speel I got

Thanks for the reply, I'm paying you the ­asking price and I will like to complete ­this transaction through PayPal as PayPal protect both buyer and seller. If you do not have a PayPal account, simply login ­to www.paypal.ie; and set up your own PayPal account, once you have successfully set up your PayPal account, you will use the request money ­button located at the top of your PayPal ­account home page to request money from my PayPal account which is xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com­ once i receive your money request notice from PayPal, I will transfer the money to your PayPal account, thereafter PayPal ­will automatically send a payment confirmation notice the moment i transfer funds ­to your account then you will be able to ­withdraw the money from your PayPal account to your bank account.

I'm buying this Xbox One for my grandson as a graduation ceremony gift, you will post it to him through register mail in any Local post office, I will be responsible for the postage cost. I look forward to receive your money request through ­PayPal soon so that I can deposit funds to your account.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Heres the speel I got

Thanks for the reply, I'm paying you the ­asking price and I will like to complete ­this transaction through PayPal as PayPal protect both buyer and seller. If you do not have a PayPal account, simply login ­to www.paypal.ie; and set up your own PayPal account, once you have successfully set up your PayPal account, you will use the request money ­button located at the top of your PayPal ­account home page to request money from my PayPal account which is xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com­ once i receive your money request notice from PayPal, I will transfer the money to your PayPal account, thereafter PayPal ­will automatically send a payment confirmation notice the moment i transfer funds ­to your account then you will be able to ­withdraw the money from your PayPal account to your bank account.

I'm buying this Xbox One for my grandson as a graduation ceremony gift, you will post it to him through register mail in any Local post office, I will be responsible for the postage cost. I look forward to receive your money request through ­PayPal soon so that I can deposit funds to your account.

Yeah you are posting ti to the grandson so not the registered address to paypal so stinks of some form of scam.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Yeah you are posting ti to the grandson so not the registered address to paypal so stinks of some form of scam.

Smells of stolen paypal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Heres the speel I got

i would worry about anybody who reads that and doesnt think scam immediately.

Heres the speel I got

Thanks for the reply, I'm paying you the ­asking price and I will like to complete ­this transaction through PayPal as PayPal protect both buyer and seller. /.../

Scam like hell. You might not end up being the victim, but IT IS SCAM.

If they show the rifle in the first scene, it will fire up... Nobody genuine will make an effort to write such a long piece full of crap.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Scam like hell. You might not end up being the victim, but IT IS SCAM.

If they show the rifle in the first scene, it will fire up... Nobody genuine will make an effort to write such a long piece full of crap.

so its the scammers equivalent of Chekhovs gun? never thought of it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

jonnycivic wrote: »

Correct, If you do not post to the Pay Pal address then pay pal does not cover you anymore.

You must only ship to the registered pay pal address

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Paypal are next to useless, my account was hacked, a payment for ?400/?600 was made into my account and then transfer to a UK bank account. So I wasn't out of money but I informed them of what happened. They then refunded ?600 into my account, I email them again to inform them that they had made a mistake. The money sat in my account for months, then about 5 months later I spent it, a few weeks later I got an email to say that I never completed a transaction for the original ?400 so they took it from my account.
    It was obviously a scam from the start and money came from a hacked account and sent to another hacked account (mine), but I'd bet money that they never followed up on whos the UK account was.

ForestFire wrote: »
    Correct, If you do not post to the Pay Pal address then pay pal does not cover you anymore.

You must only ship to the registered pay pal address

even if you do ship to the paypal address the protection for sellers is pathetic.

Heres the speel I got

That puts a different light on things, you were obviously right to give him a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

I got a message from Done Deal - the lad who was purchasing an item I had up for sale - said DoneDeal will pay me for the item and that he lost his phone and had no access to Paypal as he also forget his password —clearly I didn't click on the link -

Question - do people pay for items using DoneDeal ??

I prefer Revolute or Paypal ..

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Old thread, and a fairly long-running type of scam as well.

Two major red flags:

• The sort of language used in the subject line of your second screenshot - i.e. "Wishing you prosperity in selling your merchandise!". Doesn't sound like anything that would be genuinely said by any Irish operation such as DoneDeal. Sounds more like something that somebody in certain other counties would come up with via a thesaurus to try make themselves sound businesslike or formal.
    • The URL of the link that they want you to click - donedeal-ie.paying-online.info Common scam tactics to use a URL that looks a bit like the genuine one, but which is instead a variation which will lead to a cloned page. Note how there's a hyphen between donedeal and ie, instead of a dot, before it even gets to all that paying-online.info rubbish.

Either ignore, or string him along via other messages for the sheer fun of it, but don't click on the link and enter any sort of details anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply and advice - I never click on links and this one I was very suspicious of. I did keep in message conversation with the "buyer" who also provided me with an Irish address and Eircode - how valid that is I am not sure or am I taking any chances - I have tried to report this to Donegal and ended up with the BOT - couldn't email them directly or chat with a human .. I generally use Adverts and I have found that a little more "safe" as you can check some background on people - and their profile positives and/or negatives.

I will wait and see what Done Deal come up in a reply to BOT link - but I will just disconnect from the "buyer" and leave it at that

Regards

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Ive always found Donedeal very proactive to this type of stuff, even when I contacted them in the past, iver email if I remember.

But here's a buyer only a few weeks ago they shut down themselves, without any input from me, at least (could have been reported by other users in other ads)

• Advertisement
Advertisement