Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Lithium battery be brought on a plane?

Options
  • 14-06-2017 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the likes of Ryanair and Aer Lingus will allow a motorbike lithium battery on in your hand luggage?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think LiPo are treated the same as Li ion.

http://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/Guide_to_Dangerous_Goods.pdf

"Spare lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries for portable electronic devices (including medical devices) with a Wh rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh for consumer electronic devices. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits."

So if the limit is 160 Wh, at 12V your maximum capacity would need to be below 13.33 Ah, or maybe double that if they allow one large battery to be treated as "Maximum of two spare batteries".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Lumen wrote: »
    I think LiPo are treated the same as Li ion.

http://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/Guide_to_Dangerous_Goods.pdf

"Spare lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries for portable electronic devices (including medical devices) with a Wh rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh for consumer electronic devices. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits."

So if the limit is 160 Wh, at 12V your maximum capacity would need to be below 13.33 Ah, or maybe double that if they allow one large battery to be treated as "Maximum of two spare batteries".

So for a dumbass like me,does that mean a person can take a JMT HJTZ10S lithium battery on a plane?
    Its for the BMW.

Reason I ask is that I can get one in the UK for nearly half the price compared to here,and a family member can bring it over here on the plane to me at the weekend.:)

I think it's 4AH so since 12x4 = 48Wh and 48 is less than 160 you might be OK, assuming the capacity is clearly marked.

But I think you're risking it unless the airline says you definitely can. Can't you just buy it online?

Source for the 4AH claim: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JMT-Lithium-ion-battery-HJTZ10S-FP-replaces-YTZ10S-and-TTZ10S-/391403030052

Its from a bike shop close to a family members home in the UK and its going for allmost half the price it is here in Ireland from a well known bike shop.My family member alerted me to it and said he could bring it over with him at the weekend.

Ryanair are very vague about it....this if from their website.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance/Can-I-carry-Lithium-ion-batteries-in-the-aircraft-cabin

You can carry a maximum of two spare lithium ion batteries in carry-on baggage and these must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. Battery terminals must be either recessed or packaged so as to prevent contact with metal objects including terminals of other batteries.

Oh and yeah it says on the battery and the box that its a 12v/48wh battery.

So you rekon it will be allowed on the flight in cabin luggage?

• Advertisement

I'd expect Aer Lingus and Ryanair to be enforcing the same rules, they don't make them up themselves. You can see the same wording as Ryanair "These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits" but with less detail.

edit: and I'm sure I read somewhere that they have to be in the cabin rather than the hold. Presumably that's so the fire can be put out more easily!

I'd expect Aer Lingus and Ryanair to be enforcing the same rules, they don't make them up themselves. You can see the same wording as Ryanair "These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits" but with less detail.

edit: and I'm sure I read somewhere that they have to be in the cabin rather than the hold. Presumably that's so the fire can be put out more easily!

Well the battery would be go on the plane with my family member is his cabin bag.
    Battery would be in its cardboard box with recepit as proof of purchase too.

So based on that Aer Lingus info,you rekon 12v/46Wh will be allowed then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well the battery would be go on the plane with my family member is his cabin bag.
    Battery would be in its cardboard box with recepit as proof of purchase too.

So based on that Aer Lingus info,you rekon 12v/46Wh will be allowed then?

A bike battery isn't used in a portable electronic device. They are taking about a spare laptop battery or a power bank not a bike battery. It's allowed by the rating but not the usage.

So based on that Aer Lingus info, you rekon 12v/46Wh will be allowed then?
    I think it might be, but you'd be relying on airport staff being able to read the label (assuming it's labelled), do basic maths and understand watts, amps and volts.

I think it might be, but you'd be relying on airport staff being able to read the label (assuming it's labelled), do basic maths and understand watts, amps and volts.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Appreciate it.
    Might take a chance and ask him to bring it over with him so.:)

Last time I was in the UK,I was allowed through with race rearsets and a race cylinder head in my cabin bag.Heavy bugger of a cabin bag too.:pac:

They really went through the cylinder head in great detail,scanned it twice too.Had to explain to them what it was for..But they let me pass through with it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm assuming this is a lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO4). Not the same thing at all as a lithium ion battery or a lithium polymer battery, and far far safer.
    But the chances of airline staff or security knowing anything about battery chemistry is practically nil.
    I was going to suggest getting it sent to Parcel Motel or something, but they may not accept it either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I almost had a backup battery took off me in Russian when I returned via a flight. They mis read the capacity of it. It was large. I don't think Lithium based batteries are allowed in the hold

Join Ireland Weather Network

thecivvie wrote: »
    I almost had a backup battery took off me in Russian when I returned via a flight. They mis read the capacity of it. It was large. I don't think Lithium based batteries are allowed in the hold

Yeah thay aint allowed on as cargo or in the hold.

This battery would not going in the hold,its going on as Cabin baggage.

Spec of JMT Battery. and yes its a LiFePO4

Voltage: 12 Volts
    Capacity: 4 Ah (10 h)
    Format: Lithium - Maintenance-free
    Energy Performance: 48 Wh
    Cold start current: 240 A
    Cold start current measurement method: SAE
    Length: 150 mm
    Width: 87 mm
    Height: 93
    Weight ready: 0,9 kg
    Connector Type: front and top
    Positive Pole: Left Front
    Negative: Right Front
    Gas outlet: Without

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nothing to do with the airline and everything to do with the airport and their own security staff.

NB: technically if you are asked to check your bag due to full overhead bins you should refuse. Its fine accompanied but shouldn't be in the hold.

Ive just emailed the PDFs from Ryanair and Aer Lingus over to my family member in England.

My thinking is that if he prints both of these out and shows them to the security staff at the screening area,then he can show that the battery is permitted,with regards to the Wh

Just off the phone to a chap called Neil in Aer Lingus.

Told him the situation,and that its a Lithium motorbike battery,for a motorbike.
    He said that its fine to bring the battery onboard as its below the permitted allowance of 160Wh.
    His suggestion was also to print off the PDF form and get my family member to present it to security staff if they take issue with the Lithium Battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If its of any use, i buy batteries from a ebay seller in the uk, but got a message lately saying that they can no longer post them to me ...just my tuppence..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If its of any use, i buy batteries from a ebay seller in the uk, but got a message lately saying that they can no longer post them to me ...just my tuppence..

They can't travel in the hold of aircraft due to the known fire risk, which is why the US plan to ban laptops from the cabin is a serious safety risk for a low terrorist risk.

Ironically you can use the AnPost UK virtual address as that comes by boat while the mail comes by aircraft.

Right lads,a good story for you all.

Popped out to AKB Distributors/Franklin Motorcycles in Swords at lunchtime to get a Battery Tender waterproof 800ma Lithium charger.

Keith out there not only matched the UK/Ebay prices but he bet them by a fiver.

Nice to get the product local,there and then and also be cheaper than Ebay.

Well happy with that.:)

• Advertisement

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get to hear the end of the story about the mother****ing battery on the mother****ing plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get to hear the end of the story about the mother****ing battery on the mother****ing plane.

..and mother****ing Ryanair..............:D

Just to clarify my situation, i always got them sent to Parcel motel as they refused outright to post them to the home address....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How can a 4Ah battery replace an original which is probably 14Ah, though?

I know LiFePO4 has an almost constant voltage as it discharges (so you can actually use the capacity - a lead acid battery can still have a fair amount of charge in it but yet be unable to turn the engine over), but still, it's a big difference in the rated capacity.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Can we not buy another battery, convince some naive schmuck and see if it can be flown as hand luggage!!??
    This is the biggest mother****ing let down since the end of Mad Men.

We could probably get a courier to do it.

Ba-dum-tish.

Went to the Uk,collected JMT Lithium battery and brought it back on the plane with me in my cabin bag.

It showed up on the scanner and the staff asked me what it was,they had a look at it and said no problem have a nice flight.

So YES you can bring a Lithium bike battery onto a plane with you.

Advertisement