Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property for regular income

Options
  • 12-06-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

Goal: I'd like to have a regular income. 1k to 1.5k / month for example.
    Assets: I have ~160k available in my account.

An option is to purchase an apartment. I think Dublin has a great potential for renting would you agree or is there any better option.

Where would you buy?
    Would you rent on a regular lease or would you go air b and b type of things?
    Would you buy in Ireland or abroad?
    Would you rather go another road?
    Would you take on a mortgage or buy cash? (I was thinking of buying a 1 bed appt for the amount I actually have but I am open to ideas + I have no big income aside.)

Thanks for your input/ideas lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

With only 160k you won't be able to buy in Dublin without a mortgage. So mortgage repayments will cut into your income from rent.

Also you will have trouble getting a mortgage if you don't have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 grandlad

With only 160k you won't be able to buy in Dublin without a mortgage. So mortgage repayments will cut into your income from rent.

Also you will have trouble getting a mortgage if you don't have a job.

I saw a few 1 bedroom apartments for ~150k, not good?

That means I can buy them cash. Potential rental income in the city centre is 1k

Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

grandlad wrote: »
    I saw a few 1 bedroom apartments for ~150k, not good?

That means I can buy them cash. Potential rental income in the city centre is 1k

Am I missing anything?

Tax on rental income, maintenance costs, management fees, cost of eviction if tenant doesnt pay their rent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

ceegee wrote: »
    cost of eviction if tenant doesnt pay their rent...
    seems to be a growing trend. get their foot in the door, then they stop paying the rent. could take up to 12 months to evict, which by that time , your down 12k in rent and add the legal cost. or your tenent might 'suggest' that you pay them ?5k to move on!!. A lot of landlords getting out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Airbnb is the way forward

• Advertisement
Advertisement