Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplug/powerline adapter dual port with single port

Options
  • 14-06-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hey,

I have a 2 sets of single port powerline adapters. 2 with AC sockets build in and 2 without. The problem is I dont have enough socket space by my router to support anymore without using an ugly multi plug extension lead and because of the powerline adapter i cant use one of the plugs unless i unplug the router or one of the powerline adapters without the AC socket.

i noticed dual port powerline adapters on sale. So i am hoping to remove the 2 powerline adapters by the router and replace it with a dual port powerline adapter. This dual powerline adapter by the router will be supplying Ethernet to 2 single port powerline adapters elsewhere in my house. Is it even possible to sync a dual port to 2 single port adapters?
    Also do they have to be the same make & model?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I don't understand why you think you need more than one powerline adapter at your router. In normal use you have one close to the router and the remaining distributed throughout the house where you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

degsie wrote: »
    I don't understand why you think you need more than one powerline adapter at your router. In normal use you have one close to the router and the remaining distributed throughout the house where you need them.

dont these work in pairs? Have i been using these wrong all along?

if you are supplying internet to more than 2 devices else where in the house you would need 2 homeplugs by the router?

grimeire wrote: »
    dont these work in pairs?

if you are supplying internet to more than 2 devices else where in the house you would need 2 homeplugs by the router

Eh no....

homeplug-scenario.jpg

If you want to connect more than one ethernet device in a particular room, then use a switch or an access point with ethernet ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

degsie wrote: »
    Eh no....

Ok i guess i was using these wrong for the past 5 years. I always wondered why they were even sold in single units. They kinda act as switchs so i guess.

Back to the original question if i connect the 2 ports on a dual port 1Gb adapter into a router will that mean if i am using 2 single port adapters elsewhere i will get 1Gb connection speed to each if they support that speed of course.

Also do they have to be the same make & model?

You will get nowhere near the 'theoretical' speed with any of these homeplugs as it depends heavily on the quality of your home wiring and are subject to interference of other devices connected to your circuit.

The dual-port homeplug would be wasted if connecting to your router, these are best used at a 'remote' location where you want to connect two ethernet devices.

All the homeplug devices should conform to the homeplug standard and thus be compatible, but YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1Gb Homeplugs will give you about 100-180Mb in decent conditions.

Homeplugs = Hubs
    Port on them = Switches

The homeplug traffic is all common medium, half duplex. So it only goes one direction at a time, and from one plug to all other plugs.

So if you have 1 single port HP at the router
    And four 2x port HPs around the house

You have 8GB of full duplex egress and 150Mb of that can be used half duplex.

BTW, if you buy two 300s, two 600s and two 1GB then the whole network will fall back to 300Mb(so really 50Mb).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ED E wrote: »
    BTW, if you buy two 300s, two 600s and two 1GB then the whole network will fall back to 300Mb(so really 50Mb).
    Also worth noting is the technology. Some homeplugs will not not see each other if the tech is different enough.

Although they work side by side (all plugged in, they didn't make the other one not work), the Homeplug 1.0 plugs didn't see my AV2 plugs, and vice versa.

Also, use plugs with pass-through technology if you're placing it nearby multiple other devices. For example, in my sitting room I had the TV, skybox, android box, speaker receiver, etc. Found putting a homeplug with pass-through technology meant better speeds, which translated into better quality when streaming from my Plex server.

RESULTS DEPENDS ON ELECTRICS, and thus if you have daisy chained a few sockets, try to use the "first" socket with a pass-though homeplug for best results.

Advertisement