Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misinterpretation of Essay title (Irish)

Options
  • 12-06-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I've a student who didn't understand the word cothrom in today's paper regarding society. He wrote about society and the problems as opposed to 'ireland being a fair society'. What are we looking at worse case scenario?

I ask because last year an excellent student received zero when he wrote his debate on young people instead of what was asked, elderly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Did he at least write about Irish society specifically or general problems in any society?

I know a good few people in my class also misinterpreted the Ceapadóireacht questions - namely the one about political leaders (two or three people in my class didn't understand the word for leaders and aren't sure what's going to happen to them now)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 katekitty88

But isn't it possible to disagree that it's a fair society, and talk about why? because I talked about why I believe Ireland is not a fair society and that the statement is untrue in my opinion, and my reasons for taking this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Nyctolust wrote: »
    Did he at least write about Irish society specifically or general problems in any society?

I know a good few people in my class also misinterpreted the Ceapadóireacht questions - namely the one about political leaders (two or three people in my class didn't understand the word for leaders and aren't sure what's going to happen to them now)

What did they think the title was?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

What did they think the title was?

Don't have the paper but 'Irish society is fair in 2017' is what I'm getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Is sochaí chothrom í sochaí na hÉireann sa bhliain 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

For the political leaders one, though - I'm having a minor heart attack (this is why I shouldn't be on Boards after exams :P). I did the political leaders question - I talked about Donald Trump and then political leaders in general, their virtues and vices - should that be okay? It came from a politicians essay and I just switched the word "politician" for "political leader".

I swear I'm going to go study Irish/Biology now :D

But isn't it possible to disagree that it's a fair society, and talk about why? because I talked about why I believe Ireland is not a fair society and that the statement is untrue in my opinion, and my reasons for taking this view.

Yep, disagreeing with a statement is perfectly fine.

And to the person who quoted me - the people in my class thought it was 'political problems' instead of political leaders I think?
    Edit: Yours definitely sounds fine to me though since you were talking about leaders!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MichaelG99

I was banking on daoine gan didean and I presumed it would fit into sothaí cothrom not knowing what cothrom actually meant so I just rattled off my homelessness essay with no reference to the question.. Anyone know how much marks I will lose for that given it was a good essay with good Irish??

With no reference to the question whatsoever there's a chance they'll give you 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Nyctolust wrote: »

Yes, he did write specifically about society in Ireland and only ireland. He even said, it's impossible to say it's a nice society because....blah blah blah. However he began his essay with 'aontaim leis.....'. Isn't it so frustrating how one word can throw someone in the essay.

On another matter, everyone saying the titles were fair. I don't agree with such. Every course I attend they say they want rid of students learning essays by heart. If you asked me to write an essay in English on Brexit, Political Leaders and The housing crisis I'd struggle. Until they make the titles similar to the English composition section we are not allowing students demonstrate their 'actual' standard of Irish. Realistically, titles such as, the pressure on young people, social media etc would have been more suitable.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the general complaint I hear a lot from my peers with essays in Irish and opinion pieces in French is "I can hardly write about that in English, let alone another language."

Advertisement