Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Committee on Communications, Forum on Funding Public Service Broadcasting

Options
  • 12-06-2017 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭

http://tinyurl.com/FutureBroadcast
    The Committee is currently considering the future of public service broadcasting in Ireland, in particular the requisite level of public funding required for stations to fulfil their public service objectives.

The Committee has already brought in the major players to provide an overview and update on the current situation.

Following on from that overview, the Joint Committee is carrying out a public consultation on the funding of public service broadcasting in Ireland and is seeking submissions from interested parties and stakeholders on the themes outlined below.

The Committee will consider any suitable written submissions received and may decide to invite a number of contributors to public hearings at a later date.

The Committee will host a consultative forum on 7 July 2017 on the future of public service broadcasting where stakeholders will feature.

Submissions from the various stakeholders can be seen here - http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/oireachtasbusiness/committees_list/ccae/publicservicebroadcasting/#Submissions

According to an article in yesterday's Sunday Indo, "Sky and RTE have clashed over plans by the Government to capture some of the €50m in Irish ad revenue going to the London-based media group and other UK channels

As part of review of the funding of RTE and TG4, Communications Minister Denis Naughten has been exploring ways of getting Sky and other pay-TV platforms to contribute more money to the Irish broadcasting industry.

One option is the introduction of retransmission fees, whereby Sky would pay RTE for carrying its channels. A levy on Irish advertising going to UK channels is also under consideration.
    ".

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/sky-and-rte-clash-over-pay-tv-fee-plans-35812311.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Very annoying it's on a Friday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't think it matters tbh. The Government have made it clear that there's going to be zero change in how PSBs are funded. They really don't want to touch it with a forty foot pole.

icdg wrote: »
    I don't think it matters tbh. The Government have made it clear that there's going to be zero change in how PSBs are funded. They really don't want to touch it with a forty foot pole.

I agree, just a talking heads, and the fact its on a week day shows that they don't want to talk to the people paying the fee.

I refer to your enquiry below and wish to inform you that Friday was the preferred option for Committee Members and Dublin Castle is booked up many months in advance. Deputies sit Tuesday - Thursday for votes in the Dáil and work in their constituencies on weekends.

We hope you can make it to the Forum on 7th July, 2017.

Reply in relation to the day.

I replied that the Dail will soon be in recess and that like other workers TDs could take a Saturday or Sunday off from Constituency work.

Advertisement