Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having a home birth - we can chat here!

Options
  • 13-06-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I'm 35, planning a home birth. I live in Dublin North.

At the moment I am confused around GP care - I am registered with Rotunda and they don;t do Domino scheme so I decided to use savings and have full care with my Mid Wife instead of having to visit the hospital for apps. But when it comes to GP care I'm not sure what the story is - or whether I need to visit her at all?

Does anyone else know?

Also - how are you all feeling about the home birth? I am so excited and feeling so confident. I am usually afraid to say that to people as I find a bit of negativity from other people (some are great though, especially my family!) Are family/friends reacting well to your decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Midwife

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your homebirth!  The GP care is free but some GPs say their insurance doesn't cover them to care for homebirth mums.  Your midwife will have some recommendations for you if that becomes an issue.  A lot of women just see their midwives unless something comes up in the pregnancy that would warrant seeing the GP.  Get along to a homebirth meeting if you can - it's a great way to connect with other likeminded parents and  not have to explain yourself or listen to the often very strong opinions about homebirth and why you shouldn't have one.    Have a look for homebirthers and hopefuls group on FB too.  I was very selective about who I told  - especially when you want to keep that excitement and positivity.  People really do mean well but many aren't well informed when it comes to the research around homebirth and why it's considered a safe option for the majority of healthy mums and babies.

Best of luck with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭littlebsci

hcass wrote: »
    Hi all - I'm 35, planning a home birth. I live in Dublin North.

At the moment I am confused around GP care - I am registered with Rotunda and they don;t do Domino scheme so I decided to use savings and have full care with my Mid Wife instead of having to visit the hospital for apps. But when it comes to GP care I'm not sure what the story is - or whether I need to visit her at all?

Does anyone else know?

Also - how are you all feeling about the home birth? I am so excited and feeling so confident. I am usually afraid to say that to people as I find a bit of negativity from other people (some are great though, especially my family!) Are family/friends reacting well to your decision?

Hi hcass, I'm in south Dublin planning a home birth too.

I'm going with full midwifery​ led care but still going to a hospital for some appointments - booking, dating scan, anatomy scan and I'll be having the anti-D prophylaxis around 28 weeks. Not part of their Domino scheme though. My midwife has said she'll get me to go to my GP for routine bloods around the 30 week mark, haven't​ asked for any details on this yet but I'm sure I'm be talking to her about it soon enough. Other than that and to get my whooping cough vaccine I'll have no need to go to my GP but I'm still signed up to the combined care scheme with them.

I'm looking forward to a home birth and very hopeful that it will be able to happen as it is exactly what I want. At first I wasn't sure about telling people who asked where I was going that I was planning one but then I said to hell with it, let them judge! The worst reaction I got was possibly from a colleague/friend who has previously given birth as she guffawed the notion of not having the option of an epidural and then kind of ganged up on me with a colleague to have a good laugh at my expense. To be completely honest though I'm a tough cookie so I called her out on it and told her I'd have expected ​better from her!

My mother is anxious about it but I think she'd be anxious no matter where I was planning on having the baby. I'll always be her daughter first and foremost no matter what do she'll always worry! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Meubles

Hi, count me in! I'm also planning a home birth my DD is 23rd August, I'm Irish but live in Amsterdam. Luckily it is very supported here, I see my midwife for appointments and visited a different centre for scans. Planning to rent a birth pool and have been doing hypnobirthing (but I keep falling asleep :P). The videos online of hypnobirthing are SO inspiring, I love the peace and strength the women show and tell myself there is no reason our birth can’t be like that. We’ve a full day class in 2 weeks to get more info so I’m excited to see how that goes! We told family and surprisingly the Dutch side were quite shocked and didn’t say much. Except my mother in law who had a wonderful speedy birth and thinks it’s a great idea. My own mother actually laughed at me at the weekend when I was explaining hypnobirthing. It really upset me as I hoped she would support us but like you said Littlebsci – she probably just see’s me as her little girl still! I’ve decided now that I will only talk to positive people about it as I want to maintain my enthusiasm.

The Dutch health care system sends out a ‘birth pack’ to all expectant mothers whether you are planning a home birth or not. Mine arrived last week and it took me several minutes to figure out what the maternity pads were!! There also is a nurse ‘kraamzorg’ who comes for the first 5 days for 8 hours a day to help with learning how to care for the baby and apparently fend off unwanted visitors :p

There’s a great podcast called  'Doing it at home: Our home birth podcast'  which interviews people and goes over basics for what you need, I found it really useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭littlebsci

Exactly Meubles, there's no point talking to people about it who are going to try make you feel bad etc. I haven't mentioned hypnobirthing to my Mam yet....I can just imagine her reaction but am not in the slightest bit worried about it either!

Thanks for the podcast tip, I may have a listen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Curiousity....Rotunda mum myself here twice over.....do the Rotunda not do Domino because you're having a home birth?I certainly know mothers in the Rotunda who have had the Domino scheme in the last two years.

Oh for what it's worth....I had no epidural for either birth.And it was nobody's business but mine :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

shesty wrote: »
    Curiousity....Rotunda mum myself here twice over.....do the Rotunda not do Domino because you're having a home birth?I certainly know mothers in the Rotunda who have had the Domino scheme in the last two years.

Oh for what it's worth....I had no epidural for either birth.And it was nobody's business but mine :-)

Hi Shesty - Rotunda do Domino scheme but you have to be in the catchment area and it doesn't go as far as where I live (Swords). So I am registered with Rotunda and got my scans there and if anything goes wrong on the day or just if I feel like I want to opt out, I will end up in the Rotunda. I'm sure lots of people use the domino scheme -I sure would have if I was in the catchment area.

On another note - if you don;t mind me asking - how were the Rotunda with your request not to have an epidural? Did you find they were supportive? I'd like to know from as many mams as possible so I can be prepared if I do end up giving birth there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

hcass,

the Rotunda certainly does Midwife clinics in Swords too. I had my daughter 3 months ago in the Rotunda, was a C-Section because she was breech. I went for the combined care where I have one appointment at the GP, the next one in the Midwife clinic, and so on. They have amazing midwives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Hi Shesty - Rotunda do Domino scheme but you have to be in the catchment area and it doesn't go as far as where I live (Swords). So I am registered with Rotunda and got my scans there and if anything goes wrong on the day or just if I feel like I want to opt out, I will end up in the Rotunda. I'm sure lots of people use the domino scheme -I sure would have if I was in the catchment area.

On another note - if you don;t mind me asking - how were the Rotunda with your request not to have an epidural? Did you find they were supportive? I'd like to know from as many mams as possible so I can be prepared if I do end up giving birth there.

Epidural is in no way pushed in the rotunda. The midwife at the birthing class said the only time they require it (in as far as they actually can require it) is if you're having twins. They want you fully ready for an emergency c-section in that scenario.

I did domino with early transfer home last year. They're a baby friendly hospital, seemed up to date with the latest research and pro natural birth in as far as they can be. They offered me a hypnobirrthing class but I just did the normal one. Also did the breastfeeding class but skipped the physio one. They had no problem in theory with walking around or squatting etc. though the birth suites aren't set up to provide a home like environment. I didn't get to test it as my birth was dramatically fast, I did however get a natural birth . . . no time for anything else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh gosh, it's up to you entirely.I had a fairly brief straightforward birth plan and I just stated in it that I wanted to work through pain relief in stages and manage as long as I could with gas and air and that I'd prefer not to have an epidural.That was it really.I think I've posted this before, but first time round I eventually asked the midwife was I going to get pain relief (gas and air) and she said you tell me when you want it :-) I didn't realise I had to ask! I just never reached a point where I needed an epidural.

Second time round I gave birth in an upright position.There's no comparison.First time I was lying down but that was only because she had wanted to check my progress and I just hadm't got to getting back up again...gas and air spaces me out a bit!!!But I put in plan second time that I would like to be helped to give birth upright second time and it worked out. There was only a midwife in attendance each time and to be honest, they didn't interefere.

I'm further north in dublin county than you and they don't do domino out here either.

LirW wrote: »
    hcass,

the Rotunda certainly does Midwife clinics in Swords too. I had my daughter 3 months ago in the Rotunda, was a C-Section because she was breech. I went for the combined care where I have one appointment at the GP, the next one in the Midwife clinic, and so on. They have amazing midwives.

Thanks - but they don't do a Domino scheme/combined care for home birthers. They only do the midwife clinic/combined care if you are birthing at the hospital.

• Advertisement

My only word to you hcass, would not to be too rigid on what you do and don't want.I actually think you're a bit more relaxed if you go into it accepting that maybe it won't go exactly the way you want.You can get very stressed otherwise.Both my labours were short relatively speaking, 7 and 5 hours each, and I wasn't induced on either. But if I had been induced and in labour for hours and hours I can see how some relief (ie an epidural) might be welcome.So be open to managing it in any and every way possible, up to and including an epidural (I know you have to be in hospital for that). Just make it clear beforehand that that's the way you want it because you won't really be able to articulate much when labour really sets in.

Is anyone doing Gentle Birthing workshop? I am doing it this weekend and they sent me an email saying I get a free three month subscription but I'm not exactly sure how to activate it. I already have the gentle birth app on my phone and just tried using it today. It works (albeit very slowly as my internet is not great at the moment) and I'm wondering does this mean I was automatically subscribed or is it just the initial 7 day free trial I am getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Thanks for setting up the thread @hcass, I hope this remains a positive place to chat about homebirth.

I am with you, insofar as I feel soooo confident about it. My O/H is really on board too. I'm a FTM and an avid researcher. EDD is Sept 12th.

This was one of the first movies I watched, it is produced by Rikki Lake and really helped reinforce my decision when I hadn't quite committed to HB, I really recommend it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCiQrcP0Qas

I watched this movie last week and the hubby suggested watching it again in the run-up to the big day. It is a bit 'hippyish' but it shows you how conservative we are with our plans and how far you could take it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZpEjXLNAc

I've also been listening to these podcasts recently. They are wonderful, lovely to hear the positive birth stories;
    http://circleofbirth.com/index.php/birth-stories/

I did a 2-day hypno-birthing workshop, read the book and have been trying to practice meditation almost every day. Even looking at other home births on YouTube is so inspiring. No wonder the media portrays childbirth as a screaming ordeal - if it was portrayed as a hypno-birthing way, it would make for very boring movies!

When are all the homebirthers here due? What are your biggest concerns?
    I'm 30 weeks and babies head is down but I just hope she remains that way. I also really, really hope I don't go over the 2 weeks as the midwife is only insured to 2 weeks past EDD so then it would be hospital-time.

Thanks for posting all those links - also an avid researcher so love any extra info I can get my hands on!

I'm due last day of September - My biggest concerns...hmmm My GB instructor said not to focus on what you DON'T want and rather on what you do want so I'm trying to do that but - going over the due date is worrying me too. I think if i go over 14 days I may have to give birth in hospital (like yourself) but I will fight my case if both me and baby are in good health and there are no concerns. I have my glucose test next week so that is on my mind a lot too. It could potentially mean the end of my home birth plan so it's difficult to not focus on that :(

I've been using the GB app - I find it fantastic and I really did not see myself as someone who would shout out affirmations or listen to mindfulness tracks! But it really works. I think I may be a hippy deep down Ha ha!

hcass, how did your glucose test go? Did you get the result you wanted?? How are you doing overall?

I was experiencing some lower back ache a few weeks ago and went to see a Cranal Sacrum Therapist. It was amazing... I had to stop myself from nodding off 4 times. It was super relaxing, the pain disappeared and I am going for another session this evening.
    I spent a day writing birthing affirmations and colouring in last weekend so they are stuck up in my kitchen now reminding me daily that 'my baby is designed to fit me' etc.
    I am trying to 'up' my self-care. More massages, yoga etc. I started pregnancy pilates too. I need to cop on though, I am seriously lax with my diet, eating malteasers as I type this!

I'm feeling fantastic - I'm 31 weeks this Saturday. I haven't had any pain,heartburn, or sickness at all. I don't know how i have escaped. I still go to the gym about three times a week and I walk a lot (about 10 miles a day) so that probably helps. I do eat rubbish the odd time though and it's something I knew I would struggle with - I think I'm better than I would be though (if not pregnant).

I use the affirmations from the GB app and I am genuinely positive and have little or no fear about the birth. I had my Glucose test and was all good. So no more hurdles I hope - maybe if baby doesn't get into position or if I go over 14 days it might mean the end but I'm hoping none of that happens.

I'm a total sceptic about alternative therapies, to be honest. My midwife suggested homeopathy but I did some research into it and there is literally no scientific evidence to support it so I am not going to bother. The same with reiki, which a friend recommended - I'm too cynical to try something unless its backed up by tons of science. If I want a massage now I just go to my physio - very relaxing and he's cheaper than any beauty salons. he is very cautious with me though and I think he's not going as hard on meas he would if I wasn't PG! Which is fine cos it's the relaxing side of it I love. I've also booked a night at Monart so am very excited to go there!

How many weeks are you now?

Oh I'm very jealous of you going to Monart, it was just too expensive for me. And 10 miles a day!! Amazing, well done you.

I am 33 wks now and I've booked 2 nights in Seafield in Gorey after my 36 wk appt so really looking forward to that as ive massage, pedi and mani booked :)

Are you having a water birth? I have been reading a lot of stories on www.42weeks.ie, check it out, lots of Irish birth stories.

bytheglass wrote: »
    Oh I'm very jealous of you going to Monart, it was just too expensive for me. And 10 miles a day!! Amazing, well done you.

I am 33 wks now and I've booked 2 nights in Seafield in Gorey after my 36 wk appt so really looking forward to that as ive massage, pedi and mani booked :)

Are you having a water birth? I have been reading a lot of stories on www.42weeks.ie, check it out, lots of Irish birth stories.

I'm definitely having the pool - I'm not certain if I will give birth in it though. I heard Seafield is gorgeous - especially the food. I can only afford Monart cos I'm selling my Electric Picnic tickets (bought last year before I got PG). It's cray expensive and I won;t be getting any treatments :(

I'm not looking forward to the drive down as sitting in certain positions can get uncomfortable - I just sit on my ball now, mostly. Or stand. Probably get varicose veins now...

Oh you poor thing but the trip there will be well worth the discomfort! I have been trying to not look too closely at my legs if I'm honest, elevating them most evenings on the couch has been easy though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi ladies, hope ye are all doing well. I just noticed some one mentioned water birth. I didn't have a home birth but I did have a water birth (Its an option where i live). It was my first and only birthing experience so I have nothing to compare it to but if ye want any info on the water birth side of things ask away.

• Advertisement

Wuffly, it would be great to hear your birth story if you would like to share it.
    Did you labour in water, birth in water or both?
    I've read that it can slow things down if you get in too early? (I might be confused tho).
    Did your partner get in with you? Did your partner catch the baby? How long did you remain in water for? Did you get out for placenta delivery? Did you do skin-to-skin in the water? What about breastfeeding?
    Did you have a stool in the pool? What positions did you use?
    Any tips and advice welcomed!

Wuffly, it would be great to hear your birth story if you would like to share it.
    Did you labour in water, birth in water or both?
    I've read that it can slow things down if you get in too early? (I might be confused tho).
    Did your partner get in with you? Did your partner catch the baby? How long did you remain in water for? Did you get out for placenta delivery? Did you do skin-to-skin in the water? What about breastfeeding?
    Did you have a stool in the pool? What positions did you use?
    Any tips and advice welcomed!

I laboured and gave birth in the pool.
    I was 12days over due so i had the initial part of the induction (the pessary) which kicked off my labour very quickly, if I had to have my waters broken or needed the drip I wouldn't have been able to labour and give birth in the pool so i was lucky it worked for me. It made my labour very strong and hard and I was vomiting with the pain until i got into the pool which was definitely a relief initially. I was in the pool for about 6 hours. My OH didn't get in, didn't really cross my mind and I'm not sure if that's actually allowed here. It's hard tub a bit like a jacuzzi with mood lighting installed(which is bit weird!) so the room itself is actually quiet dark which was nice so you don't have a much of a concept of time.
    I pull my son out once his shoulders where out, utterly indescribably incredible moment, we didn't know whether we were having a boy or a girl so it was out of this world to pull him out and see he was a boy and just see him with no one else involved. I got out for placenta delivery as far as I am aware this is necessary, something about the placenta leaving a vacuum and water going in. I think there were a few tiny stools I remember the midwife using the net occasionally but nothing large and it was quiet dark so it could have been blood spotting as well. When the lights came on it looked like a scene from the exorcist. My OH took our soon to do skin to skin briefly while i walked the bed for placenta delivery, i couldn't pee for some reason so they needed to put a catheter in to drain my bladder before i could deliver the placenta. I also needed a few stitches.
    Position wise mostly sitting and all fours. All fours was quiet comfortable but the mid wife suggested for safety to got back to sitting when delivery was close in case his head came out of the water before his shoulders were out and he was ready to come out, this would have been a problem. (i'm quiet tall to this may have been a factor) sitting allowed me to pull him out myself.

Personally labouring the water is still hard going, I definitely got relief as I stopped vomiting. I did ask if it was too late for drugs (after about 4 hours) but the midwife was really encouraging and told me I was doing fine etc.. (i was 9cm at this stage so it was too late) I would definitely recommend giving birth in the water if you have gone that far and you can... its amazing. Our midwife was perfect, she was great when we needed her, the rest of the time she just stayed quiet and we hardly knew she was there. She really just guided us. I roared the place down and she was super, felt bad I could be heard down the hall, she told me not to worry this was my birth and no one else mattered/would notice. When labouring you need to let it all out, once your pushing you can internalise it all to push, i found this much easier, i had no idea what to do with the pain in labour besides scream! :o

Advise would be make sure you trust/like/are comfortable your midwife (ours was assigned on the night so we were extremely lucky) have lots of healthy snacks and water on standby my husband was feeding me between contractions to keep my strength up which really helped, the water is hot, the room is dark and you're tired, between contractions i was practically asleep. I was open to whatever birth I needed to have a health baby so while I wanted a water birth i tried not to get too hung up on the idea and be relaxed.

I was induced but my labour had started naturally the day before but never kicked off and getting into a warm bath at home caused it stop completely so this might be a case of getting into soon. Although this what I was told to do by the hospital.

I was in active labour when i got in I can't remember exactly I think I was 4cm

Re breastfeeding unfortunately I'm not a success story on that front but nothing to do with the birth. Without going off on too much of a tangent, I breastfeed for 10 weeks. We had the golden hour and bedded in at hospital (which is the policy here) I didn't release it at the time but my son did the breast crawl. There was great encouragement to bf but unfortunately not a lot of good bf advice(tongue tie, a bad latch & issues with my nipples were all missed, we also went back to Ireland after a month which was too soon for us and bf wasn't properly established) Initially it went great he regained his birth weight in 5 days. For BF I would get yourself a good LC to visit when you are home it will be money well spent. Unless you have close family or friends that have experience and can help and even then I still think its worth it. BF support is vital. I do think a water birth is great start for BF and with proper support and advice it should work out.

I feel like I've forgotten bits already! I would definitely go for a water birth again, although I know after a few hours I'll ask for drugs and tell myself I'm a moron for not, but then be utterly thrilled and amazed when the baby arrives... even having one in the hospital didn't feel hospital like at all.

I've rambled on quiet a bit! hope this is useful!

Thank you so much for sharing, Wuffly. I take it that you did not give birth in Ireland so?

Did you wish you had have asked for pain relief earlier or are you glad you missed the window and had to do it naturally?

Thank you so much for sharing, Wuffly. I take it that you did not give birth in Ireland so?  

Did you wish you had have asked for pain relief earlier or are you glad you missed the window and had to do it naturally?
    I live in the middle east at the moment. Home births are not allowed here.  I'm glad I went naturally, to be honest I don't know if I would have actually taken the pain relief if I could have as it would have meant getting out of the pool.

Thanks for sharing your birth story wuffly, you are amazing :heart:
    That indescribable moment of you pulling your son out sounds absolutely out of this world. The mood lighting sounds great! Definately up my street - less distractions please! That's gas how you described it as a scene from the exorcist when the lights came on!!
    I wouldn't call your BF effort unsuccessful! You managed it for 10 weeks! Good advice there re: LC etc, luckily the midwife who attends the home-birth will continue to visit daily for 2 weeks after birth so hopefully we won't need additional assistance but time will tell.
    What were you eating between contractions? Just wondering what types of snacks I should be thinking about stocking up on. Savoury, sweet?
    I'm not surprised there were stools, let's be honest - we'll be surrounded by the babies stuff soon enough so I don't think I'll be embarrassed especially given the situation we'll be in!

Thanks for sharing your birth story wuffly, you are amazing :heart:
    That indescribable moment of you pulling your son out sounds absolutely out of this world. The mood lighting sounds great! Definately up my street - less distractions please! That's gas how you described it as a scene from the exorcist when the lights came on!!
    I wouldn't call your BF effort unsuccessful! You managed it for 10 weeks! Good advice there re: LC etc, luckily the midwife who attends the home-birth will continue to visit daily for 2 weeks after birth so hopefully we won't need additional assistance but time will tell.
    What were you eating between contractions? Just wondering what types of snacks I should be thinking about stocking up on. Savoury, sweet?
    I'm not surprised there were stools, let's be honest - we'll be surrounded by the babies stuff soon enough so I don't think I'll be embarrassed especially given the situation we'll be in!
    Aw thank you. 
    Re BF I suppose I had hoped to do a lot more but I just couldn't get past everything, glad I did what I did and I know I gave it everything I could at the time. I learned sooooo much and really hope to bf for longer next time. 
    That is great about the midwife and follow up, its great to just to have someone to ask simple questions you never think of until the baby arrives! 
    Re snacks I actually made some bars made of dates and dried fruit and nuts, so he was feeding me bits of those, something like the naked bars or anything with some natural sugars to keep your energy up. Anything you like really just something that is easy and quick to eat before another contraction comes along. 
    I'd say there was all sorts in the pool by the end, my waters broke in there too. Glad it was dark, lol, nicer not to see it all until you are getting out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sweendog88

Hi all, new to this site and this thread.
    Just wondering if anyone has done a homebirth in Kildare area? If so, could they recommend a good midwife that is private ? HSW homebirth service from what I have researched can't be relied upon in that they cannot guarantee there will be enough midwives when you go into labour!

Have just had a 17week booking scan in Rotunda and all is well and midwife seemed fine with me suggesting homebirth although hesitated at first!
    thanks

Sweendog88 wrote: »
    Hi all, new to this site and this thread.
    Just wondering if anyone has done a homebirth in Kildare area? If so, could they recommend a good midwife that is private ? HSW homebirth service from what I have researched can't be relied upon in that they cannot guarantee there will be enough midwives when you go into labour!

Have just had a 17week booking scan in Rotunda and all is well and midwife seemed fine with me suggesting homebirth although hesitated at first!
    thanks

Hi Sweendog - I don't know any midwives in Kildare but this website can help you with lots of info about homebirths in Ireland - www.homebirth.ie

And this website supplies private midwives - http://neighbourhoodmidwives.com/
    I think it costs around €6k for a private midwife.

There are so many homebirth facebook groups - find one by searching homebirth in ireland. You'll probably find someone there who can help you.
    I had a public service midwife for my homebirth and she was in amazing. But that was in Dublin.

Advertisement