Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLAN implementation on small two-story office

Options
  • 14-06-2017 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

First of all, hi all :)

I need some advice to implement WLAN in a two-story small office that has 15 wired laptops.
    Laptops are not going to use Wireless unless they need to go into a meeting.

Since I've got some ideas and helped buy some computers on the place, they thought I might help on this one as well.

Main idea would be to have a dedicated Wireless network with separate SSIDs, let's say one for guests and the other if a meeting is required on the building and they require to access the coporate network/files.

I have some models in mind like:

Asus RT-N66U
    TP-Link AC1750 - Archer C7
    Netgear D6400 AC1600
    Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-PRO
    Cisco Small Business WAP561

But I'm not sure at all if those models would help me somehow.
    As far as I'm concerned I have a RV082+Gigabyte 24 Port switch
    -WLAN would be connected to the TPLINK LAN Switch
    -Need bandwidth throttling/limitation for Guest Network but not essential.

Looking for suggestions. And if possible, suggestions on where to buy the appliances since I'm not familiar with Dublin's IT shop locations. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ordering from Amazon is a clear choice, they're VAT registered here and generally a good third cheaper.

Ubiquiti would jump to mind, no point going for Meraki with a sub. The main question is how you plan to do auth, does the office have an AD already? If so get something that'll be able to offload .11 Ent auth to that. If not, any home unit will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭chonix

ED E wrote: »
    ... how you plan to do auth, does the office have an AD already? If so get something that'll be able to offload .11 Ent auth to that. If not, any home unit will do.
    Thanks mate!
    Yep, they have AD. If not, I can mount a LDAP on a Linux server i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

The Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-PRO will allow you manage bandwidth restrictions on a guest network and policy profiles on all SSIDs.
    If you have multiple access points, they will all be managed centrally.

The management interface is a java app you can install on a PC, though I have one running on debian on one of the original 7" Asus EEE PC 701's.
    No hackery involved there either - simply download the linux .deb or whatever and install. The EEEPC is managing 8 access points without problems for the last year. You can purchase a preinstalled device with the management software on it called the cloud key, but I was really pleased to be able to repurpose the old netbook and give it a good retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

http://www.open-mesh.com/products/access-points.html

I use the Om5P-AC (Dual Band) for enterprise installations and they are wonderful to work with.

Up to 4 SSID's (Guest / Private etc.) - Bandwdth thtottling / whitelist / blacklist / splash screen / payment options etc.... - Have installed them in multiple places and they just work.

All cloud based, too.

-Edit- Just to add, the guest network has the option of network / client isolation. So, the private network would be on the same network as your corporate (and can pull IP's from your Network DHCP controller) so you'll still be able to pull files / login to AD domain etc. (I have put this into practice, works fine... drives still map etc.)

Advertisement