Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i repeat 5th year?

Options
  • 12-06-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

for my exam results, i got:

english(hl) 60
    irish (hl) 50
    maths(ol) 40
    french (hl) 72
    biology (ol) 45
    physics hl 12
    home ec hl 57
    accounting ol 38

personally, im too immature for college next year so i don't know whether to repeat or just have a gap year after lc. But, i'm not getting along too well with the parents atm so i don't know if i should or not. i'll be 16 when doing the lc if i dont repeat and 17 going to college which is really ****.... opinions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

What do you want to do OP? Have you got enough points for it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

I did it.

Did pass maths for my junior, did honours for my leaving.

One regret, should have given up biology for physics. This would have allowed me to do applied maths. Back then in my school you had to be doing physics to be able to do applied maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you feel you won't be ready for college you can always take a year out. Those aren't bad results for 5th year summer tests although you may consider dropping a level in physics and maybe even dropping it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Oh they are summer tests!
    No don't repeat 5th year, that's a waste.
    Repeat 6th year and you get 2 cracks at the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In hindsight, I would have repeated the Leaving. About ten years too late to make that call now :rolleyes:

To me it seems like a better option to repeat 6th because you get two shots at the exams (and two dry runs), which you don't in 5th. Also add in the maturity factor, you have an extra year behind you, and there tends to be more concentrated revision during 6th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I repeated 5th year. Changed school and changed some subjects. The subjects was the most important to change which led me to repeat the year. I had chosen subjects I thought would get me a job, which was a mistake. I changed to ones I was good at. Changed my life for the better.

Stop arguing with your parents. Behave in a way that makes them think you're mature. They'll trust you more and increased independence will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 covfefe98

In my case i regretted repeating 5th year (my parents forced me to due to poor results in their eyes). You have the whole summer you can plan out your study and get grinds for your weaker subject.

I repeated 5th and changed a couple of subjects. Pretty much wish I hadn't. Unless ya really want/need to change subjects I'd say go on to 6th and repeat it if you need to.

Advertisement