Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ataribox

Options
  • 12-06-2017 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

What is the most solid info you've got on this console? Apparently it's not for playing retro stuff.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

More info released today, not a lot but it will play modern content. What that is is debatable. But they are doing two models, one on the classic wooden design and one black/Red design.

From the press release.

"Our objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari.

Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD). We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition.

As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content.

We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc. We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so. There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead. We’ll be giving you lots more information and status updates as we progress, and we are thrilled to have you along for the ride!

Hope you like where we are taking this, we’ll be in touch soon.

The Ataribox Project team."

74b88914-9c00-4168-9000-67854d273af1.jpeg

734fc959-fa48-4ccf-94ce-feef427ac553.jpeg

74ec6e13-ed8d-4ce5-8aae-6718e9f5ad94.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You sure those images are big enough

d4QTnjDkYGY6CWfMJnvYHL-650-80.jpg

HMmiC5E4EUpx5F3yuCAGRF-650-80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Size matters :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Those boxes look beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice visual design, but really I'm not expecting anything more than a tarted up Raspberry Pi with some licenced old Atari games. I'll be very surprised if it even live up to the specs of the Nvidia Shield TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Nice visual design, but really I'm not expecting anything more than a tarted up Raspberry Pi with some licenced old Atari games. I'll be very surprised if it even live up to the specs of the Nvidia Shield TV.

I was just gonna post that it looks like a Shield in a different shell.
    No harm in that as the Shield is still a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Tbh, they look no better than if Alienware did branded external HDDs

they do look pretty cool.

But seems like they're saying - "we haven't really built anything yet, we're figuring out as we go along, that's why we can't tell you anymore now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

RasTa wrote: »
    You sure those images are big enough

Yeah, thery're fine. What a cunty post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I like the look of them, but am very curious to what's under the hood, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah, thery're fine. What a cunty post.

Yeah tis fine browsing on a mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah tis fine browsing on a mobile.

Firstworldproblems.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'd agree, but then, what does it matter. If you want this to play anything more than old Atari games, there are better and cheaper options to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this gives me wood

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Hopefully it will be a little bit more than a pi. But I cant see it been up to much either. I reckon as the months go by it will end up been a atari mini of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

eamo22 wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be a little bit more than a pi. But I cant see it been up to much either. I reckon as the months go by it will end up been a atari mini of some sort.
    Pretty much sums up my own "aspirations" folks
    Dom"t say yee were'nt warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As noted yesterday afternoon, it looks like "Atari" are going to be crowdfunding this.
    UPDATE 3.30pm: Since we reported on this story more details have come to light via a French note to investors issued at the end of last month. This note indicates the new Ataribox is to be crowdfunded, a detail which was left out of today's press release.

“To limit risk taking, this product will initially be launched within the framework of a crowdfunding campaign,” the note reads.

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up in any case.

Yup, crowdfunded.

https://youtu.be/k6U93x723tY

:c

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So the Atari 2600 was my first ever console. I had one of the wooden paneled system which I think was the second generation of them produced. I have no idea how many hundreds of hours I spent playing games on it (and this was years before the "only fifty bucks!" version that most people had when I was a teenager).

So with all of that said, what on earth is it for? I mean, a smartphone can emulate literally any piece of past hardware that had an Atari logo on it, so why the need for a fancy box? It is pretty, there's no doubting that, but all I can see this turning into is another Ouya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

"Atari brought us classic games like Pacman, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Space Invaders and Pong."

Joe.ie embarrassing themselves, and me, yet again.

https://www.joe.ie/tech/games-console-atari-595487

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gizmo wrote: »
    As noted yesterday afternoon, it looks like "Atari" are going to be crowdfunding this.

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up in any case.

Just like Atari to be about 5 years too late to the table :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jay768

Seeing they are reviving the Atari I'm interested to see whats in store for the SNES Classic

Got a mass mail from Atari the other day saying they're insanely inundated or something - I signed up as a media agent . But to stay tuned whatever.

A negative vlog :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhQPxIR-wfY

- just to show I'm completely "sitting on the fence"

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Got a mass mail from Atari the other day saying they're insanely slammed or something - I signed up as a media agent . But to stay tuned whatever.
    got the very same email again in my inbox today from atatibox.

- Right So. Have unsubscribed from their mailing list.

...GOODBYE ataribox.

I persume everyone got an email today. 249-299 is the expected price. Crowd founding to begin this fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So similar to the Nvidia Shield only running on an AMD chipset and with Linux instead of Android. Could be interesting enough but definitely wouldn't put down any money for it up front.

So similar to the Nvidia Shield only running on an AMD chipset and with Linux instead of Android. Could be interesting enough but definitely wouldn't put down any money for it up front.

Exactly what I taught about it when I seen the email. Wont be taking part in crowd funding either. See how they turn on before I will gand over cash

• Advertisement
Advertisement