Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User's Files on Windows 10?

Options
  • 13-06-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I noticed there's an option in Settings > Themes > Desktop Items to display a "user's files" folder. I was curious what this was and enabled it to have a look into it.

It doesn't appear to be an actual folder on the C drive though, so looks like it's just a Windows generated door through which you can access things like app data, desktop etc.

I'm just wondering is this where ALL personal data is stored? I mean, if you were to backup this folder alone, have your laptop stolen, get a new one, reinstall windows 10 and then restore the contents of this folder to the new laptop, would everything be as it was before, including desktop layout, settings, personal files etc?

I personally don't use any of the documents, music, video etc folders and save everything to Desktop and sort it within my own folder so I'm just wondering how it's meant to work, or would you still need to trawl through and backup all the individual files, program settings etc like you had to in XP?

Also, I didn't set up my fingerprint reader until after starting to use W10, at which stage I was asked to create a Hello account. So do I now have TWO accounts on this laptop? When logging in, it welcomes me by my name, but under C:\Users, I don't see my name, I only see the name I gave to the PC when I first installed Windows to it.

Any feedback would be great :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's just the root of their user folder in c:\Users\.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haha, ok, I don't know how I missed to check that! So the user folder which is the computer name, is named as I named the pc on install, but the folder on the desktop is named after my microsoft account name I set up to use the fingerprint reader.

I wonder am I ok to delete all the favourites/one drive/downloads/documents/music folders in my user folder since I never use them.

So given that's the case, I guess I still need to nav through the rest of the files to see if there's anything important to keep backed up if it's not all contained in that folder?

Advertisement