Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery Ships

Options
  • 12-06-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for all the ships of Discovery. A place where we can post pics of the ships and talk about if we like them or not.
    I have been thinking about the Shenzhou and how its design has changed from what was around 6 months ago to the design now. I have to say I preferred the earlier design it just looks cleaner and more like a UFOP Starfleet ship. UFOP is supposed to be about peace,research,diplomacy and exploration with defense as a secondary objective and is not a military organization.There are supposed to The newer design looks more like a warship. I am also not really a fan of the bridge where it is think it would be better on the top of the saucer but as its in space anyway is there really a top or a bottom?

Just my thoughts would love to know what everyone else thinks and if anyone as any pics of the ships do post them. Be interesting to see the different versions compared side by side.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This is apparently the Shenzhou anyway. I kind of like the look of it, or at least what we can see of it.

hFYTpcf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

It looks very dark, almost like it's adrift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Shenzhou seems to be a plausible descendant of NX-01 and Franklin. No significant secondary hull, nacelles close to the saucer, deflector attached to the saucer. It also seems to have the window type view screen that Franklin and Kelvin shared and the same bronzed hull metal those ships all share. I wonder when Starfleet decided to switch to SEARING WHITE hulls.

Shenzhou is presumably significantly older than Enterprise 1701 and more a contemporary of Kelvin.

A curious thing: from the trailer, it seems like the bridge is on the ventral surface of the saucer, with the deflector on the dorsal surface... or else Shenzhou is upside down in the reveal shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭Inviere

Kiith wrote: »
    This is apparently the Shenzhou anyway. I kind of like the look of it, or at least what we can see of it.

Looks way better than that abomination seen in the teaser trailer anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Certainly in the picture above there seems to be a Klingon influence there too.. the nacelles and bottom half of the ship look very Vor'cha-like to me.

320x240.jpg

Low res/small pic, but it's the right angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

looks like the saucer section is just sitting on a partial Klingon hull

From the other thread, a better view of USS Discovery:

StarTrek_Digital_Teaser_fnl_ship.jpg

An upside down pizza cutter cellotaped onto a Vor'Cha....

Inviere wrote: »
    An upside down pizza cutter cellotaped onto a Vor'Cha....

That's very unkind, they've clearly used proper glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how can anyone design that and think it looks canon? the proportions alone are ridiculously bad, never mind the actual shapes used

• Advertisement

how can anyone design that and think it looks canon? the proportions alone are ridiculously bad, never mind the actual shapes used

Pretty hard to make a Star Trek ship that looks bad from every angle, yet somehow, they've managed it... Unless there's some weird explanation for it, it's gonna take some serious gettin' used to

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I'd sail here. The criticism here is over the top. She's a beaut

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think the views of the Discovery have changed for some people from when we first seen her and because we have seen her on the TV now. For me I think its still a very odd design not like a Starfleet design at all. I do like the way the camera zooms in on it and gives the ship and sense of scale.Even TOS done this good a couple of times. If TNG was to be digitally remastered for instance that is something I would love to see done better for it as it was never done good in that. Imagine how much bigger a Borg Cube would look and also at the end of ''The Best of Both Worlds'' when Picard looks out his window and then it zooms out to the ship. That could be done even better. They could have it moving out from his window just like they have done on Discovery.

For me the best looking ship so far on Discovery has been the Enterprise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I was just having a look at some of the Federation ships in STD and they're all very reminiscent of the NX Enterprise until the Constitution class. Is that the first Starfleet ship design, from an in-universe perspective, to have the two hull and neck configuration?

EDIT: The Daedalus class looks light it might be the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Evade wrote: »
    I was just having a look at some of the Federation ships in STD and they're all very reminiscent of the NX Enterprise until the Constitution class. Is that the first Starfleet ship design, from an in-universe perspective, to have the two hull and neck configuration?

The Columbia class may outdate the Daedalus? it's just an NX+
    Makes it into the Ships of the Line publication whic is canon I belive...
    latest?cb=20160401032953

The Columbia class may outdate the Daedalus? it's just an NX+
    Makes it into the Ships of the Line publication whic is canon I belive...
    latest?cb=20160401032953
    It would but it's in a little bit of a grey area because it was never seen on screen. If it was canon technically the Enterprise in the finale of Enterprise should have been one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    It would but it's in a little bit of a grey area because it was never seen on screen. If it was canon technically the Enterprise in the finale of Enterprise should have been one.

Maybe when it gets digitally remastered in a decade or two they will update it to look like that then and maybe it will get a proper ending as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

AMKC wrote: »
    Maybe when it gets digitally remastered in a decade or two they will update it to look like that then and maybe it will get a proper ending as well.

or redo the whole episode.

Advertisement